Blog Feature in the Forums?

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Just asking to see a show of 'hands.' In NUF, there's a blog feature that I find would be a great addition here as well if that's possible. I think, for an author, besides the profile feature in SH where you can post updates in your profile, I think a blog feature here could be really useful for authors who want to say more but find it awkward to leave a lengthy message in a chapter.

Blog feature or no? What do you guys think?

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
I'd definitely like this. I've had some readers ask questions about plot points in the novel and I think that the blog feature form NUF would be a great addition so that I can place some of the commonly asked questions there as well. Not to mention I like to illustrate some scenes from my novel, and it would be better to have a single place to post all those things related to the story so that readers can find whether it be those explanations, questions, etc without having to search through the comments sections and forums like mad men.
+1

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
What's stopping people right now from making a "blog" via their profile page on SHF or making a personal "blog thread" on the forums?
Also, what kind of features would you want that aren't covered by doing the above?
There was a thread that was literally an author giving updates on their story progress, and Tony was telling people in the Discord that it'd be nice if more people did that.

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
What's stopping people right now from making a "blog" via their profile page on SHF or making a personal "blog thread" on the forums?
Also, what kind of features would you want that aren't covered by doing the above?
There was a thread that was literally an author giving updates on their story progress, and Tony was telling people in the Discord that it'd be nice if more people did that.
I might just do that and link to other threads. Would you mind linking me to the author that did that so I can do a similar setup?

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
I might just do that and link to other threads. Would you mind linking me to the author that did that so I can do a similar setup?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Blogs tend to be more personal while threads tend to be more about discussing specific things. You can use a thread for what you'd use a blog for, but it feels weird and unusual. Also, as the forum grows, the thread activity will increase and threads will start getting buried faster and faster. While this is not an issue atm, it will certainly become one in the future, which makes threads not ideal for this kind of thing.

Regarding Profile Posts, they also get buried with time and the amount of characters you can use in them is very limited, a blog function would be a lot better for when you want to go in detail about something.

Last edited:

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
but it feels weird and unusual
The reason why it feels weird and unusual is that we're wired not to spam in the forums.

Admittedly, I did see this post and also saw Tony commenting on it. My problem with that is it can be so irritating to see it pop-up often and it kind of does go against this:

2. Double posting is tolerated, but within moderation.
- What is double posting? Double posting refer to posting in a thread twice or more in a row.
- Is there a case when double posting is allowed? There are several case when double posting are allowed, for example: In original creation and original composition thread. The first poster of a thread might also post two or more post in to better organize their thread.

To better organize thread. Personally, I think constant updates does not equate to organizing a thread. Don't get me wrong, it was impressive seeing the updates but the constant pop-ups of said updates were slightly off-putting. Meanwhile, a blog has more space to write where max word count isn't as confining as profile posts on a user page. Also, blogs stay on one area of the forums and can easily be searched via user. True, there's a LCD where you can post about what you thought in a certain chapter but like @AliceShiki said,

as the forum goes, the thread activity will increase and threads will start getting buried faster and faster. While this is not an issue atm, it will certainly become one in the future, which makes threads not ideal for this kind of thing.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
I really like the blog section on NUF too! +1 definitely would use!

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I think it'll be short lived but hey, it'll be an amazing firework while we're at it +1 from me