Author's urge to Post Too Early

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
I post them as soon as I finish editing them. I started my story with 3K words per chapter and the general outline for it; posting on random days on March. On April, my day to post became fixed. I post on Saturdays, and the number of words increased to 4K. At this point in the story most of my second characters and cannon fodder became main characters, screwing my outline except for major events. So now I write 5K words per chapter and rest on Sundays to avoid burning out, using the weekend to get ideas for the plot, connecting the dots to the major events. I usually finish it on Friday and edit on Saturday.

It's a disadvantage when I can't work, black outs and getting sick being the main reasons, but I always manage to post weekly by making my chapter shorter.

At first I was obsessed over statistics, but I managed to calm myself and stop paying attention to them.

I recommend it? Unless you're quick-witted and have good memory, then no. I didn't understand my characters until chapter 6, so there's a lot of inconsistencies. But I needed to start doing it right away and get experience, avoiding perfectionism at all costs.

I just do it my own pace. they're pretty patient and say take your time as well.

i don't really post it straight away.

i kinda at least want to give it one last read before actually trashing the entire draft since i eventually found something better. i think it's probably better to only post when i have something i'm satisfied with, than going with something i'll eventually regret.

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
I usually post my chapters the moment they're done. There's only one story I had started a backlog for, and then it just emptied and that was that >_> I'm not meant for the backlog life, I live in the moment

Polarize4777

I haven't even posted a story, and all I can say is that you should take a break from looking at the stats and place your attention to the story and keep on writing lol.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
It's pretty hard for me tbh, I get a lot of motivation from reading comments and stuff... My release pace for stockpiling has been a lot slower than when I was actively releasing... T.T

JayDirex

I haven't even posted a story, and all I can say is that you should take a break from looking at the stats and place your attention to the story and keep on writing lol.
nah, writers don't write to hoard. we write because we have the story stuck in her head but we want readers to like them too. I don't obsess with stats but they matter. they are an indicator of whether your story is good enough for people to want to read it. and that matters. as for these folks who can edit one time God bless you. I am a lot tougher (and I guarantee you don't want me proofreading your stuff because I will rewrite it). 😈

Fuyutsuki_Kaori

or do you guys just succumb to your PRIMITIVE URGES and just post the story?

I am a caveman and so the Primitive Ways are my thing. No statistics no trends.... just write a story and evolve as a writer along the way.

I remember how I first wrote and there were a lot of grammatical and typographical error (they still exist even now though), but I must say that I have come along way from my first write ups.

I also re-read my own stories, check for errors, paraphrase sentences according to the new things I learn by reading other authors works(professionals and amateurs alike).

D

Deleted member 22014

I procrastinate my work and left it as it is ..., because of RL business.

I usually write ten or so chapters before editing it. I post it into SH while still in the editing process. And when I am in this edit/post periods, I don't continue my writing, it's like I can't. Some readers commented here, and there...., suggestion and pointed out mistakes I made. And I can't concentrate. Well, whatever ..., it's great that my work gets that much attention.

Right now I'm stuck in chapter 41 with the average words about 2,500.

Polarize4777

nah, writers don't write to hoard. we write because we have the story stuck in her head but we want readers to like them too. I don't obsess with stats but they matter. they are an indicator of whether your story is good enough for people to want to read it. and that matters. as for these folks who can edit one time God bless you. I am a lot tougher (and I guarantee you don't want me proofreading your stuff because I will rewrite it). 😈
I can agree on that sentiment of writing to release your ideas, and I see writing as a personal challenge to test your writing and see how far you can take your initial ideas and take them to the end. At the moment I am reading a lot of books and practicing writing short story until I can write better dialogues and also improve my grammars.

Gastic

You Authors know what I'm talking about!

So, I have written 8 1/2 chapters of a new story, a mere 15,598 words (a mere 2 minute read for the voracious ones). But Authors are crack-heads, i need support so that I don't post prematurely. We all know 20 chapters is the gold standard, BUT BUT BUT i need the serotonin rush of refreshing the STATISTICS page...seeing people reading my first chapter (and lamenting that they haven't read the second -_- they need to keep reading, wth?)

