Banned from leaving a review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cauldrons

And as I said, this isn’t being made for profit. If it was, it would be a completely different scenario. When works are for profit, authors cannot do anything about it, and are best left to ignore it. You tend to forget, that this site is far from anything professional. Your comparison is a moot point at best. Hence, given that these works are free, the author has 100% control on what they do. Quit complaining about it. Don’t say anything at all, use your better judgment. I only give reviews if an author asks for it. Other than this, I mind which words I say. Taking into account what may come across as offensive. A ban is a ban, the fault is entirely on the person who got the ban.
If an author didn't want reviews and comments then they shouldn't post it on the internet for all to see and judge. To borrow his analogy If you open a restaurant to the public expect some bad reviews.

Valmond

If an author didn't want reviews and comments then they shouldn't post it on the internet for all to see and judge. To borrow his analogy If you open a restaurant to the public expect some bad reviews.
That’s pretty much it, and in that sense. The reviewer cannot complain if they get banned, since the work is for free. It works both ways.

Aaky

And as I said, this isn’t being made for profit. If it was, it would be a completely different scenario. When works are for profit, authors cannot do anything about it, and are best left to ignore it. You tend to forget, that this site is far from anything professional. Your comparison is a moot point at best. Hence, given that these works are free, the author has 100% control on what they do. Quit complaining about it. Don’t say anything at all, use your better judgment. I only give reviews if an author asks for it. Other than this, I mind which words I say. Taking into account what may come across as offensive. A ban is a ban, the fault is entirely on the person who got the ban.
or just don't post in public lol. Keep your stories to yourself.

If you are posting your work for the public for the world to see, expect criticism.

Valmond

or just don't post in public lol. Keep your stories to yourself.

If you are posting your work for the public for the world to see, expect criticism.
And I agree there, criticism is part of the process after all. Though, as I stated, multiple times. The work is free, it is not paid for. The standards do not apply as the same. If the work was paid for, then naturally, reviews are mandatory, and the author has no control over this in the least. This is one of the reasons why it is better to ignore it. Now onto the next point, these sites are free. More often than not, the users aren’t here to make a profit. A lot of them simply wishes to just write, and have somewhere to put it. Similarly, much like social media. If you do something offensive, no matter what it is really. If it is in some form of violation, a ban is a ban. Whether this is against a specific person, or a group, etc.

Since the work is free, it has a lot of more flexibility than one that is not. Along this line, if they choose to ban an individual, then that is that. It works both ways. While I do not agree with the method, I also cannot complain. This is due to the fact that the work is free. There is another old saying. You get what you pay for. The work is free, so as a result, gotta also expect some more unwelcoming forms of barring. With this being stated, there is nothing to complain about. Deal with it, don’t say anything at all, it is as simple as that. Gotta also realize, that words have consequence. Freedom to speak, yes, but not freedom to the consequences of your words. If those words lead to a ban, well, you had the right to say it, but you don’t have the right to reject it. This is another reason why I say, be weary of your words. What happens as a result, is solely on the fault of the person who did so.

Cauldrons

And I agree there, criticism is part of the process after all. Though, as I stated, multiple times. The work is free, it is not paid for. The standards do not apply as the same. If the work was paid for, then naturally, reviews are mandatory, and the author has no control over this in the least. This is one of the reasons why it is better to ignore it. Now onto the next point, these sites are free. More often than not, the users aren’t here to make a profit. A lot of them simply wishes to just write, and have somewhere to put it. Similarly, much like social media. If you do something offensive, no matter what it is really. If it is in some form of violation, a ban is a ban. Whether this is against a specific person, or a group, etc.

Since the work is free, it has a lot of more flexibility than one that is not. Along this line, if they choose to ban an individual, then that is that. It works both ways. While I do not agree with the method, I also cannot complain. This is due to the fact that the work is free. There is another old saying. You get what you pay for. The work is free, so as a result, gotta also expect some more unwelcoming forms of barring. With this being stated, there is nothing to complain about. Deal with it, don’t say anything at all, it is as simple as that. Gotta also realize, that words have consequence. Freedom to speak, yes, but not freedom to the consequences of your words. If those words lead to a ban, well, you had the right to say it, but you don’t have the right to reject it. This is another reason why I say, be weary of your words. What happens as a result, is solely on the fault of the person who did so.
That's an idealist's vision not one of reality. looks good on paper but not so much in practice. You can't stop people from judging a work and the more you try the more people dislike it and work to circumvent it. It doesn't matter if it's free the work is out in the public.

