Basically my first story. Give it to me dry!!!

ShrimpShady

So yeah, here's my story Ghost Hunter Kumagawa. Got bored one day, so I decided to just post it here and see what happens.

Would love to hear y'all feedback 👌

Thanks in advance!

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Okay. I was writing my own chapter, which means the perfect time to procrastinate.

Overall your writing is pretty good. Good enough that I would actually look at style suggestions rather than simple mistakes. For example, your first sentence feels rather run on with that description. Or the description of the meal feels awkwardly inserted (Would definitely flow better if the description was later after the Aunt asked him to pay attention to it) Or the usage of OOTD for no reason,

The biggest issue in your first chapter is the lack of a hook.

I've read the 1st chapter and all I learned was a random teenager who is sleepy and plans to move to a new place. That's it. There is virtually nothing that is intriguing me to keep reading forward. Your prose is decent, but it fails to deliver something besides the slice of life and for a first chapter that is very crucial.

This is probably the main reason for the large drop off of views in 2nd chapter. You need to treat your 1st chapter almost like an advertisement in certain aspects. Just so at the end of it you could figuratively say "but wait there is more!" and point at the next chapter button.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
Just like Snusmumriken, I gave it a shot while I procrastinated as well. How about that?

Let me start off by saying that I would tone down the lengthy description of the MC since it was a mouthful to read. I get it, it's supposed to be witty and funny, but I thought it was trying to hard. I'm more interested in the yokai rather than the MC, so that lengthy description of your average teen should be used to describe the supernatural yokai that is the hook of the story.

I read the first chapter and I like the writing. It's precise and clear, every sentence feels straight to the point, and the prose is decent. I had an easy time reading it. The contents itself, on the other had, is meh. I feel that entire first chapter can be condensed into one third of your planned storyline. The important parts of the story are minimal compared to the entire description of this boy's morning routine. It's pretty much him being woken up by his cousin, getting ready for breakfast, talking to his family about moving to his own place after his father died, his uncle being worried and then super supportive, and him being on his way.

A reader may see this first chapter and assume the pacing is this slow. I mean, the writing was great, but it felt like it led to nowhere by the end. Just another day in another kid's life, to be continued. No hook, no cliffhanger, nothing that tells me, "I got to turn to chapter 2 right now!" Perhaps later, when we get attached to these characters and want to know more about their home life can you do this slow pace episode, but in the beginning, I suggest you get the reader hyped and looking forward for more!

I personally like the synopsis enough to keep reading. Though that gore advisory does worry me. I really don't want to read anything too violent. But I want to know about that yokai. I'll keep reading and give you more of my thoughts. So far, it's okay, it's average, it's meh. The promise of the yokai loli is the only thing keeping me going, but I fear that first chapter may have set up the impression of the entire work.

UPDATE:

So I've read up to chapter 5. I wish Scribble Hub would tell you how many words each chapter has, because they are quite lengthy, but nonetheless I kept going

The writing is still very good. It so easy to read, something I never thought I'd notice. I guess a lot of stories on SH aren't that well written (oh, but not yours, fellow forum member reading this post. Yours is so elegantly prosed).

The story itself, I'm hooked. I love the yokai loli, she's so nice and I like how the MC gets along with her. His sleep depredation also makes more sense now. Is that why he can see ghost? That's actually quite a good explanation. It now makes more sense that he was perceived as 'lazy'. I love the encounter with the first ghost in the alleyway. It turned out to be a completely random event. It may not have been paranormal action, but it was pretty cool. Loved how Yuki just wanted to slay him. Though I'm confused on how the "little" knife was bigger than her. Maybe I missed the description of her size.

The pacing is pretty good. The important events are presented well as the story is going at a nice pace. I do admit I get bored with details from time to time, such as describing the park, and when he was eating his instant ramen. I skipped that part and felt that I didn't miss much. I just wanted to get to the important parts. That's just how I read and write myself, so take it with a grain of salt if you want to keep these details.