I need Likes, Favorites....people adding my story to their reading list! Being important! :blob_shade::blob_sweat:

I'M DYING OVER HERE! how do you guys do it? or do you guys just succumb to your PRIMITIVE URGES and just post the story? (no answer is wrong, lol ;)
i basically feel the same as you do when it comes to seeing readers, with me i feel like a meth head without his hourly dose of crack if i can't respond to people in the comments of my story. I post when i feel inspiration or happy enough to do it, if i force myself to post or come up with a chapter then it might come out mediocre or straight up uncreative

Gastic

i basically feel the same as you do when it comes to seeing readers, with me i feel like a meth head without his hourly dose of crack if i can't respond to people in the comments of my story. I post when i feel inspiration or happy enough to do it, if i force myself to post or come up with a chapter then it might come out mediocre or straight up uncreative
i also make up the chapters in my head as i post almost daily that way readers can tell its still creative because the shit that comes from my mind spits all types of crazy.

Alienix

For my story, I write 1 chapter a day, post 1 chapter a day, edit 2 chapters a day (The one I am about to post, and one at a later part of the story), and I once in a while write more than just 1 chapter a day, which has allowed me to get quite far ahead of what I post.
Currently, I am 88 chapters ahead, with each chapter being somewhere around 3000 words. This gives me a lot of wiggle room to edit things so that I can change them depending on how the story progresses, and a lot of freedom to do whatever I want when I'm writing the first draft, since I know imma come back and edit it 2 more times before it gets released.
excuse me, what training did you do so you could have a high endurance to write. If I sat in the front of laptop too long, may back always ached. lol. I could only write 500 words a day.

DubstheDuke

excuse me, what training did you do so you could have a high endurance to write. If I sat in the front of laptop too long, may back always ached. lol. I could only write 500 words a day.
Sorry to say, but I have no training regime. I don't even really know myself how I have the tolerance to write so much, but I guess just because I find it to be fun, and because I like sticking to a hard schedule. I don't like being wishy washy and saying "Ah well I guess ill write a bit today."

No.

Even if I don't want to, I write.

Even if I'm busy, I write.

And most importantly, I'm not scared of writing something bad.

So many writers I see are so scared of writing something bad that they sit at a screen for hours thinking before putting down a single sentence.

I just go and do it. Of course, there is thought that goes into it, but I'm not gonna spend hours on wording a single sentence. Most of the time, I write what pops into my head, having only a basic frame planned out from the start.

The point is, just write. And don't say 'I will do it when I have inspiration.' Because that inspiration will never come, unless you write.

So many things in my writing I think of, as I am writing. If I came up with the entire story outside of writing, it would be a shell of what it is.

MajorKerina

I have a lot of backlog content I need to desperately edit and not overloading folks with new stuff while keeping them engaged is the great balance mystery of figuring stuff out on here.

By the way, if you have MS Word - READ ALOUD. It is a godsend. Sure, a computer voice makes your writing sound like emotionless trash but you get over it. Grammarly Free helps with everything punctuation-related and gives you reasons if you just want to veto their suggestions.

Polarize4777

My recommendation is to read a lot of books from all genres to first increase your vocabulary, and then learn how to implement description and actions in your writing. This will help in many aspects such as dialogue, and it will also make for a more organic feel to your writing to help immerse the readers. Personally I stop reading actual books a long time ago and now I am back to reading physical or E-books to increase my vocab and learn how to set up dialogues. Writing can be hard when you lack the needed words to set up a scene or to describe the motion of events, so it is highly advise to amp up your reading of decently high level books to get new vocabulary build up. While you are reading books that are published and edited by professional, I think you can learn a lot from seeing the way they set up and structure their writing. I am going to make it clear that not all books written and publish professionally are great, so take that as a grain of salt and be careful from whom you decide to read and maybe learn from.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
What kind of conflict is restraining the urge to p.? Is it human vs self or human vs nature?

SwirlyUnicorn

vous me voyez
What I usually do is I will delay posting for a day or two then read and edit it once more. I dunno for others but it works for me. That's the time where I could notice redundancies, errors, cheesiness, etc. After cringing and asking myself why did I write those parts, I will post it.

JayDirex

What I usually do is I will delay posting for a day or two then read and edit it once more. I dunno for others but it works for me. That's the time where I could notice redundancies, errors, cheesiness, etc. After cringing and asking myself why did I write those parts, I will post it.

That is the proper course of action. The sad thing is, every single one of us, no matter how many times we edit. If we come back a month later and read what we posted on SH, maaaan that REVISION number will climb every time I read it..GOD!! WHY DOES OUR WORK ALWAYS NEED TO BE FIXED??

*dies* :sweating_profusely:
*pat-pats everyone* :blob_highfive: