Can someone read my web novel and give some feedback?

So uhh... I uploaded my latest web novel but It doesn't get any views. Could someone read it and give some feedback.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
  • Get some cover, even if its just an image from google, that fits the story to grab the eyes of possible readers
  • A more telling descritpion wouldn't hurt imo.
  • Before posting a story I would advise you to stock up on at least 4-5 chapters (or more, depending on the wordcount) so if someone is interested has something to read and form an opinion about your story if he or she wants to read it at all and invest time in it.
These are only my thoughts, based on what I look at first when checking out a story.

On grammar I am not qualifed to say anything so I will skip that part and leave it to those who are way better at it than me. As to the story/settings and how it felt, I can't say much as it was too short. I can't give you a proper feedback until I know more about setting(s) and character(s). It felt like a prologue (which doesn't mean that it was bad) but I could only give you a feedback of how the story felt if I have at least 5 more chapters. Going by your current wordcount. I couldn't form an opinion of the character(s) yet and neither of what kind of story it may turn out to be. It is too vague at the moment. And neither the vague description and few tags help with that. What it will be about? Should I expect a system filled fantasy? A Sci-fi? Both? Will he turn into a sims character with another floating prism above his head? Some impostor will snap his neck backwards next?

HellerFeed

It's not even been 12 hrs since you uploaded your 1st chapter.

As previously stated, a book without a cover also doesn't get much attention. It just shows author himself doesn't care about his/her own book. So at least use Canva or something to create a cover. Even if it's windows wallpaper with a name it is much better than a coverless book.

Also, your 2 liner summary also won't help attract your readers. At least give them chewable bait so that at least they know what they are going to get to eat later, like taste testing before buy buying the product in a supermarket.

You can't understand how your fried rice dish gonna taste by just eating 2 grains of rice from the dish.
In a similar manner, your 2 line summary is just that, 2 grains of rice. You need to write a proper summary to attract the right readers.

Jemini

1st issue, right from the start, the cold open approach really doesn't work in writing that well in general, and in the few cases it does you are generally using an action event with heightened emotions and you really need to immerse your audience in the moment with a lot of descriptive details. Just suddenly talking about a cuboid thing over the MC's head absolutely doesn't work as a cold open.

2nd issue, you are rushing things WAY too much. Slow down a bit and live in the world a little. I get that you are wanting to get straight to whatever's at the end of all the tasks, but some of the best series of this sort in the world actually take their time to detail out a number of the tasks and the hardship the character has to go through to complete them. This sort of thing is your opportunity to introduce the MC and present some things about their personality.

Alternately, if you REALLY want to just get to the end of the tasks quickly, you can just start him at task 99 and then have a quick retrospective on the nature of these tasks. Then, after that quick retrospective, you can go into more detail on the museum heist.

3rd issue, the MC doesn't have much of a personality. They're just yelling about a bunch of stuff the entire time. There was nothing here to really give me a connection to the MC and identify with his character.

Overall, this story is really lacking in some of the core basics here. There's absolutely nothing to really engage the audience. You should probably consider reading a little more before you try something ambitious like this, preferably something that is along the lines of the same genre as you're going for. In terms of this bunch of tasks stuff, "Tower of God" has about the same kind of feel as what you seem to be going for. Some other South-Khorean series like "Solo Leveling" might be good to look into as well. "Solo Leveling" is a bit different from what you seem to be going for, but it's still got the kind of general feel for what you seem to be going for here.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Them: The Ultrabeasts Attack
Your title is a pledge. What are you pledging to me? What is your promise?
And I'd reorder it. Them: Attack of the Ultrabeasts

“Why in the world is this cuboid floating above my head?” said Klein Macthony.
You live and die by your first sentence. Said leaves your vocabulary. Right now.
Rarely start by talking.
Klein Macthony was staring up at the cube floating above his head wondering if he was hallucinating or if he had become a Sims Character.
Better.
Your first sentence is your HOOK. You are giving me a mystery. You are promising me that the answer to your mystery is in this book, and that if I want to know the answer, I can only find it in this book.

Klein was standing beside his mother in the kitchen while she washed the dishes. The house was made of wood, including most of the furniture. A bug flew around as Klein stared at the wall.

Your first paragraph is your sales pitch. It is what you show me to expect of your writing style. This is to sell me YOU as a writer.

This sucks. Make it a proper paragraph and show me what you got.

Title: Pledge.
First Sentence: What is the question that can only be answered in this book?
First Paragraph: Sales Pitch. Sell me YOU.

You cannot expect anyone to read any further than that. If you have not sold me on your story by then...
YOUR STORY IS DEAD ON ARRIVAL.

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
doesn't get any views.
posted 11 hrs ago with no cover. No shit Sherlock.

Now let's see what you have
“Why in the world is this cuboid floating above my head?” said Klein Macthony.
Hmmm... Immediately I see two problems. First: nobody ever speaks like that, not even to themselves.
Second: you could word it differently. No need for "said"
What Klein was talking about was a cuboid floating on the top of his head which said, “Task 1: …

Klein’s Mother, Elizabeth, looked surprised. In a surprised tone, she said, “Oh! You didn’t see the news last night, did you? The government announced that the first person to complete a hundred of these ‘Tasks’ gets a large fortune. I don’t know the motive the government has but since it’s appeared on everyone, it must be real.”

“Wow! Like, really? So how do I get my first task?” said Klein, surprised but happy at this news.