If there is any complaints, it's the first 2 chapters. By the end of the second chapter and beyond, when we are introduced to Yuki, that's when things pick up and get interesting. I was right, the yokai is the hook of your story. This is when I started getting invested in the characters. This is when I wanted to learn more about the MC and his insomnia. Heck, even his uncle is a cool guy. I want to learn more about him. And of course, I love Yuki. She may be my favorite character. I love the team up with Kumagawa. I feel they will be a good team for whatever ghost busting is eventually going to happen. But this all happened after slogging through the first two chapters. I feel like you should chop up the first two chapters to only the important parts and merge them into the first. They were important but only in hindsight do I realize this. I can go back and read those first chapters and be more invested in actually reading it because now I want to learn more about Kumagawa and the backstory.

I would rather just have the story start in chapter 2, chop it up to only the important parts, get to Yuki as soon as possible, and proceed from there. After the encounter with the first ghost and after Kumagawa goes to sleep, then proceed to the casual stuff of chapter 1 where we get to know more about him, his sleep deprivation, his family, et-cetra. The things that add to the plot after we have an interest in learning about them.

With all that said, I'm so far enjoying the story. I'm going to follow it, but I fear that those first two chapters may be a wall preventing other people from discovering a good story because they're so long winded and not really important. But the rest, it's good, I love it!

Last edited:

ShrimpShady

Okay. I was writing my own chapter, which means the perfect time to procrastinate.

Overall your writing is pretty good. Good enough that I would actually look at style suggestions rather than simple mistakes. For example, your first sentence feels rather run on with that description. Or the description of the meal feels awkwardly inserted (Would definitely flow better if the description was later after the Aunt asked him to pay attention to it) Or the usage of OOTD for no reason,

The biggest issue in your first chapter is the lack of a hook.

I've read the 1st chapter and all I learned was a random teenager who is sleepy and plans to move to a new place. That's it. There is virtually nothing that is intriguing me to keep reading forward. Your prose is decent, but it fails to deliver something besides the slice of life and for a first chapter that is very crucial.

This is probably the main reason for the large drop off of views in 2nd chapter. You need to treat your 1st chapter almost like an advertisement in certain aspects. Just so at the end of it you could figuratively say "but wait there is more!" and point at the next chapter button.
Hey now, no procrastinating.

But thanks a lot for checking out my story. I never really knew what to expect because I published it kinda on a whim out of boredom.

Thanks for the feedback as well! I've never really heard anyone describe my writing as good, so that's exciting. As for the first chapter, I guess I would have to agree that there's not much in terms of content. I'd partially attribute it to laziness as I often thought about whether it actually had any intrigue, but I never bothered to do much about it because I figured its relatively short length could cover that fact up a little.

Would starting the story off at a later point help remedy the issue?
Just like Snusmumriken, I gave it a shot while I procrastinated as well. How about that?

Let me start off by saying that I would tone down the lengthy description of the MC since it was a mouthful to read. I get it, it's supposed to be witty and funny, but I thought it was trying to hard. I'm more interested in the yokai rather than the MC, so that lengthy description of your average teen should be used to describe the supernatural yokai that is the hook of the story.

I read the first chapter and I like the writing. It's precise and clear, every sentence feels straight to the point, and the prose is decent. I had an easy time reading it. The contents itself, on the other had, is meh. I feel that entire first chapter can be condensed into one third of your planned storyline. The important parts of the story are minimal compared to the entire description of this boy's morning routine. It's pretty much him being woken up by his cousin, getting ready for breakfast, talking to his family about moving to his own place after his father died, his uncle being worried and then super supportive, and him being on his way.

A reader may see this first chapter and assume the pacing is this slow. I mean, the writing was great, but it felt like it led to nowhere by the end. Just another day in another kid's life, to be continued. No hook, no cliffhanger, nothing that tells me, "I got to turn to chapter 2 right now!" Perhaps later, when we get attached to these characters and want to know more about their home life can you do this slow pace episode, but in the beginning, I suggest you get the reader hyped and looking forward for more!

