Can i translate a novel without getting permission to the author?

Oreo

Regardless who or what author is, ask the author's permission. If it leaves a bad taste in your mouth when someone translates your work into another language without permission and don't credit you, don't do it to others.
Exactly. Do unto the others what you want they do to you.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Do you think manga scanlation teams asked the mangakas for permission before they uploaded whole ass volumes onto aggregator sites?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
What if the author is dead?
I have a fav author in my country who died few years ago. I wanted to translate his works someday. What should be done in that case?
You contact the copyright holder. Which is actually what you should do on any given occasion when you want to translate a work. Contacting the author is often times useless, because the copyright holder is often times the publishing company.

... Or you just translate it anyways. Most fantranslators do that.
Do you think manga scanlation teams asked the mangakas for permission before they uploaded whole ass volumes onto aggregator sites?
Manga translators don't upload to aggregators (okay, I know one case that the translator uploaded to aggregators, but it's quite literally one case, and I know hundreds of translator groups). The aggregators steal the translations with bots.

Manga translators either post on mangadex, dynasty, or on their own personal website.

Oreo

Btw if your high enough you can pretend to be the author by using the same username as them.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Manga translators don't upload to aggregators (okay, I know one case that the translator uploaded to aggregators, but it's quite literally one case, and I know hundreds of translator groups). The aggregators steal the translations with bots.

Manga translators either post on mangadex, dynasty, or on their own personal website.
Ight I'll take the L here but my point still... actually I didn't really have a point I'm just referencing how scanlation teams just translate mangas and put em out for free to the masses is all

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Ight I'll take the L here but my point still... actually I didn't really have a point I'm just referencing how scanlation teams just translate mangas and put em out for free to the masses is all
Oh yeah, we definitely do that with a clear conscience~

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
So I've found this interesting 'novel'... But unfortunately, it's from a Chinese site. I tried to search for the translated version. fortunately, it has. But only mtl and terrible.
I want to fix the problem such as grammatical errors, but... Am I allowed to? -without contacting the author of the book?
Is it legal? Not by a long shot. If they choose to make an example of you, you will lose 100%.

Can you do it? If you're physically capable of doing it, nothing's stopping you.

Should you do it? That's up to your conscience. If you're not losing sleep over abusing other people's rights or don't fear being slapped with a heavy fine and have a record of court cases, you do you.