Binge or read on release?

Binge or read on release?

• Total voters

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
I'm sure this question has been asked many times now but I want to get an idea of how the readers on ScribbleHub go about following their favorite stories. Do you like to wait for plenty of updates then take the time and read them all in one go? Or do you follow the story as it goes and read it the day it updates?

As I writer who only occasionally read stories, when I do, I would rather binge read a bundle of chapters. :blobtaco: That way I can set aside a few hours to enjoy a story I love. However, I know there's plenty of readers who like being the first to read the new updates and comment soon after. Or just like being caught up on release. So, which category do you fall into? And for the sake of discussion, why does that appeal to you? Or maybe you fall into another category altogether? :blobtaco:

Vaxel00

If I find a premise interesting I wait for a few chapters to release, mostly because you can't judge how a novel is going to be in just the first chapter.

If I really like the story I read every update as it comes as a way to show support to the author since the site tracks traffic.

DubstheDuke

I like to binge read but after a while I eventually would like to be caught up to a story, so when I start a new series I would prefer for quite a bit to have been released, but I also don't mind catching up and then reading on release.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
If I find a premise interesting I wait for a few chapters to release, mostly because you can't judge how a novel is going to be in just the first chapter.
this for a start. If a novel has me curious but has just started, i'll wait for more chapters before i consider reading.

Once reading, it depends. If it's a novel i've come to love then i'll read every chapter as soon as i can after release. If it's a novel i like but is short chapters or just better suited to binging, i'll put it aside to stock chapters and then binge once in a while (depending on release rate).

Yairy

this for a start. If a novel has me curious but has just started, i'll wait for more chapters before i consider reading.

Once reading, it depends. If it's a novel i've come to love then i'll read every chapter as soon as i can after release. If it's a novel i like but is short chapters or just better suited to binging, i'll put it aside to stock chapters and then binge once in a while (depending on release rate).
That's true, there are stories that are better reading in groups like that rather than segments. Like stories that are more adventure-driven rather than character-driven.

I like to binge read but after a while I eventually would like to be caught up to a story, so when I start a new series I would prefer for quite a bit to have been released, but I also don't mind catching up and then reading on release.
That seems to be the case with me too. I binge only because I can designate time to the story instead of spreading it out if I had to read it ones a day for x amount of minutes. But when I do catch up, I don't mind reading chapter after chapter if I'm invested.

thedude3445

I am awful at keeping up with serial stories, no matter the medium or genre. I prefer to read or watch or play later at my own pace... even if I am always way late to the party (I still haven't finished She-Ra lol)

sereminar

I have way to much time on my hands (thanks pandemic) and reading is like my only hobby so i read on release because i have no patience to wait :sweating_profusely:

AkalE

#BingeGang
No matter what anyone else says, no one can keep waiting for new chapters to read on release for a long time. Most will stop after reaching the latest, wait for a while for chapters to stock up and then read again.

The only exception to this are the wierdos that read Piratebae's Wandering Inn. But she has like 10k and even 20k words chapters. So... you could do that...

TRNRLogan

Well most of the time I get into a story late. The rest of the time I'll read on release though.

OvidLemma

As a writer, I'll always post a few chapters when I first release a story (usually 3 chapters) because, as a reader, I cannot get too immersed/invested in a story until a few chapters in. I am very unlikely to start reading a story if it has less than 4 chapters out, but I don't mind reading along with a story's release, as long as there are at least 2 mid-length chapters per week.

Yairy

As a writer, I'll always post a few chapters when I first release a story (usually 3 chapters) because, as a reader, I cannot get too immersed/invested in a story until a few chapters in.
I'm exactly the same. I usually give a story 3 or 4 chapters before I decide if this is the right story for me. The world/characters have to intrique me. I figure it's the same for most readers. So if a story is fairly new that I'm interested in I wait for at least 4 chapters before I check it out. With that in mind, when I write I even post a few chapters to hook someone like me or make sure I have a solid hook that'll draw in the reader chapter 1.

This data's excellent by the way. Thanks everyone for contributing to this. It gives me an idea what the community of scribblehub.com leans towards. :blob_aww:

.Lance

I tend to add a ton of novels to my list and then binge after picking something to read. If I like it, then I will read on release and if I don't, I'll just leave it in case I want to read later.

Ral

Read on release.

Though, I don't mean I read them the moment/day they are released. I read them when I get the time. I don't collect chapter or anything unless it just so happens. I think this is pretty much how people consume their stories.

Though, most writers here don't take advantage of the serial format.

I find it strange that people don't seem to care more about the finished stories. They are the stuff for binge reading. No need to wait or something. Instead they go for ongoing stories. Really weird. Well, those finished stories seems to be invisible in SH, so maybe that is why. Out of sight, out of mind.

Yairy

Read on release..

Really weird. Well, those finished stories seems to be invisible in SH, so maybe that is why. Out of sight, out of mind.

Read on release works perfectly if you're following a series for sure.

I think that’s a little sad that there are completed gems that don't get recognized because they don't update. I think it's worth a suggestion for the site to promote random stories based on users preferences on a side banner or something. Not sure if it has been suggested yet. Some way for One-shots and such to still get views.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
Definitely binge. I get too anxious about plot development and I start panicking because I know two chapters isn’t enough to get to the part I want to read. So I wait. It’s almost a kind of discipline at this point. I usually dont start reading until a substantial amount of chapter exist, but once I finish my binging I try to wait for months, of even a year if I force myself to forget about it, so I can read tons at once. Other times I get excited about what’s going to happen next and up reading on release.
Just depends on my self control at the moment I suppose.

Damn that was longer than it needed to be.

placeintime

Yeeting myself out
It depends on what type of novel I'm reading; if the plot has too many cliff hangers then I'm gonna wait to binge read the hell after it's finishes. But if the chapter further develops the plot of the novel, then I'll read it by the release.

A Chance To Become a Adonis

HMiruko

Honestly, depending on my mood. There are times I crave for the next chapter like a hungry lion, and there are moments when I just don't feel like reading a certain story, so I'd just let the chapters stockpile then read it when I feel like it.