Beta-reading exchange?

Would you use this

• Yes

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Reisinling

As in title. I'm considering setting up discord room for chapter beta reading exchange, basically if you want someone to read your chapter before it gets published, and leave comments, helpful for editing. Since I'm sure most people would only want to get their stuff reviewed, but not participate we would have to set up a quid-pro-quo system, where you get points and spend them.

Alternatively, it could be for setting permanent arrangements.

It would obviously have difficulties- like some people leaving no comments at all/just skim reading, while others would analyze every punctuation mark, but then I don't expect it to have 1000s of users, so it can be slightly more trust based.

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
I love this idea, I tried doing something like that in the forum but it never caught traction.

Reisinling

I love this idea, I tried doing something like that in the forum but it never caught traction.
The problem with this type of idea is you have to hit enough participants for someone to respond within a few hours 7/days a week... not to mention ppl want to be reviewed by peeps with similar popularity levels generally

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
There is also an issue of time - I drop by into the feedback corner when I have some time to procrastinate, but most of the time if I have the time I spend it wither writing or brainstorming or learning something for my next chapter. So anything on-demand is usually out of the question. And I would say that many would want to be graded by the ones with better proficiency in the language than themselves rather than popularity.

D

Deleted member 45782

Sometimes i feel like when ppl ask for feedback, they should state the type of feedback they want to receive. Cause then they could get feedback, but it just isn't something they are looking for and then they may get disappointed or think the feedback is just too nitpicky. So ask feedback, and request type of feedback wanted. Saves time.

- Plot Feedback -focus on how the plot is, not the grammar.
- Grammarcheck -spot any grammar errors missed. Sometimes need another pair of eyes.
- Everything -tell me the good, the bad. Plot, grammar, everything.

Reisinling

There is also the fact that SH discord already has two rooms for that.
One is workshop, which you shouldn't post whole chapters in, the other is live-writing. Are people using live-writing for beta-reading and commenting?

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
One is workshop, which you shouldn't post whole chapters in, the other is live-writing. Are people using live-writing for beta-reading and commenting?
I've seen people posting doc links to whole chapters in both. Heck, I've seen people posting entire short stories. usually, people would join the docs and comment there. I've done so myself a few times.