I personally like the synopsis enough to keep reading. Though that gore advisory does worry me. I really don't want to read anything too violent. But I want to know about that yokai. I'll keep reading and give you more of my thoughts. So far, it's okay, it's average, it's meh. The promise of the yokai loli is the only thing keeping me going, but I fear that first chapter may have set up the impression of the entire work.

UPDATE:

So I've read up to chapter 5. I wish Scribble Hub would tell you how many words each chapter has, because they are quite lengthy, but nonetheless I kept going

The writing is still very good. It so easy to read, something I never thought I'd notice. I guess a lot of stories on SH aren't that well written (oh, but not yours, fellow forum member reading this post. Yours is so elegantly prosed).

The story itself, I'm hooked. I love the yokai loli, she's so nice and I like how the MC gets along with her. His sleep depredation also makes more sense now. Is that why he can see ghost? That's actually quite a good explanation. It now makes more sense that he was perceived as 'lazy'. I love the encounter with the first ghost in the alleyway. It turned out to be a completely random event. It may not have been paranormal action, but it was pretty cool. Loved how Yuki just wanted to slay him. Though I'm confused on how the "little" knife was bigger than her. Maybe I missed the description of her size.

The pacing is pretty good. The important events are presented well as the story is going at a nice pace. I do admit I get bored with details from time to time, such as describing the park, and when he was eating his instant ramen. I skipped that part and felt that I didn't miss much. I just wanted to get to the important parts. That's just how I read and write myself, so take it with a grain of salt if you want to keep these details.

If there is any complaints, it's the first 2 chapters. By the end of the second chapter and beyond, when we are introduced to Yuki, that's when things pick up and get interesting. I was right, the yokai is the hook of your story. This is when I started getting invested in the characters. This is when I wanted to learn more about the MC and his insomnia. Heck, even his uncle is a cool guy. I want to learn more about him. And of course, I love Yuki. She may be my favorite character. I love the team up with Kumagawa. I feel they will be a good team for whatever ghost busting is eventually going to happen. But this all happened after slogging through the first two chapters. I feel like you should chop up the first two chapters to only the important parts and merge them into the first. They were important but only in hindsight do I realize this. I can go back and read those first chapters and be more invested in actually reading it because now I want to learn more about Kumagawa and the backstory.

I would rather just have the story start in chapter 2, chop it up to only the important parts, get to Yuki as soon as possible, and proceed from there. After the encounter with the first ghost and after Kumagawa goes to sleep, then proceed to the casual stuff of chapter 1 where we get to know more about him, his sleep deprivation, his family, et-cetra. The things that add to the plot after we have an interest in learning about them.

With all that said, I'm so far enjoying the story. I'm going to follow it, but I fear that those first two chapters may be a wall preventing other people from discovering a good story because they're so long winded and not really important. But the rest, it's good, I love it!
No procrastinating!

But thanks a lot for checking out my story and for the extensive feedback. It's given me some really interesting insight, as prior to this I've had no one outside of my friend circle check out my writing.

I'm glad that you overall enjoyed my story so far. I've always tried to put as much effort as I can into crafting characters who are enjoyable to read about, so it's great to see that someone likes them.

Oh yeah, and for the knife thingy, I meant the knife was big relative to her. Like if a regular-sized human used a knife with a blade the size of their head, but perhaps I might have worded it confusingly.

As stated in my reply to Snusmumriken, I worry from time to time if the story's opener has enough to get people interested. Your advice about condensing the first two chapters into one seems pretty sound to me, as the background details like the rest of Kumagawa's family members aren't too relevant in the beginning. It'd definitely help tighten up the pacing so the story gets to the point faster, so thanks for that!

As for the gore thing, it gets pretty violent. However, I try not to over-indulge in my descriptions of bodily harm :s_wink:

Last edited:

EternalSunset0

So yeah, here's my story Ghost Hunter Kumagawa. Got bored one day, so I decided to just post it here and see what happens.

Would love to hear y'all feedback 👌

Thanks in advance!
Procrastinating too because why not?

