Author's urge to Post Too Early

JayDirex

You Authors know what I'm talking about!

So, I have written 8 1/2 chapters of a new story, a mere 15,598 words (a mere 2 minute read for the voracious ones). But Authors are crack-heads, i need support so that I don't post prematurely. We all know 20 chapters is the gold standard, BUT BUT BUT i need the serotonin rush of refreshing the STATISTICS page...seeing people reading my first chapter (and lamenting that they haven't read the second -_- they need to keep reading, wth?)

I need Likes, Favorites....people adding my story to their reading list! Being important! :blob_shade::blob_sweat:

I'M DYING OVER HERE! how do you guys do it? or do you guys just succumb to your PRIMITIVE URGES and just post the story? (no answer is wrong, lol ;)

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
You Authors know what I'm talking about!

So, I have written 8 1/2 chapters of a new story, a mere 15,598 words (a mere 2 minute read for the voracious ones). But Authors are crack-heads, i need support so that I don't post prematurely. We all know 20 chapters is the gold standard, BUT BUT BUT i need the serotonin rush of refreshing the STATISTICS page...seeing people reading my first chapter (and lamenting that they haven't read the second -_- they need to keep reading, wth?)

I need Likes, Favorites....people adding my story to their reading list! Being important! :blob_shade::blob_sweat:

I'M DYING OVER HERE! how do you guys do it? or do you guys just succumb to your PRIMITIVE URGES and just post the story? (no answer is wrong, lol ;)

:blob_evil_two: Hoarding is for the weak. I always post fresh from the press.

DubstheDuke

For my story, I write 1 chapter a day, post 1 chapter a day, edit 2 chapters a day (The one I am about to post, and one at a later part of the story), and I once in a while write more than just 1 chapter a day, which has allowed me to get quite far ahead of what I post.
Currently, I am 88 chapters ahead, with each chapter being somewhere around 3000 words. This gives me a lot of wiggle room to edit things so that I can change them depending on how the story progresses, and a lot of freedom to do whatever I want when I'm writing the first draft, since I know imma come back and edit it 2 more times before it gets released.

JayDirex

I actually marvel at the speed of you guys pumping out three thousand words a day. I lose steam after about 700 -800.

Aside from that I have to think about the story It seems like some of y'all just write everyday but at some point you have to decompress and figure out the plot or at least the minutiae of the scenes?

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I actually marvel at the speed of you guys pumping out three thousand words a day. I lose steam after about 700 -800.

Aside from that I have to think about the story It seems like some of y'all just write everyday but at some point you have to decompress and figure out the plot or at least the minutiae of the scenes?

That is better than mine 400. Hehehe.

D

Deleted member 29316

I just write what I want to write and edit later on. Also, drumloads of coffee and brainstorming works for me. And I don't post right away.

For edits, I do it three times. And I try to finish my story as soon as possible since prolonging it would make me feel like wanting to edit it again and again.

I'm 77 chapters ahead with the later chapters averaging the 6k word count.

LostinMovement

Nah. More like I 'save up words' and then write it on one go.
That only makes you more godlike XD We, the feeble mortal kind, need at least a whole day to write a 2.5k-3k chapter. I naturally tend to write slower, it just how my mind works. I also edit as I write so maybe that is why.

D

Deleted member 29316

And the 6k word count is tad too many for most readers, so I always have low readership.

I also get tempted from releasing too much, but then again my colleagues often remind me that I might overwhelm my readers so I have to restrain myself.

Owl

Nervous writer
As someone with a lot of words now.... It's practice. I couldn't handle writing so much at the start either, but I've gotten used to it and saving them up feels natural now. (I still refresh the page often enough :P)
(Edit for those who don't feel like checking; I've got about 500k+ words posted)

D

Deleted member 29316

That only makes you more godlike XD We, the feeble mortal kind, need at least a whole day to write a 2.5k-3k chapter. I naturally tend to write slower, it just how my mind works. I also edit as I write so maybe that is why.

Hmm...my 'one go' means a month of writing. I always try to put deadlines on myself, or I'd do another 10 year story in the making.

