Best Buy: Drawing Tablet - Please advice this poor soul.

Spica66

For drawing tablet without screen medium sized is the best size. That's what I heard and also experienced.

I'm using Huion hs611. I bought it because its design is the best out of Chinese drawing tablet. Everything's great except software. People said it's buggy but I haven't set anything much, so I didn't encounter any problem. Also, don't expect it to work well with Android phone.

But XP-Pen is great as people said.

Last edited:

Lentin

I have two different tablets. One of them is huion h610 pro v2, and the other is xp-pen deco 01v2.

The huion has a smooth texture when drawing but doesn't cause any slippage which is what i like about the tablet.
The xp-pen has a matte surface, which causes the nib to shorten quite quickly.

I occasionally switch my usage because the huion one tends to scratch the surface more easily than xp-pen, and then I have to reinstall/uninstall the drivers lol

Both of them are cheap. Each of their prices are probably around $80-$120.

skillet

a frying pan
since nobody's mentioned this one before: I haven't used wacom before, but if glassy surfaces aren't your thing, I'd say my monoprice tablet isn't very glassy but is VERY cheap lol I have a huge like 10 inch one (huge imo o.o) and it was basically 60 dollars :))
I've been using that thing for years now though the only problem is finding a good driver for it lolol

(If you ever decide to get a Monoprice tablet and need help with the driver, hmu because I have it :blob_hide:)

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
Wacom One is very worth it. It is not wireless, but it will really help you get into practicing digital art and photoshop.

D

Deleted member 45782

Bookmarking for the future. Very useful and informative thread. Maybe someday... 🤞🤞🤞

Razmatazz

Dungeon Cultist
Wacom is a scam, they rode on their coattails of being the 'only' drawing tablet for far too long and are massively overpriced. For the same money a Wacom One Creative costs, you can get a Huion GT191v2 which is larger, has a higher pen sensitivity and has more features.

Just buy a Huion or an xp-pen or something equivalent. You'll get way more bang for your buck. Check youtube, there are millions of comparison videos on these things. Hell, I'd wager most 'indie professional' artists use one of the alternative brands to draw with. :blob_hmm:

D

Deleted member 45782

I realize giving too much candy may lead one to have diabetes or some unhealthiness...so back to the drawing board!

Anyone heard of Acepen drawing tablets?
I'm gonna try find one as cheap as I can for an upcoming gift due to budget. I thinking about 10 x 6 inch actual drawing space.

Do you guys use dual in one? Like display also on the drawing tablet so don't have to look back and forth between the tablet and the computer?

For tablets, before we look at price should we also look at what software its compatible with or any will do? (I saw some stated they specifically can use certain kinds of software). Sorry if its repetitive, just wanna double check before deciding on which tablet.

Is it significant whether the pen is battery powered or not?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Is it significant whether the pen is battery powered or not?
Definitely non-battery pen. It’s annoying when you forgot to charge or run out of batteries. They’re also heavier. Just personal preference, but I don’t like thin pens without soft grip.
Do you guys use dual in one? Like display also on the drawing tablet so don't have to look back and forth between the tablet and the computer?
You can get used to non display ones. For beginners I wouldn’t recommend display ones, too many land on eBay because they’d given up on digital art (save the money for other things). For graphic design and photo manipulation a normal graphic tablet is enough. For illustrations a display one can be taken into consideration as it can reduce time to draw, though then you’d need to consider surface texture, shortcut key positions, processor, color correction rate, color room etc.
Anyone heard of Acepen drawing tablets?
Sadly no. Huion and XP has cheap ones and people already reviewed them a lot.
For tablets, before we look at price should we also look at what software its compatible with or any will do? (I saw some stated they specifically can use certain kinds of software). Sorry if its repetitive, just wanna double check before deciding on which tablet.
:blob_hmm: I think every tablet aims to be compatible with every art program. Should be alright as long as your pc can recognize the tablet driver. Whether the driver is buggy or not, is another story xD but as long as the brand didn’t dissolve into thin air there should be hope for fixing updates.

D

Deleted member 45782

Definitely non-battery pen. It’s annoying when you forgot to charge or run out of batteries. They’re also heavier. Just personal preference, but I don’t like thin pens without soft grip.

You can get used to non display ones. For beginners I wouldn’t recommend display ones, too many land on eBay because they’d given up on digital art (save the money for other things). For graphic design and photo manipulation a normal graphic tablet is enough. For illustrations a display one can be taken into consideration as it can reduce time to draw, though then you’d need to consider surface texture, shortcut key positions, processor, color correction rate, color room etc.

Sadly no. Huion and XP has cheap ones and people already reviewed them a lot.

