BL Reading Club! (M/m fiction) for Readers and Writers!

BL Events! Would you be interested in participating?

• Total voters

latteectrie96

Thus, 1st question -- does an anthology or competition event centered on BL interest any of you?

2nd question, just to start a discussion or to get better acquainted with each other -- what is your BL-writer history? (Where did you first discover BL? How did you come to SH? What are your specific interests in the genre or issues that bother you?) :blob_aww:
1. I'm intrested! :>>>
2. I love to read transmigration and BL ABO chinese novels. I couldn't find many sories in both these genres so I start writing it myself.
First, I discover korean BL webtoons and after that chinese novels on Novels Updates.
I have taken special intrest is omegaverse. ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Rikaaan

Hello, hello! A newbie in this forum here (lol).

Nice to meet you guys! Waaaah.

So uh. Here, my answers. Lol 😂😂😂

1st question -- does an anthology or competition event centered on BL interest any of you?

This sounds fun! More BL to read!

2nd question, just to start a discussion or to get better acquainted with each other -- what is your BL-writer history? (Where did you first discover BL? How did you come to SH? What are your specific interests in the genre or issues that bother you?)

Hmmm. How I discovered BL is pretty funny (for me anyways). During my junior high school days, we got this small group of classmates who are interested in anime, and this female classmate of mine suddenly shoved her phone to my face one day and told me to read this 'certain doujinshi', which, until to this day, I remember what title and which series it came from.

It was "Vanilla Shake," a Kuroko no Basuke doujinshi.

So, I, as a friend, and is okay with anything my friend recommended to me, was eager since we pretty much have the same likes in terms of genres in anime (shounen, adventure, etc.). But I never expected that it would be something like 'that' since I was literally clueless about Yaoi during that time. XD

So, me, screaming in shock and almost throwing the phone away was something my friend always remind me with every opportunity she got.

And please take note, we're inside the classroom (good thing we were in a corner). So, yes. In short, my BL discovery was "heated". I was already at the 1000th step when I first saw BL. XD

As for my BL-writing, I don't remember when I started, since I pretty much imagine every plot I think of in BL lens. LOL

I don't post much since I'm the kind of writer that starts a new novel and leave them unfinished. So, I have a lot of unfinished works, but almost 70% planned out and outlined.

However, I started writing and posting in ff.net. Though, most of the fanfics I wrote were BG and still didn't have the courage to write BL that time. But after sharing my stories to my very close classmate during my senior high (emphasizing that it was mainly BL), they encouraged me to post it. And, yes. Unfinished until now.

I came to SH when I saw it in NU. I was curious and was surprised about it, tbh. Then came to love it. XD

Hmmm... As for genres, I love Action and Adventure type of BL where there are fighting scenes and whatnot. Lol. Historical is fun too (which is my main genre to one novel: Lati). I'm not really fond of harem (sorry about that harem lovers), though Harem shenanigans are hilarious. 😂😂😂

Another genre I like is horror, but I don't know why I like it even though I scare easily. XD

I think that's it for now. Lolol. NICE TO MEET YOU GUYS.

5hehzada

Hello! I'm a bit late oops, but this is my first forum post so I've been a little nervous about posting LOL

1) Honestly, that sounds like a lot of fun! If I had the time, I'd definitely give it a go, I think it'd also be a really neat way to find more BL writers

2) Oh hmm...I started TDB back in 2018, and I do have a project with a friend that's several years old...I've written a decent amount of fanfic since about 2015? The first BL I ever read was the Seven Days manga, possibly 2011~12? Those are both questions, oops. I tend to like things that have a good dose of comedy, if it can make me laugh it's good!

summervaca99

Hey, cuties!

I've got an important question.

Does nonfiction have a place on SH? Particularly nonfiction geared towards content in the SH tags/genres.

I'm not talkin' boatloads of nonfiction titles, but just a small minority (since that would likely be the case, anyways).

Please let me know what you think 👉👈

bafflinghaze

Hey, cuties!

Does nonfiction have a place on SH? Particularly nonfiction geared towards content in the SH tags/genres.

I'm not talkin' boatloads of nonfiction titles, but just a small minority (since that would likely be the case, anyways).

Do you mean meta about genres?

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Hey, cuties!

By the content guidelines, I don't think non-fiction is allowed at all. But I've seen one or two small things, like the newsletter, be allowed to slip past.

kitkat2010

O.O I'm late as always! BL writers unite!

I haven't logged in for a while so didn't know what was going on. Good to see so many BL writers here!

I noticed the anthologies have already gotten started, so can I jump to question #2?

My BL story --> I got started liking BL about 11 years ago, then started writing it a year after that. I wrote my vampire story originally done with Sims 2 which is now posted here. After that, I just kinda rolled with it. I started publishing under a pen name.
I found out about SH from Novel Updates website when SH was just starting.

I love BL stories with great plot, not just smut on every chapter.

mangomarin

Hello! I just joined SH and want in on the fun. I was originally on RR, but SH seems a lot BL-friendlier. And there's even a newsletter! You all rock. It's sad to hear it's the least-liked genre, but I can't say I'm surprised? There's obviously a lot of overlap between the anime/manga and webnovel communities, and it's not unusual for BL to catch some flack from people who have strong negative associations to the genre or simply have long-standing misconceptions.

Thus, 1st question -- does an anthology or competition event centered on BL interest any of you?

2nd question, just to start a discussion or to get better acquainted with each other -- what is your BL-writer history? (Where did you first discover BL? How did you come to SH? What are your specific interests in the genre or issues that bother you?) :blob_aww:

\(*o*)/ love you all!

