Boycott LitRPG, throw me some old school fantasy,

What hooks you in fantasy for me it’s action, what about you guys?

• Total voters

proxybaba

Boycott 😂 who am I Kidding. But please give your fav here which is only fantasy, no game element like xp or system, some old school fantasy genre. There is no restriction in self promotion but do note that it should fall in category I am asking for

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Lord of the rings
Inheritance cycle
On sh,I don't know any fantasy. I have read almost nothing on sh

Le_ther

I chose world because Warhammer fantasy and 40k truly made me love world building and lores. Makes you really appreciate the foreign feeling of the setting that it feels magical

ACertainPassingUser

LitRPG suck because those who write it usually don't even know how to properly RPG gameplay into a novel.

And don't get me started with "System".

It's pretty much the trope of immortal inside a ring all over again, but it's an AI waifu instead of a humble Old Man.

I still have to find LitRPG with pause button, graphics setting, water quality setting, difficulty setting, controller setting, volume option, brightness option, HUD, language setting, subtitles, and "EXIT" Button.

Not even savegame exist, despite the popular "Undertale" giving a good example of replayable Game RPG should look like.

It's pretty much just Overlord-but-worse all-over again. At least Tensei Slime had it's share of mini-politics as ruler with mini-Nation building.

Daitengu

In SH huh. I'm currently reading "Unliving", tho every story by Avitue is a non litrpg.

"So I died" is just so different that I can't help but see where it goes.

FaustVoncleave

One piece, Sevens, Destroyer of ice and fire, and Madan no ou to Vanadis. They're the first ones that come to mind.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Never really had an interest in LITRPGs so I mainly write fantasy and historical fantasy.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I dislike LitRPGs as much as everyone here, it's kinda like Isekai. A flavor trope that got too much attention and now has mutated like some bat guano virus... And now it's so present that everything that comes after it HAS to include it for some weird reason.

Most of the stuff would work without the RPG stuff just as well. Overlord is in it's core just the story of a normal person suddenl finding himself in the body of a really powerful being (with really powerful army), spider is the story of people being used to play murder house (or D&D, depending on who you ask) by a bored deity, slime is just the politics of a colorful cast of races banding together in an actually rather racist world (or how else would you explain the hyperspecialized nations that mostly do not trade with each other?).

DracoNako

Yeah tbh if I wanted to read out a game being played I would just,,, play a game. It makes it difficult at times to find the fantasy I'm actually looking for.

J_Chemist

For me I think it's a mix of the World and very good Character Development. I thoroughly enjoy watching characters change and adapt to the oppressive world they live in. The more difficulty, the better. I really hate seeing characters not grow after going through what should be life changing or mentally unsettling events.

I actually don't mind LitRPG too much. So long as the system is done well and it's a fun adventure with scaling, I usually will give it a go. Most authors, unfortunately, don't scale properly and are more focused on the big booms at the end than they are actually developing the character properly and presenting a fun filled story.

Merrikk

As much as the world will draw me, the mysteries that said world has is the one that will make me stay here, as it's one of the many, but most for me, that makes a fantasy world really damn good.

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
Not being trained from an academic background, I am curious. What is defined as old school fantasy and what not?

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
The problem with litRPG, is that to do it right, it needs to be a part of the story. To make it part of the story, you need rules. Most litRPG is just, NUMBERS AND POWERS. If I can't make my own character using your made up system, then your litRPG sucks.