BL Reading Club! (M/m fiction) for Readers and Writers!

BL Events! Would you be interested in participating?

• Total voters

minacia

perpetually sour
@bafflinghaze posted this on discord, but reposting it here!

There is going to be an event called FujoCon, a BL+ virtual con https://www.fujocon.com/ which is on the 11th to 13th June!
There is a lot of different content, including writing panels! You can register for it here, which you need to do before the start of the con https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fujocon-2021-tickets-145935417763
The event is online and free, and you can add [BL_P] to your username to help identify each other

SpaurdaD

Wait, BL is the most hated genre on here??? HUH I thought it would've been one of the most popular, that sucks :,)

Oh well, so far I've gotten 8 readers on my bl story which I'm super happy about!! BL deserves more love!

bafflinghaze

Wait, BL is the most hated genre on here??? HUH I thought it would've been one of the most popular, that sucks :,)

Oh well, so far I've gotten 8 readers on my bl story which I'm super happy about!! BL deserves more love!
Welcome!!!

Hm, its unpopularity is due to the site demographics *shrugs*

peelsdeeni

The Unoriginal Disappointment
you know, i totally didn't expect that, especially after coming over here from NU
It's a war zone over there, everyone practically breathes BL(mostly smut tho)
most of the time, you can't even click on the site itself without looking up and seeing a user on the forum asking for a BL(not that I'm complaining, just means more stuff I can read)
although this one time I think I saw a incest BL story get recommended, I can't quite remember, especially after trying to purge that memory from my mind(I'm sorry I'm not sorry, I just can't do incest or non-con, just not for me, hell, I'll even deal with a harem BL if it's written well) (I'm generally anti-harem gang, like, I get it, you're super hot and I'm lonely and depressed and everyone and their moms wanna be with you, I'm not jealous that people care about you that much, not at all)

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
you know, i totally didn't expect that, especially after coming over here from NU
It's a war zone over there, everyone practically breathes BL(mostly smut tho)
most of the time, you can't even click on the site itself without looking up and seeing a user on the forum asking for a BL(not that I'm complaining, just means more stuff I can read)
although this one time I think I saw a incest BL story get recommended, I can't quite remember, especially after trying to purge that memory from my mind(I'm sorry I'm not sorry, I just can't do incest or non-con, just not for me, hell, I'll even deal with a harem BL if it's written well) (I'm generally anti-harem gang, like, I get it, you're super hot and I'm lonely and depressed and everyone and their moms wanna be with you, I'm not jealous that people care about you that much, not at all)
A lot prefer translated BL novels. It’s not that BL is unpopular, just original BL is. :blob_teary:
Also the output of original BL is rather low in comparison to translations or other genres on this site.
Recommend more original BL on NUF

BL_Palace

Hi everyone, this is bafflinghaze on behalf of BL_Palace. I'm currently in control!! :blob_shade::blob_shade::blob_shade:
clear.png

The next July Newsletter will be undergoing a change. I, bafflinghaze, will put in some minimal stuff (recently completed novels and the chibis for the month), but whatever else that will appear is up to all you~ :blobspearpeek:

Fill out this form https://forms.gle/LjttF299YaafV7nK8 with:

- BL author news
- Original English BL novel recommendations
- General articles about BL
- Recommended BL authors to interview
- BL/writing memes
- and anything else

Don't be shy~~ No firm deadline, anything that gets submitted "late" will just be added to the next newsletter!

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Hi hi! Recently I made a survey for OEL BL Cultivation novels which @bafflinghaze kindly helped with sharing the link of (Baffy writes cultivation, so this is great!). I've decided to share the results here. Unfortunately Google Forms' chart extraction/copying tool is broken for my account, so it'll just be screenshots that I'll share here.

First, we'll see what sort of device readers typically use. This might help inspire formatting and placements of images and text so that their screens pick up things better.

1627964220010.jpeg

The age-old question: Longer or Shorter (no, not pp size)
1627964487430.jpeg

Which will they click on first when they see it?
1627964513948.jpeg

Tropes and dynamics (this includes POV).

1627964554452.jpeg

1627964574186.jpeg

Selection legend for the above (click to enlarge):
1627964591341.jpeg

1627964618847.jpeg

Selection legend for the above (click to enlarge):
1627964634947.jpeg

Illustrations in your stories (note that nobody picked the obligatory obnoxious protagonist one):

1627964679594.jpeg

Types of cover art:
1627964740153.jpeg

Continued below...
Types of reader participation. Out of all that likes to participate and comment, they enjoy their comments and reviews being highlighted. This doesn't happen in translated novels, so, yeah, you can build a healthy comment culture with OEL readers.
1627964868949.jpeg

Are they interested in other types of OEL BL novels?
1627964886903.jpeg

Free Talk:
These are comments from readers. Since they are long, I've simply copy and pasted them instead of screen-shotted them.