Valmond

That's an idealist's vision not one of reality. looks good on paper but not so much in practice. You can't stop people from judging a work and the more you try the more people dislike it and work to circumvent it. It doesn't matter if it's free the work is out in the public.
Yeah, judgment will always be there. No getting around it. Though, as I said. It works both ways. You get what you paid for. The work is free, so what happens-happens. Freedom to speak as I said, but not freedom to the consequences of one’s words. Which is why as stated before, be weary of your words. It is better to not say anything at all. Humans have the capacity to reason, which is also why they are held accountable for their actions. Whether this may be unfair or not, it works all the same. If you say something, and if it triggers someone. Then a ban is a ban. You gained the consequences of your words, but you also freely spoke what you meant. Nothing has been in violation.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
I think authors need to be challenged when readers feel something doesn't make sense or they face the risk of not growing as an author. Trial by fire if you will. They need to A. grow from mistakes, and learn to take reader discontent or B. never improve their writing
You're point is really good. Unfortunately, not all authors take things as a mere grain of salt. Sometimes, it also hurts a lot on their part. That's one thing I learned. A painful lesson both as reader and an author. So if I want to help the author become better I tend to send it via dm. Anyway, I feel your point.

Nneeil

Okay, I don't want to make this a bigger deal than it is, and nor do I want this to snowball into an argument that ends up antagonizing everyone. Scribble Hub is not a professional site, but it is a competitive one. If you put your work online, it's because you want some kind of feedback, right? If no one reads their work, would they still strive to publish chapters? Ah, of course, I whole-heartedly agree with what you said. If you have nothing positive to say, then don't say it. It works wonders both in the workplace and in personal relationships, but as I stated, it doesn't apply to reviews. The whole point of a review is to leave a thought about the work you're reading, be it positive or negative. And there's nothing we can do about it, people are opinionated. Don't expect everyone to use their "better judgment" because hardly anyone will care about the mood they'd make the author feel due to their 'bad review'. It is what it is. You just have to swallow the bitter pill and move on. And just because a work is free, it shouldn't be barred from being judged. Also, for all we know, that author might be running a Patreon with advanced chapters, and Salvin might have joined... I don't know, I don't care. A bad review is not going to push anyone into suicide, it's not going to cause some sort of psychological trauma to the author—as long as it is constructive, that is. When you put your story online, you should know exactly what you're getting yourself into.

Edit: Okay, reading what I just wrote kinda makes me come off as a bastard. My apologies. I don't want to offend you or anyone else.

Valmond

Okay, I don't want to make this a bigger deal than it is, and nor do I want this to snowball into an argument that ends up antagonizing everyone. Scribble Hub is not a professional site, but it is a competitive one. If you put your work online, it's because you want some kind of feedback, right? If no one reads their work, would they still strive to publish chapters? Ah, of course, I whole-heartedly agree with what you said. If you have nothing positive to say, then don't say it. It works wonders both in the workplace and in personal relationships, but as I stated, it doesn't apply to reviews. The whole point of a review is to leave a thought about the work you're reading, be it positive or negative. And there's nothing we can do about it, people are opinionated. Don't expect everyone to use their "better judgment" because hardly anyone will care about the mood they'd make the author feel due to their 'bad review'. It is what it is. You just have to swallow the bitter pill and move on. And just because a work is free, it shouldn't be barred from being judged. Also, for all we know, that author might be running a Patreon with advanced chapters, and Salvin might have joined... I don't know, I don't care. A bad review is not going to push anyone into suicide, it's not going to cause some sort of psychological trauma to the author—as long as it is constructive, that is. When you put your story online, you should know exactly what you're getting yourself into.

Edit: Okay, reading what I just wrote kinda makes me come off as a bastard. My apologies. I don't want to offend you or anyone else.
Look, I will be blunt here. Read every last post I made.

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
The site owner has already given his verdict, that's just how it is. Scribblehub is meant to be a chill place, rather than taking itself seriously. I would assume that it's just a hobby for a lot of authors here, which means it's up to them whether or not they want to take the criticism, and you should just accept it; it's free service. There's a reason why some people here give distinction between SH and RRL, and choose the former against the latter or the latter over the former. Move on.

I live by the words that "if something is true, then the opposite is also true."

If you think the author should just suck up the negative reviews, the readers should also prepare themselves to suck it up if the author doesn't want their opinion - unless there's a rule which bars them from doing so, which clearly isn't the case given here.

Valmond

The site owner has already given his verdict, that's just how it is. Scribblehub is meant to be a chill place, rather than taking itself seriously. I would assume that it's just a hobby for a lot of authors here, which means it's up to them whether or not they want to take the criticism, and you should just accept it; it's free service. There's a reason why some people here give distinction between SH and RRL, and choose the former against the latter or the latter over the former. Move on.

