Book or Language?

Average

As the title suggests I am trying to decide between learning a language or trying my hand at writing.

I started reading Calvin and Hobbes comics while I still had to sound out the words. Ever since then I have read one thing after another. Reading all of my local libraries' children's sections, then at least 90% of the young adult section too. During the pandemic, I moved to reading online novels, which is how I ran into this site. I have consumed most of what it has to offer and am considering starting my own addition to it. But I only have time for one more hobby.
Narrowing it down I have the choice; continue learning Japanese (self-taught) or start a novel.
I have the basic kanji down for Japanese but have not moved on to memorizing words yet, so I don't have that much invested in it. But I am trying to decide which would most likely lead to fun.

I am really just fishing for outside thoughts cause I am incisive, so please tell me what you think.

RisRizRitz

You can write down your reasons for wanting to learning Japanese and for wanting to write a novel. Both of them are going to take a lot of your time if you're going to be serious at it, so its best that this decision is something you've decide for yourself and thought of thoroughly.

Azrie

Redemption Seeker
Well, I do think writing is a ton more fun than learning a language. Mostly because you if lucky get other people to appreciate your work and it makes you feel good! Just kidding~ It's a fun activity all around for me anyway, my brain also enjoys it since it lets me imagine things, imagine how things would truly work and truly picture the most fantastical moments that I could ever fathom! After all, if you write based on your own preferences then it's truly amazing. However, writing is a marathon and not a sprint just like learning a new language, it has its lows and really boring moments where you wish you didn't even have to write this one scene or this one interaction.

It has good and bad, but for me the good completely outweighs the bad. Of course, writing is a journey you could say. There is always more things to try, and sometimes it's not great. You might feel unhappy with the story you have made because you did not think of such a solution! To make an example. So it just has good and bad things in it, like any other things in life. Writing takes time just like learning a language, and both require as much effort to be good at. So I say, good luck in whichever you choose! Because I don't think there is a right or wrong here, you can always write later, or you can always learn japanese later.

Greyman

Your choice, learning japonese may help you read raw manga or more novel or even going to japan! Stuff like that.
Writing your own novel for fun is good too, you're not obligated to do something complicated, just write what you want, sometime it lead to greater stroke of genius. Who know, you may even want to make it a part time job !
Think about what you want in the end of each one and which one appeal to you the most

Agentt

Thighs
How about writing a story in the language you are trying to learn? I mean, you would have to learn the language first, sure, but then writing would solidify it

BlackKnightX

Learning language leads to a lot more opportunities, especially Japanese. For one, you can watch hentai without any subtitles! That would be a dream come true for a lot of degenerates on this site; now that you’re already on that path, just keep going. I can assure you, there is a lot of fun at the end of the tunnel.

Heck, you can even start your writing in the Japanese market once you’ve mastered the language. You can also get a few Jap-chicks you like once you visit the country without looking like an outsider. The opportunities are endless! (Though, none of them can beat hentai, lemma tell ya.)

Just keep moving along, my friend.

Last edited:

Nihilism

As the title suggests I am trying to decide between learning a language or trying my hand at writing.

I started reading Calvin and Hobbes comics while I still had to sound out the words. Ever since then I have read one thing after another. Reading all of my local libraries' children's sections, then at least 90% of the young adult section too. During the pandemic, I moved to reading online novels, which is how I ran into this site. I have consumed most of what it has to offer and am considering starting my own addition to it. But I only have time for one more hobby.
Narrowing it down I have the choice; continue learning Japanese (self-taught) or start a novel.
I have the basic kanji down for Japanese but have not moved on to memorizing words yet, so I don't have that much invested in it. But I am trying to decide which would most likely lead to fun.

I am really just fishing for outside thoughts cause I am incisive, so please tell me what you think.
It's fun writing because I imagine scenes my characters could do and laugh at it.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Try both

Akaichi

Do both, learning a new language takes years. Especally japanese, which would only get harder the more you learn. Untill you reach N2 at least. But it would hel[ you to grow a lot, no matter what you do with it.
writing is the same, it takes year to get good. But the the journy is more enjoyable.
Try both, you might get board of one of them anyway. You never know.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Learning a new language is much more practical than writing. From a career perspective if you think about your future, I’d say you’d find much more demand for someone who is bilingual than a simple writer. Writers are a dime a dozen. There will always be a demand for those bilingual who can act as translators and interpreters, but for writers I think the demand will only decrease more and more over time as the supply is just too large due to the low bar of entry.

At the end of the day I’d say it depends on the type of person you are. If you’re lazy, you pick writing. If you’re not lazy, you’d pick another language to learn.

Last edited:

PancakesWitch

Just learn japanese, imagine being able to read any new LN straight from the japanese sites without having to wait for others to translate them, you can write later