Avid Readers Of SH, What Makes A Synopsis Hook You Immediately?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Honestly, if the synopsis becomes a lie, I have a high chance of dropping the story... Like...

If I started reading a novel because it looked like a fun slice of life, and it suddenly became a convoluted story about a commoner rebellion trying to overthrown the current royalty and what not... I kinda lose my motivation to read, because I wanted to read a slice of life and stuff...

So well... I dunno, I think most stories hold true to their synopsis? It's rare for me to think like I'm reading about something different than what I initially went after.
And yet I had been betrayed in so many written works, tv series and movies throughout my bleeding life.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
And yet I had been betrayed in so many written works, tv series and movies throughout my bleeding life.

ludagad

Introduces the MC and the premise. Maybe introduces the love interest, but that's not required, just something I like. Something that puts me off - ending the synopsis with a question or two ("Will MC manage to do XYZ, or will he fail" type).

Furthermore, if the synopsis doesn't have any noticeable spelling or grammatical errors, it gives me high hopes for the story. And if we go further from that, things like writing style, pacing and word choices in the synopsis can give me a pretty good idea what to expect. That part is subjective and depends on your personal taste tho.

Akasora

I like the synopsis that actually told what the story is about, fuck those mysterious synopsis on generic isekai... One thing I like about jp LN are their ridiculously long tittles because its actually told you what to expect.

DemonOppai

Yandere’s Lover Corpse Collector
There are so many various ways I get hooked by a synopsis but there is one thing in common: they present a clear idea.

There are a lot of synopsis here where the author seems to try to be "mysterious" by being opaque or withholding information. They essentially want you to read the story to find out. I end up not interested. I don't want to read a story to find out what is interesting about it, I want to read a story because there is something interesting about it.

You might also notice that I didn't include "interesting" but only "clear" as the requirement. This is because what is interesting to someone is subjective. I read a typical "reincarnated into a monster" synopsis and I would give that story a try. Just as long as the author presents a clear idea as to what the author is going for, then it would likely catch my attention.
I just want one that has a big titied goth girl then I'm hooked, that and yanderes.. I have a special obsession with them...

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Depends on how much info the title gives.

If it's like "I was reborn as XXX", then just make it short since I already know the main point. If it's a cryptic phrase or word that is supposed to be dropped somewhere mid chapter like "Watermelon of the Avenger", please give a sentence or two introducing the world or mc.

Leti

A synopsis is supposed to be a brief summary of the story, right? I would less likely to read a story where the synopsis is as long as its chapters or doesn't explain anything.

DDTStudios

I’m not sure, I’m an author so I keep my synopsis brief. I try to be as clear as possible without giving too many spoilers besides a somewhat vague ending. I want the readers to follow a character and watch how they grow over the course of their journey. Personally, I’m not a big fan of harems or sex related novels but there are some exceptions.

JayDirex

Not just vague clarity, more specific. Look at two of my synopsis below. I tend to follow a formula. FEEL FREE TO USE THE FORMULA, BECAUSE IT WORKS @Yorth

Synopsis: The Villainous Lee Twins

In this action packed shoot-em-up! We meet gutsy twin bounty hunters, Bro and Sis. A wild pair who thrive on snaring high-reward fugitives. But one day a dangerous job goes violently wrong, and the twins become the target of two murderous crews out to kill the bounty they're transporting. Now trapped between warring sides, BULLETS FLY as the siblings go full metal jacket to guard their bounty and stay alive!
Assassin girls, Baka Twins, Battle Rifles, Crime, Action Packed!!

1. Who's the MC: The Twins, Bro and Sis.
2. What is he/she they about? (their normal thing) Kick ass Bounty Hunters/wild pair.
3. What is the conflict that broke up the normal. A high-risk bounty job goes wrong, now crews trying to kill them.
4. How do they attempt to resolve the conflict: Lock-load and shoot their way out- who knows if they lives or dies

Synopsis: Rica Wants Him Dead

In this Crime/Drama/Romance- We meet Teen Assassin, Ko. One of the best in the business. After rescuing a Korean mob boss’s five year old daughter from kidnappers he becomes a hunted man in New York City. Now on the run and desperate to protect the child, Ko discovers there’s only one person willing to help him: The beautiful and deadly Rica Reyes. A villainous Teen Rifle Girl from Ko’s past, who once tried to kill him. Out of options he's forced to trust Rica and accept her aid. But Ko is no fool, and he knows that the price Rica will extract for her help could cost him everything. - Teen Romance, Tsundere, Light Novel, YA, Assassins

1. Who's the MC: Teen Ko
2. What is he/she they about? (their normal thing) Kick butt Assassin, one of the best.
3. What is the conflict that broke up the normal. He rescued a mob boss kidnapped daughter, now bad-dudes trying to kill him
4. How does he attempt to resolve the conflict: Seeks help from dangerous girl from his past- who knows if he lives or dies.

~ too easy!

WhoCares

I like synopses that show me a little of what to expect. Not plotwise but rather what I can expect from the author. A 'clear' synopsis that just boils down to a generic template won't catch my interest but one that gives me a taste of the writer's flair (and therefore promises to be actually fun to read?) yes please!

Akasora

"(Insert name here) isn't your ordinary protagonist as he has his own scars and trauma" I hate this kind of synopsis because protagonist with "scars and trauma" are very common and ordinary...

Nyaa

It must have a few juicy details to give an accurate feel for what the story is about.

If it -
  • Seems misleading
  • Seems incomplete
  • Obscures important information
  • Fails to provide a summary and set expectations
- I'll move on and avoid the story without a second thought.

A synopsis needs to accurately represent the key elements of the story. I need to know what a story is about even if a few key points must be spoiled.
Honesty is also important - if the story betrays the expectations set in the synopsis, I'll probably end up dropping it.

Authors: Don't think I'll go read the first few chapters find out what was left out (intentionally or unintentionally). I won't.
Write a proper description and set the proper tags, or I won't read.