1627964896421.jpeg

moarrr crack-treated-seriously xianxia XD
--
since BL is often wuxia/cultivation, I think it would be cool to have a story that follows a protagonist exploring the world more, rather than being so tied to their sect/sect politics. it would be nice to see the classic fantastical elements from a somewhat outside view. Maybe without reincarnation, I personally feel reincarnation is overused.
--
I guess I'd like to see more good badass female characters in stories. More power couple relationships or if one is obviously more powerful than the other, their relationship should more or less be equal and balanced. Also, I like when the mc can actually do stuff on his own and is not actually carried by his love interest.
--
Well, as a reader I would like more gong point of view because in 90% it is always the protagonistes shou, like, "yes the shou can be powerful and protect the gong !" Another point I world like is a world building/fluffy adventures focus. Thanks for taking my point of view and sorry about my english, I am still learning
--
Side characters that don't disappear in the middle (either end them, send them away or keep them. No vanishing tricks that leave questions). Don't want the gong to be the generic cold, possessive, man of few words, op guy that is waaayyyy too otherworldly handsome with facial paralysis because this kind of person can easily become a dick Not too much one sided face slapping (if there is). Don't make it a constant thing that little antagonists and villains run to make trouble for MC and Co. cuz it's pretty fast wear if they keep coming in droves. If they do collide in bursts to drag out the plot, it can get annoying if there's too much so a moderate amount interspersed would be better. Please tie up the loose ends when it's finished. Don't end it too abruptly and make your passengers fall off the cliff. TT^TT
--
I like that they ask the opinion of the readers, but I hope that the writers not only base themselves on these opinions (suggestions?), And give their styles and flavors to the novel. If in his novels it makes sense, western or eastern dragons would not be bad, ehe. I wish you success !!!
--
One of the things I like about OEL cultivation novels is the lack of overstereotyping and the precense of common sense.
More folklore and world exploration, and less clan wars and op protagonists.
--
I'm a little tired of the stereotypical MC and ML, maybe they can be a little more normal or not so extreme in their ways. AND PLEASE NO MORE DOORMATS.
--
I just want to appreciate your hard word and dedication to writing. Thank you for sharing wonderful stories.
--
One of the things I really enjoy about most of the OEL BL I have read, is that the characters are less abusive. What makes OEL BL different is the western values the characters are written with. It always sucks to be reading a BL with a traumatized, or mentally ill character, whose mental affliction is not treated with proper respect. CN BL has been getting better about this (Look at Accidental Mark), but as a western reader I feel they still have a ways to go. It doesn’t stop me from reading CN BL, but it does make it more difficult to introduce new readers.
--
I think the advantage of Original novels is that the story and point of views tend to be different from Chinese stories and that's great. It gives more diversity to the reader. I wouldn't want an original novel to completely copy the Chinese style.
--
I'm quite fond of animal companions. I've read a lot of stories about pets but rarely about a... True companion ? Not something turning out to be a secondary (or worse) character once the love interest of the MC IS found out. Yeah, once the idea written it seems to be hard to put in practice. But...well, you asked ;)
--
I prefer more cute pets and animal related characters. I absolutely hate when Harems are included and would avoid any stories with harem (main character). I am also interested in reading cultivation in future/interstellar settings. Personally, I would like a calm, easygoing HE novel and I don't really like to read heavy themes including too much angst/tragedy. I use reading to calm myself so I tend to prefer HE.
--
I want pet plants and more art-focused protagonists, who pursue a dao of some instrument or calligraphy etc
--
Even if the stories are just simple and light-hearted, I think having a 3-Dimensional cast where everyone isn't dumb down is nice.
--
I like when the mc and ml have interesting or distinct character s/personalities. This also makes it less likely that their relationship feels abusive or coercive. Given the cultivation context, having equal-ish power levels is better too, I feel, unless the author is confident in writing a respectful and healthy relationship despite that. Though saying that, I guess I would be okay reading an novel that included unhealthy relationships, but their inclusion would need to be deliberate by the author and handled carefully. Related to this I really like when the gong/shou trope is less prominent or absent. I might be in a minority here, but in terms of the story I think it restricts the type of main characters you can write and makes them tend to be similar to the ones in all the other stories. In terms of society, it feels prejudiced and like shoving characters into outdated gender roles. One story I've always wanted to read is the standard epic xuanhuan (like coiling dragon or ATG or ISSTH etc) just instead of spending the whole time picking up beauties, the MC's gay and collects a harem of cultivatior hunks. For genres: I think that anything works as long as the author into it. Slice of life, relationship focused, and comedy are all standard atm and work well. I think that there is room for BL where the romance is secondary to the plot or the MC's development though.