1 - Yup! Bring it all on.

2 - I started down the BL rabbit hole with the Naruto fandom. Then came Gravitation—which wow, looking back, BL sure has evolved. And for the better. There's plenty to still criticize, though. 💀 I'm looking at you, non-con. At this point, this is a trope that has been played out to exhaustion in manga, and I'd really love for the Japanese market to expand beyond that.

Speaking of Japanese!

It's from a Japanese term: Fujoshi (腐女子) and Fudanshi (腐男子) are rotten women and men because they ship BL. It's an acceptable term to those who read Japanese BL. So since I started with the Japanese ones, I'm a Fujo and proud of it.

Eh, I feel that the main problem is the word's connections to the fetishization of mlm relationships.

So, we should unpack this a little. Let's be careful about looking at non-Western labels from a Western lens. I know there's been a movement to be more socially-conscious in online spaces, and that's great, but we need to consider the nuance in things, as well as the reality that "XYZ thing makes me personally uncomfortable" is not a fair or accurate way to determine how harmful something is for the rest of society. I took a look at the Twitter thread that @bafflinghaze linked, and while OP's feelings are valid—aka fujos gross me out because they ship toxic dynamics—their experiences, assumptions, and generalizations don't speak for or represent the community they are criticizing. Futekiya has a great little article about the terms Fujoshi/Fudanshi. I stand with @Silverty in that it's a reclaimed term, and I don't find it offensive. (But that's just me.) It's simply a way to identify people who consume male/male romance. That's it.

Fetishization isn't reading a super lewd Teacher X Student BL manga in the privacy of your bedroom. Or even the tried-and-true overbearing Seme X extremely effeminate Uke. At the end of the day, all forms of media and genres across the board are guilty of problematic, unrealistic, or repetitive tropes. And that's OKAY. Fiction is a safe space. For many, it's a form of escapism. It's a controlled way of navigating situations and dynamics that would be dangerous, impossible, or inappropriate to explore in real life. In a BL-context, fetishizing might have the look of someone approaching an IRL mlm couple and asking who is the top and bottom. This is a violation of privacy, dignity, and a failure to distinguish between fiction and reality. Projecting fictional tropes onto actual people is obviously not acceptable, and it can be incredibly hurtful for those involved seeing as they are being reduced to a single character trait plucked from a book, instead of being viewed as a fully-dimensional being.

To recap: don't demonize already vulnerable and misunderstood communities; take issue with the individual doing the problematic behavior, not the label they use; and develop healthy boundaries with your fiction. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

:LOL:

lilGoat

Hello! I just joined SH and want in on the fun. I was originally on RR, but SH seems a lot BL-friendlier. And there's even a newsletter! You all rock. It's sad to hear it's the least-liked genre, but I can't say I'm surprised? There's obviously a lot of overlap between the anime/manga and webnovel communities, and it's not unusual for BL to catch some flack from people who have strong negative associations to the genre or simply have long-standing misconceptions.

1 - Yup! Bring it all on.

2 - I started down the BL rabbit hole with the Naruto fandom. Then came Gravitation—which wow, looking back, BL sure has evolved. And for the better. There's plenty to still criticize, though. 💀 I'm looking at you, non-con. At this point, this is a trope that has been played out to exhaustion in manga, and I'd really love for the Japanese market to expand beyond that.

Speaking of Japanese!

So, we should unpack this a little. Let's be careful about looking at non-Western labels from a Western lens. I know there's been a movement to be more socially-conscious in online spaces, and that's great, but we need to consider the nuance in things, as well as the reality that "XYZ thing makes me personally uncomfortable" is not a fair or accurate way to determine how harmful something is for the rest of society. I took a look at the Twitter thread that @bafflinghaze linked, and while OP's feelings are valid—aka fujos gross me out because they ship toxic dynamics—their experiences, assumptions, and generalizations don't speak for or represent the community they are criticizing. Futekiya has a great little article about the terms Fujoshi/Fudanshi. I stand with @Silverty in that it's a reclaimed term, and I don't find it offensive. (But that's just me.) It's simply a way to identify people who consume male/male romance. That's it.

Fetishization isn't reading a super lewd Teacher X Student BL manga in the privacy of your bedroom. Or even the tried-and-true overbearing Seme X extremely effeminate Uke. At the end of the day, all forms of media and genres across the board are guilty of problematic, unrealistic, or repetitive tropes. And that's OKAY. Fiction is a safe space. For many, it's a form of escapism. It's a controlled way of navigating situations and dynamics that would be dangerous, impossible, or inappropriate to explore in real life. In a BL-context, fetishizing might have the look of someone approaching an IRL mlm couple and asking who is the top and bottom. This is a violation of privacy, dignity, and a failure to distinguish between fiction and reality. Projecting fictional tropes onto actual people is obviously not acceptable, and it can be incredibly hurtful for those involved seeing as they are being reduced to a single character trait plucked from a book, instead of being viewed as a fully-dimensional being.

To recap: don't demonize already vulnerable and misunderstood communities; take issue with the individual doing the problematic behavior, not the label they use; and develop healthy boundaries with your fiction. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

:LOL:
I saw you on RR!
I told you I'm more active on SH because we have a Newsletter! :blobtaco:
Welcome to SH! Definitely more BL friendly than RR :blob_highfive:
I'm heading to bed, so I'm not actually going to reply to all you said, just wanted to welcome you since I saw a familiar avi pop up :blob_cookie: