Bad timing when writing?

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
I was writing a scene with the death of a loved one, when something stressful happened. I almost started writing something completely uncharacteristic of my MC, and had to catch myself. I'm currently taking a couple hour break to de-stress so I can get back to writing without tainted emotions.

My question is, has anyone else had a similar problem, where you had to stop writing an important scene because your emotions were thrown off. It doesn't have to be something bad. I've had something similar happen when I was trying to write a dark scene, but was too happy and it felt weird. So I had to go back and rewrite it. It doesn't have to be specific, but what ways do you use to fix the disrupted flow quicker?

I'm going to take a bubble bath. Emotions and writing are weird sometimes.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I wrote an entire character once which I had to rewrite because the next morning I found out that said character would be canceled the moment the world knew about it.

J_Chemist

I've written and fully posted two entire chapters that were emotionally charged by what I wanted at the time. One was written after watching an action flick, the other after reading a manga with giant monsters that made me want to integrate something similar into my own story.

I posted them, waited two hours, and then immediately backtracked and had to rewrite them. I was up late into the night both times and hated myself for it as I post on Sundays. Now I make sure to detach myself from whatever I'm feeling and follow the outline and Rules of the World.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
I have not.
Paul_Tromba said:
I wrote an entire character once which I had to rewrite because the next morning I found out that said character would be canceled the moment the world knew about it.
That's the great part about editing. You can cut out all the horrendously offense bits before you publish it

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Have you tried pushing the fetus through your cervix? I thought that would help, but it just made things worse for me.