Overall, I felt comfortable with the writing. However, that could be some bias because your writing actually reminds me of a bit of mine, structurally at least :blobrofl:

What I liked about your writing is that it creates a decent image of the environment and the motion, to the point where I can visualize some parts of it as a visual medium (anime, comic, etc).

I think your prose is fine, but nothing really stands out too much. I probably am not one to talk since I don't think it's my strong suit as well, but I have read a book or two here that are so good and flowed so well that I can't stop reading even if the genre's not my thing. Not a knock, mind you. Just that it doesn't have that "oomph" factor yet.

The characters are fine so far. I don't really notice much about character depth or anything like that, so I'll probably just keep reading, finalize a waifu/best girl/best boy or what, and move on. For me, as long as the characters make the plot move and are not annoying, it's already good.

I could comment on the lack of a hook on the first few chapters, but I'm also guilty of that with my series' first volume (something I plan to fix way later down the line) but overall, it's fine. I would actually go out and say that your writing is considered good for a casual online platform. It could also help that your genre is something that I grew up to love very much, with me being a big fan of stuff like Bleach and Nurarihyon no Mago.

ShrimpShady

Procrastinating too because why not?

Overall, I felt comfortable with the writing. However, that could be some bias because your writing actually reminds me of a bit of mine, structurally at least :blobrofl:

What I liked about your writing is that it creates a decent image of the environment and the motion, to the point where I can visualize some parts of it as a visual medium (anime, comic, etc).

I think your prose is fine, but nothing really stands out too much. I probably am not one to talk since I don't think it's my strong suit as well, but I have read a book or two here that are so good and flowed so well that I can't stop reading even if the genre's not my thing. Not a knock, mind you. Just that it doesn't have that "oomph" factor yet.

The characters are fine so far. I don't really notice much about character depth or anything like that, so I'll probably just keep reading, finalize a waifu/best girl/best boy or what, and move on. For me, as long as the characters make the plot move and are not annoying, it's already good.

I could comment on the lack of a hook on the first few chapters, but I'm also guilty of that with my series' first volume (something I plan to fix way later down the line) but overall, it's fine. I would actually go out and say that your writing is considered good for a casual online platform. It could also help that your genre is something that I grew up to love very much, with me being a big fan of stuff like Bleach and Nurarihyon no Mago.
Hey hey thanks for checking out my story and thanks for the feedback as well.

"Oomph" is always something I've strived to have in my writing, but I've never quite understood how to pull that off.

Bleach was actually kind of an influence on this story, even though I've never really watched it. I just kinda wished that Bleach would have more supernatural stuff set in the human world like in the early chapters instead of diving straight into the Soul Society and Hueco Mundo stuff. That's basically part of the genesis of this story, as I love the aesthetic urban fantasy and supernatural stories lmao.

EternalSunset0

Bleach was actually kind of an influence on this story, even though I've never really watched it. I just kinda wished that Bleach would have more supernatural stuff set in the human world like in the early chapters instead of diving straight into the Soul Society and Hueco Mundo stuff. That's basically part of the genesis of this story, as I love the aesthetic urban fantasy and supernatural stories lmao.
That explains it, then. While my favorite part of the series is the Soul Society Arc, I would say that the early episodic Ghostbusters thing really was a very unique setting for its time. I hear that sentiment a lot from the fans, and I can see why. I also love urban fantasies with a tinge of the supernatural and sci-fi.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Thanks for the feedback as well! I've never really heard anyone describe my writing as good, so that's exciting. As for the first chapter, I guess I would have to agree that there's not much in terms of content. I'd partially attribute it to laziness as I often thought about whether it actually had any intrigue, but I never bothered to do much about it because I figured its relatively short length could cover that fact up a little.

Would starting the story off at a later point help remedy the issue?
In my own opinion - yes it would, Or you can change the 1st chapter to add something that would pull readers in.

At the moment it is not the first chapter that does it - it is your Synopsis. And I would say that most people who are reading it from synopsis are reading for the sake of the youkai in an obviously childish body. You have the chops to pull more with your writing as long as you actually try to hook them up. Right now you already expect them to be hooked from the synopsis alone.