--
I like to read Chinese BL novels because of their particular characteristics for specific genre or characterisation which is different to western novels. Some OEL BL lose that distinctiveness and becomes more normal English novel (which isn't the flavour I'm after when I look for Chinese BL)
--
I personally love the protagonists that are empowered, when they start from scratch and create things little by little, or the protagonist that are pretty smart and have high EQ I'm a little tired of low EQ MCs TvT
--
Personally my favorite types of protagonist are the sometimes vengeful, clever, and maybe quiet ones. I enjoy reading in a pov where the MC doesn't just rely on others around them and instead takes charge( unless it's a lazy protagonist I personally love those kind of tropes as its usually so light-hearted and funny to read!) I also still like the little things authors don't completely translate to English like "shizun" or master and-what-not, to me it's fun to slowly learn a little bit about the other languages while also bringing a little spice to the novel and not being too complicated for any beginners. Whenever I think about my favorite cultivation novels I think of all the peaks and the tournaments or the MC trying to advance in a certain subject such as maybe alchemy and mainly focus all their time and passion into this subject. I believe things like this really show more about the character and their personalities especially as you're given the reason they try so little or maybe why they are so hardworking. While I to love fighting and tournaments as I said before I also like a good balance between those and social interactions between different characters sometimes in translated novels theres really interesting character interactions or monologues with side characters that I wished was sometimes delved deeper into. Some authors tend to focus only on the MC and ML together which can get somewhat tiring... More interactions and adventures with only the MC and side characters may be nice. Anyways aside from that I can't wait for release of OEL BL reader cultivation novels or maybe ones that aren't cultivation. I'm open to every and anything as I have seen even the dullest sounding or looking stories can be one of my favorite novels. I wish everyone the bestest of luck with their stories if they try to make one I'm sure you all can do it!!🤗🤗
--
I pretty much like everything not angsty or tragic but I would like to read more stories from the gong perspective because I don’t know a lot of them
--
A character list would be nice
--
My only big request is no noncon situations please.
--
Power couple! Not too OP and/or mary sue MC! Also no to typical seme pls (ex. cold type) because I want more personality to the seme 😭
--
I just want to say that my answer in the last question for the first page is more than what I ticked on since I couldn't tick more than one. Anyways, I'm very picky about what I decide to read so here are what I mostly need to see in a novel for me to have the drive to read it: > Title. I like it catchy to the point that it would make me interested to know what the novel is about. An example would be when I was trying to find a light-hearted novel with tons of fluffs and I saw 'Dao of the Salted Fish'. Yes, titles being 'catchy' also depends on what I'm currently looking for. > Cover. I sometimes like it simple, just with title and few designs and I prefer if the kind of art corresponds to the theme of the novel. Like chibi art for comedy and fluffs, realistic ones for angst and drama, etc. > Summary. Description or summary is one of the greatest turning point if I will be reading this certain novel. I like summaries that briefly describes MC and point out what might be interesting in the novel. Sometimes, I would see summaries or descriptions that would only be a kind of poem or phrase with a certain meaning, and those sometimes would take my interest but most of the time I wouldn't have the brain cells to process the meaning which would make me disinterested. > Lastly, the status of the novel. I prefer ongoing rather than conpleted, but I would only read it if it's beyond 10~~20 chapters already otherwise I would only bookmark it then wait for more uploads.. Oops, that became longer than expected haha... but thanks if you're able to read the whole thing haha
--
I want to see indifferent and lazy characters. Not the secretly OP kind. Just devoid of passion. Unmotivated. Tired all the time. But not cruel enough to watch people in front of them suffer. So they'd help those within their reach but won't go off to save the world unless forced to or dragged along. Basically someone who cultivates because meditation is the closest you can get to doing nothing without getting kicked out of sect and becoming homeless. I don't like ABO because there's usually serious imbalance in relationships and/or society in general. Also the dubious consent because of "irresistible pheromones" makes me really uncomfortable whether it's someone being seduced or getting attacked. If you can make an ABO society that is actually functional I might be interested, but probably won't read it cause I tend to avoid anything with that tag unless it's quick transmigration... I basically want everyone getting it on to pass