Awkward moment in writting

MisterSyafiq

I have written almost 50 chapters of my story' lately...
Ya know? I dodn't even remember the MC's name.
But, I do know well about the other characters.
This... Make me Stress
Should I make an "amnesia" arch?

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
This... Make me Stress
If the name was never mentioned, then just make a new name.

rain-090

This... Make me Stress
I am split, as a reader, amnesia arcs suck, but an amnesia arc where the Mc remembers everyone and everything except who they are would be pretty interesting

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
This... Make me Stress
What is MC name

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
I hate naming things, so in my drafts I just write name1, name2 ect or just XXX as a placeholder, and then go back afterwards when I have come up with a good name (spoiler, it is often randomly generated or lifted from some of my favorite novels.)

The problem was that I had forgotten to replace one such occurrence, so I posted a chapter where one character was considering whether to join the XXX sect.
Nobody in the comments saw fit to point this out to me, so I only noticed a few weeks later as I was rereading myself.

MisterSyafiq

If the name was never mentioned, then just make a new name.
I did mention it once, but forget what chap
I am split, as a reader, amnesia arcs suck, but an amnesia arc where the Mc remembers everyone and everything except who they are would be pretty interesting
Nice to hear that

What is MC name
Bruh, that's my question
I guess your story's in the first person.
right
Nobody in the comments saw fit to point this out to me, so I only noticed a few weeks later as I was rereading myself.

I did experience that too, bro

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
My advice is to just invent a new name and pretend that was it all along. Most readers won’t remember a name you mentioned once.
One day someone will notice and complain about it, and at that point you can fix it.
This isn’t a big issue that will make your readers drop/think less of your story, so it isn’t really worth it to write an entire arc to solve a minor detail. Just forget it and move on.

MisterSyafiq

My advice is to just invent a new name and pretend that was it all along. Most readers won’t remember a name you mentioned once.
One day someone will notice and complain about it, and at that point you can fix it.
This isn’t a big issue that will make your readers drop/think less of your story, so it isn’t really worth it to write an entire arc to solve a minor detail. Just forget it and move on.
I do love your advice, bro...

Marunikyu

Most excellent anti-Marxist smut writer
The problem was that I had forgotten to replace one such occurrence, so I posted a chapter where one character was considering whether to join the XXX sect.
Every reader was like "flock yeah, join the XXX sect! Who cares about the Immortal Fire Fist sect!"

In my case I have a file listing every character, their name lol (I also use blanks for characters that aren't planned for a long time), their bio, clothes, abilities, personalities, history with MC... At least that's what I try to do. In practice only secondary characters & MC can get that treatment.

Mr.Grey-Cat

join the XXX sect.
Here, showing my goodwill to the XXX sect, so I will donate a sect gate.

Gates_of_Hell_at_Fengdu_Ghost_City.JPG

Ay89AZ

This... Make me Stress
I think it would be a fantastic moment to make it so that the narrator is not the MC but someone completely different and everything is just a mindf--k. Though, you could always just look back during revision to get it done.