I live by the words that "if something is true, then the opposite is also true."

If you think the author should just suck up the negative reviews, the readers should also prepare themselves to suck it up if the author doesn't want their opinion - unless there's a rule which bars them from doing so, which clearly isn't the case given here.
Yep, hit the nail on the head. It works both ways.

Nneeil

Yes lol, authors have to suck it up. That's the harsh, sad truth. Oh, and I'm saying this not as a reader, but as an author. Readers have the 'high ground', so to speak. There's nothing we can do about it. You get a bad review, you sulk for a day, and then move on. Scribble Hub is a chill place indeed—no one here has claimed otherwise, but it's not a charity. And yes, it's free, but readers pay with their time. If I read your work, you get views, you get comments, you get favorites, you get in trending, and thus you get even more exposure... this is the profit.

D

Deleted member 46002

Damn, you guys are writing more words in this thread (rapidly) than I could ever write my ideas in one chapter. :blob_shock:
Although, I must agree with all of you that people should not post stories if they do not want any comments

Ruriha

Yes lol, authors have to suck it up. That's the harsh, sad truth. Oh, and I'm saying this not as a reader, but as an author. Readers have the 'high ground', so to speak. There's nothing we can do about it. You get a bad review, you sulk for a day, and then move on. Scribble Hub is a chill place indeed—no one here has claimed otherwise, but it's not a charity. And yes, it's free, but readers pay with their time. If I read your work, you get views, you get comments, you get favorites, you get in trending, and thus you get even more exposure... this is the profit.
My eyesight is bad without my glasses, but I can clearly see you just claimed SH as being a competitive site. You also say the reader here has higher ground, but the site owner intentionally or unintentionally favored the author by doubling down on the current policy more than the suggestion of the reader, so you tell me. Also, don't mistake a charity for business. People spread the word for a cause, so more people can benefit from it - not to profit. The exact same could be said from here. When free food is being given out, the taste isn't your main concern. However, if it's in violation of a health protocol, the first thing you do is report it to the authority, not by leaving a review. If the story is in bad taste, you can report it, no one is stopping you.

But before we detract even further, the issue here is being unable to leave a review after being blocked - not before being blocked. The suggestion has already been veto'd, this isn't even up for a debate.

Nneeil

My eyesight is bad without my glasses, but I can clearly see you just claimed SH as being a competitive site. You also say the reader here has higher ground, but the site owner intentionally or unintentionally favored the author by doubling down on the current policy more than the suggestion of the reader, so you tell me. Also, don't mistake a charity for business. People spread the word for a cause, so more people can benefit from it - not to profit. The exact same could be said from here. When free food is being given out, the taste isn't your main concern. However, if it's in violation of a health protocol, the first thing you do is report it to the authority, not by leaving a review. If the story is in bad taste, you can report it, no one is stopping you.

But before we detract even further, the issue here is being unable to leave a review after being blocked - not before being blocked. The suggestion has already been veto'd, this isn't even up for a debate.
There is a ranking, hence there is a competition. Readers favor the best stories, and even those get plenty of negative reviews. Also, you can't really expect Tony to unblock Slavin just so he can leave a review, can you? What's done is done. This whole diatribe started because we don't see eye to eye about bad reviews. Which is fine. And... all of my posts so far have been about our split opinion, not about Slavin being blocked. As I said, I don't care. It is what it is.

Ruriha

There is a ranking, hence there is a competition. Readers favor the best stories, and even those get plenty of negative reviews. Also, you can't really expect Tony to unblock Slavin just so he can leave a review, can you? What's done is done. This whole diatribe started because we don't see eye to eye about bad reviews. Which is fine. And... all of my posts so far have been about our split opinion, not about Slavin being blocked. As I said, I don't care. It is what it is.
There is a competition, but it doesn't mean it is highly competitive. The point of this concern being raised wasn't just to unblock the op, but to change a policy, and the argument given was that the author should suck it up, so people should still be even able to leave review after being blocked. This is why we're in disagreement. I countered due to the nature of the site - it is chill. The emphasis is given less on the quality and and numbers, meaning to say neither author nor reader are superior. But to be clear, I am not saying that the author should, in fact, ignore criticism, I'm just saying they have the option to do so cause this site is meant to be chill. It also doesn't necessarily mean the author could just sit and ignore and block all criticism since it is inevitable, but at the very least they can be selective about it.

If the issue was about if an author "should" learn how to suck up a negative review, then I might have modified my stance and sided with you.

But anyhow, this discussion is moot. I'm leaving it here.