the Harkness test. I do like it when rather than becoming stupidly OP the protagonist is clever (can bs their way through somehow) and finds some good allies. On the other hand sometimes I am in a mood for a nice easy jack-ass kicking so feel free to disregard that previous comment. Also I'd like a villain that actually earns loyalty of their minions. If the protagonist can poach your minions "with the power of friendship" your evil empire or whatever is probably quite unstable. Well ok, controlling the lower ranks through fear/food is fine (evil empire wise), but you do need the police (or equivalent) as well as the top rank minions to actually want to preserve the status quo. Stories without big villains are nice. I just want to read about people figuring out how their world works and what fun things you can do with cultivation. I want cultivators who are street performers, inventors, gardeners, just anyone using cultivation in a nonconventional way. Thank you, writers!
--
I've been really craving some multi personnel transmigration where mcs start as friends or even strangers to friends but support is cute. Reading the confession scene in 'Dao of the Salted Fish' made me want to see more mcs open up to someone and relieve that burden of a secret. I want to see how it would work out with someone in the same situation
--
I want MPREG... especially where the couple takes care and how they interact with the little bun. More preferrably little buns👶🏻👶🏻👶🏻👶🏻👶🏻, triplets, quadruplets, quintuplets, and many more ahahahaha... Try watching one of the episodes of superman triplets on YouTube and you'll just be overload with cuteness!!! I want one of those!! 😍😍😍
--
-Clueless gong x assertive shou -Cutting the robe sleeves while partner is sleeping so they won't wake up (this is a bit hard to explain for me hhh sorry) -Cultivators partying -Cultivators shapeshifting -Cultivators using their cultivation to make clothes and be part of the fashion industry, or a fashion-based cultivation style These are everything. Wishing you all the best!
--
as for the storyline, i will leave it to the lovely authors :) but! some plot twists or a surprise would be nice to spice things up and keeps readers engaged. oh, and id also love to see love interests who are not always calm and cold (i mean, humans are dinamic), would like some variations here. hope these suggestions will help you guys! <3
--
I don’t particularly care about the position the mc prefers in bed, and, on that note, an asexual protagonist in a emotionally fulfilling relationship would be nice.
--
3p Relationship, Sadist ML, Age Progression, Past Trauma, Multiple POV, Slavery
--
Don’t always have the setting in a Chinese setting. It’s really easy to tell when the writer didn’t grow up in China and there are really glaring inaccuracies in terms of culture and characters, which just ruin the overall enjoyment and ability to immerse into the story. Write the setting in a culture you’re more familiar with, unless you’re willing to put in the extra time to research the culture you’re writing about. If anything, a cultivation novel set in a Western setting would definitely be unique.
--
Thank you to all the amazing people who work on these! It would be nice to see OEL BL cultivation being set in different time periods/ different categories that are prevalent in BL, like E-sports or some more little seen combinations. I just think that would be cool. Thanks guys, you have bought me much joy.
--
Having more relaxed protagonist . I am a very excited person , so I tend to prefer novels with more relaxed pace and chill protagonist, unfortunately such novels are quiet rare , drama is food but too much isn't . Characters always striving for revenge and what not , it really becomes quiet overwhelming at times . I don't comment much on chappy coz I think there should be freedom for author to progress their story in direction they want , moreover I am quiet timid so yeah that does not help . However I really think that we need more chill and shameless protagonist because there is a serious lack ok them . Thank for your hardwork . Loads of hugs and kisses . Bye bye
--
I preferred not too much angst but if you so go over that route, I would like a well written tragedy that would make anyone cry rather than culmulative frustating misunderstanding. Also I really like it a lot when the couple treated it each other equally and that the two of them are proud of each other. Other than that, I don’t really mind who the protagonist is, whether it is the gong or the shou. I just hope that whoever it is, they will be a likeable character. If you do put comedy, I wish it will be written seamlessly. Funny misunderstanding and veneration to the MC is also good but not too much. Plus, I hope that in the story, side characters are well fleshed. I especially like it when one of my fav side character died. It’s a sweet knife in my heart and it really make me want to cry but it also add a little more realism in the story. Lastly, I hope you are committed to this. It’s hard being an author and I really wish you luck. Thank you for your hard work.
--
I like when all characters have a level of inteligence and a reasonable motive for their actions. IQ20 villains who only exist to be faceslapped and act in stupid/irrational ways cool my interest down FAST.
--
