Bloodshed and Backstories

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Isekai seems generally bloody back story free, it's mostly about blankslate characters.
But isekai is more on the power than the characters. Think about it, when you read that Smartphone isekai were you doing it for the MC OR for the phone and the harem?

kola

I don't know what to say, so here is an outline of what happened in a novel I am writing now,
My MC is a black slate after an accident and does not have much to do with his past, but his sadness or drive comes from the fact that his GF gets to be with him for a literally few days before to be married off with a wealthy noble. To avoid any bad news in the future, everyone around MC who knows him tells him to make do with life, and he also gets to marry a girl who loves him.

But now the MC miss those few days with his GF and slowly starts to trace back the leads to his GF with his wife, who is ready for a possible harem.

Yet there is non till now.

RimuThighHighs

I think watching a character come out of a dark and troubled past filled with bloodshed and strife and trying to live a better live while still carrying around that darkness inside of themselves is both enthralling to read and relatable to the vast majority of people. We're human we're not perfect and we suffer and struggle our ways through this mess called life.

Why would we want to read about a protagonist who has never faced hardship or had to fight to overcome adversity.