Recommendations begins with but ends with no romance

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
Say, if there is a story that goes something like this: fmc transmigrates into the body of a wife of a very hot and very rich man but he doesn't love her (taken from one of the million of such chinese novels), you'd expect that the happy ending would be the husbamd warming up to her and them being happily in love, right? (that, too, is based on the million of chinese novels like this)
Why can't the happy ending be something like, the fmc realises that she also doesn't love her husband but they become friends and she realises that not being in love is ok too.
So, novels (with fmc preferably) that start like usual cliche romance novels but end without romance are what I want rn.

LostLibrarian

Why can't the happy ending be something like
Because people who start a romance want a happy end with romance and people who want an end without it won't start a romance...

There are more traditional published stories like that, but in webnovels - both due to the length, the investment, and the competition - stories will promise one thing and then deliver on that. Or else, readers will just turn away and read one of a thousand other stories.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
Because people who start a romance want a happy end with romance and people who want an end without it won't start a romance...

There are more traditional published stories like that, but in webnovels - both due to the length, the investment, and the competition - stories will promise one thing and then deliver on that. Or else, readers will just turn away and read one of a thousand other stories.
if there are published stories like that, can you tell me? Also, I have seen way too many web novels that promise one thing but deliver something else entirely

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
if there are published stories like that, can you tell me? Also, I have seen way too many web novels that promise one thing but deliver something else entirely
It doesn't have that specific plot, but "The Ghost's Child" by Sonya Hartnett is a love story that ends without romance. Ripped my heart out when I was younger.

The main character falls in love with a wild boy on the beach, but he agrees to marry her only out of a sense of responsibility. They're never happy, no matter how she tries, and their marriage just completely falls apart, with him walking back out to the wild.