One of the things I like most about OEL novels is that the English-speaking BL community seems to me to be a little more progressive in some ways. For example, you don't really see trans, nonbinary, or other kinds of queer characters in Chinese BL. It also seems like relationships in OEL novels are more likely to be healthier in general, or when one of the characters does something bad it's more likely to be fully addressed instead of just being brushed off or swept under the rug. I really appreciate all that, so keep up the good work! Also, that whole trend of gong/shou being taken as a personality trait – the gong being taller, more masculine, more competent, etc. – while it's not always bad, the fact that it's so ubiquitous seems a little like straight people projecting hetero norms onto gay relationships which kinda bothers me (and with the whole gong being more competent thing, it seems like it can also combine with misogyny sometimes). Although I myself am straight, I like the idea of stories being more realistic or authentic. So basically, I'd like to see more stories about couples that defy those stereotypes, more versatile couples, etc. Lastly, when it comes to settings/world building, for me the most important thing is always that the world feel fully fleshed-out and real, rather than just an assortment of numbered lists of most powerful people/sects/weapons/beasts etc. For example, MDZS vs LMW. Any kind of setting or theme can be interesting for me if the author puts in effort. Or if world building just isn't a huge priority, just leaving it vague instead of adding a bunch of details that make the world seem formulaic. OEL novels also seem more consistent in that regard, so basically, don't worry too much about it, if you're really inspired by something then it'll probably be fun for the audience, too.
--
consensual healthy anything ftw.
--
Honestly I pick my reads more based on what they don't have than what they do. I'm open to most things, but I have tropes I avoid (mostly including dog blood, harems and misunderstandings). As for what I actively look for, that would be something that seems interesting - which is fist and foremost the character interactions. A nice bl novel has both the Mc and ml written in depth eitj their own original personalities and quirks. A good one had not only the couple but also treats side characters like real characters and not foils. I think the nice thing about original novels is that they can be more open to new ideas in the cultivation genre, by combining tropes from the west wihh the usual cultivation tropes to make something that isn't just a repetition of another story.
--
A slow-paced story wherein villain MC becoming a protagonist as he realizes he lives in a book
--
I would like the villains to be more intelligent and not the stupid 2d type (example he sees a beautiful girl/guy and start immediately aggressively flirting or just telling them to accompany him because he great, or the jealous kind for stupid reasons like he talked with someone the guy liked)
--
More mixed couples please, fxf, mxm, mxf etc
--
Go wild. Genuinely. I read to peek into another person's imagination and write for the same reason. If the novel is too influenced by someone other than the author, it shows and can lead to a very incoherent setup. And while new, wacky tropes are a lot of fun, I have nothing against old, well trodden subjects. To me, characters matter more than intricate plots. Without a good, interesting character, a plot cannot save a novel. A tale as old as time can become a new, shiny joy when its done with interesting characters, but bland characters can ruin the most interesting plot with no effort. Just keep writing, we fans (and other writers hehe) are here cheering this new field along!
--
Getting away from a troublesome main plot, but also have some contact with the original protagonists and characters. Exploring the world and other cultures a bit; more nuances with interactions, but still straightforward. Some advancement in their accomplishments whatever they may be. Family and close friends of different types.
--
I am new to OEL and i love it. What is missing is a platform like novelupdate where we can browse and discover new OEL. I know this is not what you are looking as an answer…so here are my other suggestions: -gaming type cultivation novels ; either a protagonist with a game interface in an ancient time cultivation world or a simulation game of cultivation world -situation where mc actually lived through rebirth multiple times on the same world and shows how his decisions affected him every time (like trusting his loved one, then his enemy , then a stranger to find out that the true answer is to strive for a peaceful life far away from intrigues…or whatever author sama decides)

--------------

I have to pop off for now, but I'll be back to edit anything else. Hope this will provide some inspiration for your BL novels!
EDIT: Although honestly, write what you want! All the different things you produce makes the BL scene amazing. This can be just a base guideline if you have no idea what to write.

Last edited:

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Oh, sheesh, I'm fucked cover-wise it seems :blob_sweat:
Naaaah! I think it's fine! They just haven't really been introduced to realism and photographic covers yet. All in due time!

Most of them seem to select what to read based on summary and title! So all good! Covers are just an extra thing.

:blob_aww: So many more fans of switch than expected! How wonderful.
Right? Surprised me too there! I was expecting an overwhelming tilt for shous (but that's my bias since I like shameless shous ha)

Chibis…my nemesis…
Mine too! :sweating_profusely: They're so cute! But I can't draw them....