Nneeil

There is a competition, but it doesn't mean it is highly competitive. The point of this concern being raised wasn't just to unblock the op, but to change a policy, and the argument given was that the author should suck it up, so people should still be even able to leave review after being blocked. This is why we're in disagreement. I countered due to the nature of the site - it is chill. The emphasis is given less on the quality and and numbers, meaning to say neither author nor reader are superior. But to be clear, I am not saying that the author should, in fact, ignore criticism, I'm just saying they have the option to do so cause this site is meant to be chill. It also doesn't necessarily mean the author could just sit and ignore and block all criticism since it is inevitable, but at the very least they can be selective about it.

If the issue was about if an author "should" learn how to suck up a negative review, then I might have modified my stance and sided with you.

But anyhow, this discussion is moot. I'm leaving it here.
No, my main disagreement was with Valmond since he was of the opinion that readers should avoid leaving bad reviews. I guess you just got caught in the crossfire, somehow. Yes, let's leave it here.

Ral

Support? No, the author doesn't get to decide what type of reviews they get and bad reviews are allowed. Reviews cannot be deleted by authors. As long as the reviews doesn't violate the review guidelines then it would be accepted. So how am I in support of that?

I'm referring to the emotional and biased factor after a user gets blocked by the author. Leaving a review in that state? It's best to just go your separate ways. All types of communications are cut off after the block.
I was talking more about what they say about comments not the reviews. Saying we shouldn't say negative things or the authors should have full control on what others should and could say.

Though, I still think that people should be able to review even if they are banned from commenting. You can't really be sure if they would be unfair in their reviews. You can't judge until you see it. And if they are being unfair in their review you can then remove it. Only then should he banned from reviewing. Only then. But that is just my opinion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

There is an old saying. If you have nothing good to say, don’t say anything at all. It applies throughout every single thing in life. Typically, it is better to give reviews if the author asks for it. In that case, they get what they get. This is also how I operate when giving reviews. I only do so, when someone requests it of me. Also, on a more further point. The only times an author really has no control over whether they want reviews or not, is if they are selling their work. In a case like that, it is best the author never responds at all. A good practice is to start now, and simply do not respond to the reviews at all.

Now onto the next point. This is the authors story, the reader has absolutely no control in the least. All they can do is comment. If the comment is offensive to the author or other people. Then, a ban is a ban. It is why I recommend to always be weary of one’s words. Lastly, this falls on the reader themselves. You can simply choose not to comment, there is no excuse in the least. Humans are held responsible for their actions due to the fact that they are able to reason.

Most of the time, I do not leave a comment nor review. This is because, I simply have no way to balance the pros and cons. Effectively giving a review like this would not be feasible. In all reality, it is more effort than it is worth. So overall, in a case like this. Where the work isn’t being sold for profit. The author has 100% control over what they do. It would be a different story if they were selling their work. If that were the case, then the author should simply ignore the review and move on.
"If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it." -I disagree with this.

How will your story improve? You can think your story is super great and above all others, but what if your characters are actually super horrible and abusive to one another that it doesn't even make sense or a somewhat "believable" plot anymore? If you shut all comments down trying to point it out, you'll continue writing a story and then wonder why you don't see a lot of people reading it anymore...

You learn from mistakes. It stings when people point it out. But it helps us learn to grow.

That being said, I do not condone people that are super rude and offensive. I'm strongly against people outright excessively and offensively swearing at the authors, calling out slurs of all kinds at the authors, threatening them, etc. Those things should be removed and banned period. Some also have bad advice too, even though they mean well.

Honestly speaking, you have to sort out the really bad reviews and listen to the good reviews. And good reviews doesn't mean it will always be positive. That's why its called critical feedback. As long as someone is respectfully critiquing the story, like pinpointing the flaws with a few good notes of what was okay-good, then that can be a really valuable feedback. Maybe you didn't realize it, but your grammar was so hard to follow through that it deterred a lot people to continue reading. Or how you didn't realize your characters start to become overly toxic and one-dimensional. Sometimes we need another keen eye to point it out to us.

We the authors love stories like its our own kid, cause after all, it is our own creation. However, even parents can spoil their kids without realizing it, and that can cause a lot of kids to grow up sour and rotten. You wouldn't want a story to end up going so rotten, do you?

Don't cuddle too much that when you do come face to face with criticism, you can't handle it. Ofc, I don't think its great to take in all reviews cause there are some crappy ones, but learn to filter out and use the critical feedback to your advantage.

I think a lot of people are too afraid to give criticism. Good critical feedback, as long as its not super offensive and shit, is good and can help us improve as a writer.

A lot of people dream to be a good writer. Some even want to go on to be professional. But regardless whether some just want it as a hobby or professional, dreams just stay dreams unless you put in blood sweat and tears to make an effort to become a good writer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.