“You need to go to school to get them. I don’t know the exact details but apparently your teachers will give them to you." Said Elizabeth.
Said, said, said - nada, nada, nada.
The next day, Klein was, comparably, already far ahead than others in his school in terms of completing his tasks. He was determined and was basically doing his tasks at the speed of sound. Klein got bored of doing the tasks and decided to call his friend Steve.
Confusing sentence structure
Confusing plot with no attempt to explain anything, characters pop out to only get out of the stage for no reason - good trolling?

FaustVoncleave

A few issues. First off, you might want to start with a prologue. This seems like a very specific world where people have grown up with the supernatural aspects as if it were gravity, so some explanation on that is needed. I'd also suggest opening up on a more human scene where we get introduced to the mc a little more before the inciting incident. There's also some moments that are kind of jarring to read, like this paragraph,
The next day, Klein was, comparably, already far ahead than others in his school in terms of completing his tasks. He was determined and was basically doing his tasks at the speed of sound. Klein got bored of doing the tasks and decided to call his friend Steve
It tripped me like crazy when I read he got bored and called his friend right after I read he was doing everything at great speed out of determination(side note, I miss undertale. Does anyone still remember that game). The conversation with his friend is also incredibly jarring, actually, it's way more jarring, like, I got whiplash reading it jarring. You can't have someone open up with I'm good and then bragging about how many tasks they've done when one of their supposed best friend's have died doing said tasks, it just doesn't work. His mother suddenly coming in and boarding up the place also needs more explanation. Since I don't have a grasp on the mc I also don't understand why he's going so far to complete this task to the point of breaking into a museum and stealing.

Honestly, right now this chapter is a mess. I'm not saying there's nothing good here, some interesting ideas are on display and I like the idea of the trials, you've also obviously put quite a bit of thought into it, but it needs some serious work.

My biggest advice is to SLOW DOWN. This first chapter is going at a hundred miles per hour and it makes me not feel any of it. There's enough events here to make three to four chapters, just flesh out scenes. Have him spend more time at the house when he wakes up, talk about his living conditions, social class, age, family matters, the basics, give us some idea of who he is, you can even slip in some worldbuilding. Introduce his two friends when he gets to the school instead of going straight to the trial, have them gossip about what they think is going on, introduce the mcs reason for wanting to win, develop a bit of a rivalry between him and the friend who dies so that it hits harder. Don't have the doctor's react to the mc that way in front of him, have it be behind closed doors and he overhears or something(How he overhears can be a character building moment.) Pick out some of the more fun events and show him doing them, have his family comment on their thoughts on it, you can even seed the mother putting him in lockdown here, maybe even have him do a few task with his friends, really earn that incoming death(Well, as much as you can in three chapters). Have the one friend die as planned, instead of having the two truck along with barely a bump, have the other one drop out, and have the mc seriously question whether it's worth it before continuing. Slow moments like these might seem unnecessary, but they're what really makes a story a story, they give weight and power to the big scenes. Right now it reads closer to an outline.

My smaller advice is for character dialogue. When you have characters talk to each other, before you write any of it, think about what information you want conveyed to the audience, what the relationship between the characters are, and what each character's current mood is before you have them talk. If you're having trouble with it then write out the conversation normally first, reread it, and then break it down into those three categories and make the changes.

Jemini

You live and die by your first sentence. Said leaves your vocabulary. Right now.

Hmm... I do agree his first sentence here sucks, but I don't get the deal with calling out the word "said" in particular. It's just using "says" in the past tense, and writers use "said" all the time. It's considered the invisible speaker tag for a reason, and a lot of professional writers and editors for main-stream publishers actually recommend you DO use "said" over every other possible speaker tag.

I mean, if you're criticizing the fact he opened chapter 1 with dialogue without any scene-setting, then I agree that's a problem. I really don't think the use of that one particular word is something to be singled out though.

ChaosGodOfJashin

The Chaos God of The Towers
So uhh... I uploaded my latest web novel but It doesn't get any views. Could someone read it and give some feedback.

Hmmm... The feel isn't there, the urgency of the situation and all the panic isn't there. I didn't get any of the feelings. It is going to fast and you must slow down. I understand the concept of the novel but I think the first chapter could be better.
You could show how the task was given, the backstory of the task, or even just make the chapter a bit longer but not forced. The first chapter is the first impression of the novel most people have so my suggestion is to make it better.
Secondly, is you should try to use better wording as well.. not like 'said OP' but more intuitive and 'OP said while drinking tea'. From what I am seeing it is also in the 1st PoV and what I recommend when you are using that is to write the thoughts of the character itself.
Thirdly, grab a cover that should fit your novel and a synopsis that is better explaining your novel. A cover that is catchy could make your panel better and coupled with a better synopsis you could have a better views count.
Lastly is.. patience. Be patient. If no views were gathered on your novel, realise then something was wrong. Maybe it wasn't interesting enough? Maybe because it was the timezone most people live in. Just try to be patient.
That is all from me, remember we had the same problem back then as well and even now I am still not that popular of a writer you know? But improve yourself and strive to be better. Do not get discouraged and keep being better.

Lloyd

Professional Writer

The page is a mess! Justify your text.

Mandark

I don’t want to be mean but you’re looking for validation after one 1200 word chapter then I have no interest in your work because I know you will not put the effort in to finish it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll be take down the novel and rewrite it. Thanks once again.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
I'm not the OP but these suggestions are good to read through to improve myself, lovin it