Can readers feel the obvious improvement in quality of writing from an author as they continue on reading?

D-839

Not implying that I've improved by a fuck ton, but I can definitely feel the difference when I started writing and now, and it's been like only 20 days ago? I cannot even imagine a year after.

Cheers! :blob_highfive:

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
You haven't actually improved that much, you're just rereading your old writing and realizing you can do better.

LostLibrarian

A thousand good deeds cannot amount to even a single bad one. :blobtaco:
That's true. But let me give you a more serious answer:

The fact that improvements are less obvious to readers is the timeframe. Bad chapters that fall off the cliff are a big step down. (They "fall" down after all.) Positive improvements, especially over the course of a long-running series, are more incremental and become "the new standard" before they become big enough to be seen as a clear step up.
So the majority of readers won't realize on a chapter by chapter basis how you improve. They'll just remember you as a writer with a better skill level from then on.

The clear and open comparison are either re-reads or new readers who binge-read through your stuff. They shorten the timespan between chapters so much, that the upward trends becomes a new cliff big enough to be seen. Obvious signs of that are the usual "it gets better after chapter 50" you see in many webnovel reviews or comments toward negative reviews. It's not that chapter 50 or 100 had that one big event that jumpstarted everything, but the slow increase of quality over all those chapters resulted in a better product at that time. That's especially true for stuff like flow in chapters and the overall story.

Most writers don't show "obvious improvements" in a short time. Especially, if you don't start at zero. That's just not a realistic trajectory if you gave it your all from the start. So most readers also won't see those improvements as obvious. Simply because they aren't there. It's the reason you won't see readers go "Oh, your dialogue has improved so much" every few chapters. Because it doesn't. That said, those incremental improvements are still noted subconsciously and that also counts in your favor.

It's just that the idea of "improving a lot in a short time" isn't really that realistic...

D-839

That's true. But let me give you a more serious answer:

The fact that improvements are less obvious to readers is the timeframe. Bad chapters that fall off the cliff are a big step down. (They "fall" down after all.) Positive improvements, especially over the course of a long-running series, are more incremental and become "the new standard" before they become big enough to be seen as a clear step up.
So the majority of readers won't realize on a chapter by chapter basis how you improve. They'll just remember you as a writer with a better skill level from then on.

The clear and open comparison are either re-reads or new readers who binge-read through your stuff. They shorten the timespan between chapters so much, that the upward trends becomes a new cliff big enough to be seen. Obvious signs of that are the usual "it gets better after chapter 50" you see in many webnovel reviews or comments toward negative reviews. It's not that chapter 50 or 100 had that one big event that jumpstarted everything, but the slow increase of quality over all those chapters resulted in a better product at that time. That's especially true for stuff like flow in chapters and the overall story.

Most writers don't show "obvious improvements" in a short time. Especially, if you don't start at zero. That's just not a realistic trajectory if you gave it your all from the start. So most readers also won't see those improvements as obvious. Simply because they aren't there. It's the reason you won't see readers go "Oh, your dialogue has improved so much" every few chapters. Because it doesn't. That said, those incremental improvements are still noted subconsciously and that also counts in your favor.

It's just that the idea of "improving a lot in a short time" isn't really that realistic...
Yes! This was the answer I was searching for haha. There's always room for improvement no matter how good you've become. Honestly, the increase in quality might not really faze the reader's thoughts that much, but as a writer, feeling yourself visibly improve in the quality and way you write is extremely gratifying, more so if the readers notice and point it out!

Especially for someone like me, who just writes as a hobby; getting recognition and constructive criticisms from readers is really helpful to bring my standards up.
You haven't actually improved that much, you're just rereading your old writing and realizing you can do better.
That's true! Always room for further refinements to boost your quality a step higher.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
I do. Though considering that you question whether an obvious improvement in quality is noticeable (which by definition is), I have to wonder how much you really have improved in 20-ish days

Last edited:

D-839

I do. Those considering that you question whether an obvious improvement in quality is noticeable (which by definition is), I have to wonder how much you really have improved in 20-ish days
At least to myself, I feel like I've improved enough to notice the difference in the way I write I guess? Haha :blob_shock:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Yes, unless the author gets pregnant and suffers from pregnancy brain.

otosewrites

I'm surprised authors don't go back and edit more ... I can't stand a mistake in one of my older chapters. I have to go back and fix it. Which takes away from writing new chapters but *shrugs*.