:blob_hmm: I think every tablet aims to be compatible with every art program. Should be alright as long as your pc can recognize the tablet driver. Whether the driver is buggy or not, is another story xD but as long as the brand didn’t dissolve into thin air there should be hope for fixing updates.
Thanks! :D

I hope the tablet I choose is good for android and pc. Some tablets mention them specifically so hopefully I get one that works for both.

namio

Thanks! :D

I hope the tablet I choose is good for android and pc. Some tablets mention them specifically so hopefully I get one that works for both.
Tablets are probably going to be computer only...? But I think most of the bigger brands should work on both mac and windows. That said, basic functionality should be available in most art programs that are a step beyond Paint. If you're curious or want to check, any programs that say they support pressure sensitivity means they can at least register thin/thickness based on how hard you press your pen tip on the surface. But even if you use GIMP, which is another free art software that's like a free Photoshop, you should still be able to draw. Both tablets and art programs handle and have different degree of sensitivity, but I'll be honest, I've never run into a time when I feel like I DIRELY need more sensitivity. It's nothing an adjustment to how you approach problems can't handle.

Once more though, I will say some defense for Wacom. It's a very well established brand, and if you don't live in countries where Huion has an established center, you're unlikely to get fucked like I did. It's also likely, however, now that it's more of a name internationally, it's gotten better. However, both my Wacom Bamboo and Intuos Draw (most basic, cheap models they had at the times of purchase) have gone through multiple international moves and been, in eyes of most people, heavily abused LOL and they suffer nothing. I had my Huion medium (forgot the model, but it should be equivalent to Wacom's Bamboo or Intuos Draw) for about 1 month before they started having really frequent problems with cable connection. It was physical; the port was just easy to shake pretty much on purchase. It might've been less of a problem if the center in my country would actually reply to my complaint and offered SOME sort of compensation for selling me a product unusable within 3 months, but they just ghosted me.

But I keep reiterating, if you live in the US or somewhere where Huion is likely to actually care about customer reviews, you'll probably be fine getting a Huion. It's not unlike getting a cheap phone, for me. I got some cheap phone after my old solid-brand one became a total brick. It worked fine with all the functionalities I want and had from my old phone, but it did shatter into literal wafer layers within about 2 years. The other one, while priced quite a bit more, lasted me 4, though. My Bamboo lasted me 5 years. My Intuos Draw is entering its 5th. It's not bad for an $80 investment in a hobby I'm passionate in.

EDIT: Actually I really want to emphasize this: if your friend isn't going to abuse that tablet as much as I do (I take it almost EVERYWHERE. It has been squashed between uni textbooks for 3 years and manhandled in airports and trains dozens of times) a cheaper model ought to suffice. If the reviews are decently good, it's within your budget and will be used only at home or carefully handled, why not get the affordable one after all?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

Tablets are probably going to be computer only...? But I think most of the bigger brands should work on both mac and windows. That said, basic functionality should be available in most art programs that are a step beyond Paint. If you're curious or want to check, any programs that say they support pressure sensitivity means they can at least register thin/thickness based on how hard you press your pen tip on the surface. But even if you use GIMP, which is another free art software that's like a free Photoshop, you should still be able to draw. Both tablets and art programs handle and have different degree of sensitivity, but I'll be honest, I've never run into a time when I feel like I DIRELY need more sensitivity. It's nothing an adjustment to how you approach problems can't handle.

Once more though, I will say some defense for Wacom. It's a very well established brand, and if you don't live in countries where Huion has an established center, you're unlikely to get fucked like I did. It's also likely, however, now that it's more of a name internationally, it's gotten better. However, both my Wacom Bamboo and Intuos Draw (most basic, cheap models they had at the times of purchase) have gone through multiple international moves and been, in eyes of most people, heavily abused LOL and they suffer nothing. I had my Huion medium (forgot the model, but it should be equivalent to Wacom's Bamboo or Intuos Draw) for about 1 month before they started having really frequent problems with cable connection. It was physical; the port was just easy to shake pretty much on purchase. It might've been less of a problem if the center in my country would actually reply to my complaint and offered SOME sort of compensation for selling me a product unusable within 3 months, but they just ghosted me.

But I keep reiterating, if you live in the US or somewhere where Huion is likely to actually care about customer reviews, you'll probably be fine getting a Huion. It's not unlike getting a cheap phone, for me. I got some cheap phone after my old solid-brand one became a total brick. It worked fine with all the functionalities I want and had from my old phone, but it did shatter into literal wafer layers within about 2 years. The other one, while priced quite a bit more, lasted me 4, though. My Bamboo lasted me 5 years. My Intuos Draw is entering its 5th. It's not bad for an $80 investment in a hobby I'm passionate in.

EDIT: Actually I really want to emphasize this: if your friend isn't going to abuse that tablet as much as I do (I take it almost EVERYWHERE. It has been squashed between uni textbooks for 3 years and manhandled in airports and trains dozens of times) a cheaper model ought to suffice. If the reviews are decently good, it's within your budget and will be used only at home or carefully handled, why not get the affordable one after all?
True. Thanks so much everyone! :)

Yeah, a bit. They don't exactly take care of their stuff too well. But yeah, I'll try look for most affordable one. :D