Can writers time travel?

S-Scherr

Thought I'd throw this out there to find out if other writers have considered this, or if I'm just weird as shit... lol.

Have you ever been so 'in the zone' when you're writing a scene, that when you're finished, hours have flown by in the real world while the scene you've written may only be like twenty minutes long in that fictional place? Why the hell is there such a time gap between here and there, and just where do 'we' go when we're in that zone? I swear, it almost feels like time travel or something. Any thoughts on this?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Ohh, that happened so many times already (writing and drawing). I’m so immersed in what I do, that suddenly, two, three or four hours passed by like nothing. Then I’m just staring at the clock thinking, “how could this happen (⊙_⊙). Why can’t it be xx o’clock again?”

So, you’re not alone. We all can time travel :blobthumbsup:

TheLovelyFire

I believe in the theory that is in which each story has it own universe in the multiversse. So I think it not entirely time travel, but your seeing the universe of your story. It similar to how movies make some action seem quick even though in reality it isn't.

S-Scherr

@TheLovelyFire I suppose dreams act the same way. I've had some crazy 'action' type dreams that felt like minutes passed, just to wake abruptly to the alarm clock six hours later feeling like I only slept for those few minutes ;)

Kotohood

Noob Author
The feeling of despair multiplies even further when you realized that you've spent the whole day, but only have half a chapter written down.

Then you ask yourself. Where are all the time I had?!

Elateam

Fish and Chips Salesperson
@TheLovelyFire I suppose dreams act the same way. I've had some crazy 'action' type dreams that felt like minutes passed, just to wake abruptly to the alarm clock six hours later feeling like I only slept for those few minutes ;)

My experience is the complete opposite. I would have nightmares that felt like an eternity only to wake up at specifically 2:30 in the morning for some reason and not being able to fall back asleep.

The feeling of despair multiplies even further when you realized that you've spent the whole day, but only have half a chapter written down.

Then you ask yourself. Where are all the time I had?!
The time went down the drain, just like my hopes and dreams :blob_teary:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Writers live in this limbo where the concept of time don't fathom them, even down to the deepest, most sensitive fibre of their body.

When they say the mind controls the body, they ain't pulling legs. You either write for 5 minutes and find out you've skipped a night or sit down to think of chapter outlines and come back to a new day.

Though our mind transcends space and time, our body remains mortal. To counter such disadvantage, transhumanism is the one salvation to our dying species.

So come together, my brethen. Equip the immortal metal and triumph over the empty-minded.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
wish it was the inverse... I've probably spent around 4 hours total on the last 30 seconds or so of the chapter i'm writing :(

it's pretty much the same thing when i was engrossed in something, so i didn't pay much attention.

what matters is i have lots of fun. it made me able to sleep well and have nice dreams.

Ninetailed_Furball

An entire day gone writing a five minute scene :blob_teary:
The real super power of authors isn't the power to create entire worlds and universes, but time dilation.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
An entire day gone writing a five minute scene :blob_teary:
The real super power of authors isn't the power to create entire worlds and universes, but time dilation.

I mean, you could do a hell lot with a five minute scene. The entirety of Harry Potter's last fight with Noseless Steve took at least 7 pages for what's essentially half a minute.

Then you get the total opposite like Trees of Aeon whose author can encompass 40 time skips in 2K words. Not that it's a good sign.