I edit three times after I write. Three only because again, I might end up editing the story endlessly.

Plus, don't be pressured. Writing is for enjoyment, unless you're writing a thesis. Do it at your pace.

JayDirex

. It's practice. I couldn't handle writing so much at the start either, but I've gotten used to it and saving them up feels natural now.
(Edit for those who don't feel like checking; I've got about 500k+ words posted)
so it's a skill to be practiced. hey, make sense.

DubstheDuke

For me personally, when I was first writing my story I was doing it 1 chapter at a time, but gradually my story-lines got bigger and bigger, with more characters, more scenes, more buildup, more places, and just bigger overall. It started where I had arcs that lasted about 5-10 chapters, and then sorta spiraled outwards.
As of recent, I wrote a long long arc that ended up lasting a full 3 Volumes, with each Volume being somewhere between 250 and 400 pages. Of course, there were many detours and side scenes and characters and development that went into this extremely long term project, but looking back on it I am extremely proud of how it went overall. I intended this arc to be only 1 Volume, but there was just so much to do, so many scenes to write, so many characters to introduce, and I just sorta lost myself in the writing.
But yes. I do spend a looooot of time thinking up these long stories. It takes me forever to think up a single backstory, a single character, a single place. But I absolutely love the concept of writing all these little stories, and connecting them together with one big overarching plot- which is essentially what I did here. There were many stories going on individually during the first 2 Volumes of the arc, and then they all came together for a big climax in the 3rd. It was spectacular.
Though, one thing I will say is that I always start out with a skeleton.
I plan a big arc out. The themes. The major details. The overall goal. And as I write, it seems like everything fills in itself. Ideas pop into my head for later on, as I write more often than not. And of course, sometimes I gotta twist and turn to make them work, but sometimes not. I often find that I write myself into a certain event, without realizing that I've even done so- then I realize it and I'm like oh my goodness this is genius (Even tho everyone reading realized it was gonna happen except me)

Last edited:

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
We're supposed to write twenty chapters ahead? Dang. I've been posting as I write. Course I've also been using votes to decide some stuff in one of my stories, sooooooo, yeah. Hard to write ahead much with that. I suppose I'll try sometime.

ForestDweller

I have two readers that really love suggesting/correcting/asking about the plot, so if I go 20 chapters ahead, I can't really adapt to their comments.

JayDirex

For me personally, when I was first writing my story I was doing it 1 chapter at a time, but gradually my story-lines got bigger and bigger, with more characters, more scenes, more buildup, more places, and just bigger overall. It started where I had arcs that lasted about 5-10 chapters, and then sorta spiraled outwards.
As of recent, I wrote a long long arc that ended up lasting a full 3 Volumes, with each Volume being somewhere between 250 and 400 pages. Of course, there were many detours and side scenes and characters and development that went into this extremely long term project, but looking back on it I am extremely proud of how it went overall. I intended this arc to be only 1 Volume, but there was just so much to do, so many scenes to write, so many characters to introduce, and I just sorta lost myself in the writing.
But yes. I do spend a looooot of time thinking up these long stories. It takes me forever to think up a single backstory, a single character, a single place. But I absolutely love the concept of writing all these little stories, and connecting them together with one big overarching plot- which is essentially what I did here. There were many stories going on individually during the first 2 Volumes of the arc, and then they all came together for a big climax in the 3rd. It was spectacular.
Though, one thing I will say is that I always start out with a skeleton.
I plan a big arc out. The themes. The major details. The overall goal. And as I write, it seems like everything fills in itself. Ideas pop into my head for later on, as I write more often than not. And of course, sometimes I gotta twist and turn to make them work, but sometimes not. I often find that I write myself into a certain event, without realizing that I've even done so- then I realize it and I'm like oh my goodness this is genius (Even tho everyone reading realized it was gonna happen except me)
the unexpected twists and turns belonging to your subconscious. did you know that your subconscious can write your story while you're sleeping?

Also the fact that you write so much and are so creative that means the muscle in your brain is constantly working. So it's looking for things such as sub plot, twists, better scenes, etc.