Blocking certain user?

alpaca

If you block certain user on the main site can they still read and comment on your story? Or will they be blocked from seeing your story?

whitesculptor

The princess whispers & the keyboard clacks.
If you block certain user on the main site can they still read and comment on your story? Or will they be blocked from seeing your story?
They can no longer see your story

kophzi

shouldn't something like that, be moderated by an administrator?
I was literally just looking at an "Famous Author" reply to a reader "And you're an idiot, thanks for fucking off."
because the reader didn't enjoy the story.

So, if he were to abuse the system and literally block every reader who doesn't enjoy his novels, isn't that considered to be a form of review/star/comment manipulation?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I've seen that you can ignore a user, but I don't think that's the same as blocking.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
They can no longer see your story
shouldn't something like that, be moderated by an administrator?
I was literally just looking at an "Famous Author" reply to a reader "And you're an idiot, thanks for fucking off."
because the reader didn't enjoy the story.

So, if he were to abuse the system and literally block every reader who doesn't enjoy his novels, isn't that considered to be a form of review/star/comment manipulation?
I've done some quick tests just now with my main account and my alt account.
  1. Main account blocked alt account.
  2. Logged in to alt account.
  3. Searched for main story's account and was able to find it just fine.
  4. Tried rating the story with alt account and it worked just fine.
  5. Tried reading a chapter with alt account and it worked just fine.
  6. Tried commenting on a chapter, I was unable to comment due to being blocked.
  7. Tried leaving a review on the series, I was unable to leave a review due to being blocked.
  8. Went back to my main account and unblocked the alt.
  9. Went to the page of my one series that has a review -> Blocked the person that made the review.
  10. Refreshed the page and saw that the review was still visible.
  11. Tried checking the page with a private window and saw that the review was still visible.
  12. Unblocked the person that made the review.
  13. Went to a chapter of mine and checked the comments -> Blocked a random person that made a comment.
  14. Refreshed the page and saw that the comment was still visible.
  15. Tried checking the page with a private window and saw that the comment was still visible.
  16. Unblocked the person that made the comment.
Those were my tests.

Yeah, blocking does stop people from making new comments/reviews, but that's about it. It doesn't stop ratings, nor does it stop people from seeing the story and reading it. It also doesn't delete already existing reviews/comments.

Blocking comments makes sense, since comments are there to let you interact with the author. If the author doesn't want to interact with you, it only makes sense that the author can stop you from doing so.

Blocking reviews is a bit weird since reviews have to be approved by Tony first before they're visible, but even then, if an author blocked a given reader from giving reviews, then that reader probably deserved it for being a real annoyance, so they wouldn't leave a fair review that properly assessed the novel's pros and cons anyways. The reader might even leave a 1* review that pretends to be serious (as in, enough to make Tony let it pass because it seems legit) just to spite the author at that point, so I don't think it's a real problem.

Besides, if the author tried blocking a reader after a review was already up, then the review would still be visible, so... You wouldn't have done anything about it.

Essentially, some people above spread misinformation, and the things that are blocked by the "Block" function aren't enough to create any real chance of letting the author manipulate the reviews/ratings.

PS: "Comment manipulation" is irrelevant, since the whole point of comments is to interact with other readers and/or the author, not to evaluate the story. In fact, the author can delete any comment at any time, so the author already has full control over the comments. The reviews/ratings are the things you should worry about when talking about manipulation.
PPS: Tony would never let [Person A] stop [Person B] from seeing the stories in his website. Please don't spread this kind of absurd misinformation. If you're unsure about things, just test it out, or ask someone that can test it to test it out for you.

kophzi

"It also doesn't delete already existing reviews/comments."
Good to know~
Thank you for running the tests.

PS: "Comment manipulation" is irrelevant
Regarding this, I've seen readers return to chapter 1, just to "warn" other potential readers, and when the author supposedly deleted those warnings, the other readers who saw it all unfold would spread the information out. (Which is how I came to learn of it etc) Warning people that the author would delete every comment he doesn't like, because "unable to take any criticism"

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Regarding this, I've seen readers return to chapter 1, just to "warn" other potential readers, and when the author supposedly deleted those warnings, the other readers who saw it all unfold would spread the information out. (Which is how I came to learn of it etc) Warning people that the author deleted every comment he doesn't like, because "unable to take any criticism"
Ah, I get what you're saying, but I think those "Warnings" should be left as reviews?

I mean, a comment in chapter 1 should discuss c1, not what happens many chapters ahead.

... I honestly dunno how I would react to that if someone made a c1 comment to "warn" other viewers tbh... If it was spoilery, I'd delete it, if not... I think I would just reply to it and be like... "Don't you want to like... Make a review instead? Instead of a comment on the place people should be discussing the chapter itself instead of what happens many chapters in the future?"

Dunno, I get what you're saying, but it also feels really weird to imagine someone making a c1 comment for the sake of a warning, when they should instead just leave a review for that.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Regarding this, I've seen readers return to chapter 1, just to "warn" other potential readers, and when the author supposedly deleted those warnings, the other readers who saw it all unfold would spread the information out. (Which is how I came to learn of it etc) Warning people that the author would delete every comment he doesn't like, because "unable to take any criticism"
Dunno, I get what you're saying, but it also feels really weird to imagine someone making a c1 comment for the sake of a warning, when they should instead just leave a review for that.
It's a big brain move, they don't have time to write a review so they had the bright idea to waste time going to ch1 just to warn people

Fish so smart, figured out clown brain! :blob_uwu::blobchristmas:

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
as in, enough to make Tony let it pass because it seems legit
1669521531963.png

I'm not sure that there are any criteria for Tony to approve the review when these exist. Well, as long as they're not out right trolling and spamming I guess/

Wandering_otter

You can block people here?!
I just got blocked by an author probably because I commented negatively on a few of his chapters but that's such a dumb feature. I understand if it's direct insult to the author or slurs and such but why would genuine reviews of the story be allowed to be blocked

D

Deleted member 113259

I just got blocked by an author probably because I commented negatively on a few of his chapters but that's such a dumb feature. I understand if it's direct insult to the author or slurs and such but why would genuine reviews of the story be allowed to be blocked
Well, technically that's not a feature question. If the author can block you, he can block you. That's all there is to it.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
An author blocking you made you want to find this old thread? That author must be BASED :blob_shade: