• Yes yes and yes

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I'm a developer and would love to turn my favorite novels into games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a developer and I would not went to turn my favorite novels into games

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Redemit

I'm not a developer or anything but I've often wondered Would any authors here ever be interested in turning their novels into games or writing for games maybe just point and click or visual novel the simpler stuff

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I wouldn't want it.

If I were to write for a VN, I'd rather make the whole story while thinking that it would be made for a VN from the start.

Similarly, if I were to make a story for an RPG or whatever, I'd rather have a story made for that game, and not have my published novel adapted to the game medium.

I mean, I usually write fluffy slice of life or romance... Those tend to not fit games very well (well, they can fit VNs though), so like... I'd need to make some weird system that works for a slice of life/romance novel? Uhn... I don't think I'd like doing that.

I'd rather get a solid system first, and then make a story that can be told by using said system properly and being completemented by it. The gameplay is the priority in a game, so I don't think it makes much sense to start by the story, especially if the story doesn't fit the needs of the genre much.

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
I would want mine to play like Code Vein. I want it to be Dark Souls level of difficulty. You want those demihuman partners? Work for them

D

Deleted member 45782

I'm not a developer or anything but I've often wondered Would any authors here ever be interested in turning their novels into games or writing for games maybe just point and click or visual novel the simpler stuff
They could but there's a lot of details that need be looked at. What to cut out cause its not gonna be pages filled with long words now but dialogues and through interactions and events in a possible game that makes the reader slowly pick up the pieces of what the story is about. Some stories can make good games but there are times when they also might not.

EternalSunset0

Short answer: Yes

Detailed answer: Want? Yes. Reasonably speaking? Probably not.

I would like a game, but I know that it would probably be next to impossible given the amount of work and manpower involved. Oh, and money. I wouldn't want my series to turn into a point-and-click game or a VN, so the "cheaper" options are off the table. I actually think my series works a lot better as an actual JRPG than a series of books, given the arc/volume format and all, so there's that. But I'd say forget it given the amount of manpower, work, and funding needed. Short indie games take years of dedicated work by an entire team to finish, and I've seen the amount of work being put into them myself, not even counting possible internal drama with the dev team and all. What more for big projects?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
My story (link in signature) has a MOBA based on Duel Monsters. I would totally play that if it were real!

Jemini

Game-based story telling is very different from novel-based story telling. Really, you would have to almost completely re-write the story in order to actually make it work. The only thing that translates well from novel to game is the basic core idea and some of the characterization. However, even the character lines will need a lot of re-working in order to relay the same character.

For the most part, you would have to replace a lot of exposition with character dialogue. Or, make characters deliver the exposition instead of the narrator in places.

FortySixtyFour

I'm interested! :blob_hide:

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

These days, you don't even need to be a developer. RPG Maker and VN Maker make the process pretty straight forward with little to no programming knowledge. Unless you plan to do something unique that can't be solved with plugins.

The real bottleneck for games is they need a ton of art.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
These days, you don't even need to be a developer. RPG Maker and VN Maker make the process pretty straight forward with little to no programming knowledge. Unless you plan to do something unique that can't be solved with plugins.

I mean... If you are going to use RPG Maker as your example, you can just use stock artwork for basically everything and it can work out fine? I don't see why the art would be a problem at that point.

EternalSunset0

I think another bottleneck for RPGs would be the actual workload. Balancing everything from bosses to regular encounters is a nightmare, and setting off all those flags and such would take hours on end. That's not even getting to designing maps, towns, etc. that would take even more time.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
For a fantasy story with great world building can be turned into a RTS game. Without all the super op main characters of course.

Redemit

So Its probably a little too late but I added 2 more choices to the poll directed at any game developers that See this thread

Redemit

scribesaga

its possible, but writing video games is very different than writing books. It's a different way of thinking, and I'm not sure I would like it.