Can you still get the reader's perspective into your story?

Void-sensei

Behold, you know the past, the present, the future, and all the mysteries of the universe.
How do you do to forget all this and try to enjoy the rediscovery of this world?
How do you know if it's interesting to others or just to you who already know everything?
Take a look at my story: Astrid

Last edited:

Gerazzza

Well, this is from my own perspective but the answer to your 1st question for me is, I don't. Most of the stories I write are like a blank canvas, where even I as the writer don't know where the plot will go. I just create the characters, their personalities and their backgrounds, then throw those together into a story world that I don't know what's inside. Main disadvantage of this is the messy pacing and plot I get, but in exchange I'm enjoying it as if I'm a reader instead of a writer. I always look forward to writing my story cause I don't know where it'll go. But yes, it's super risky since on a bad day where I have no good ideas, I won't be able to write anything basically.

As for the 2nd question, since my 1st question's answer is like that I don't think I can quite answer it, since like I said above, it's interesting to me cause I myself don't know where my stories would go. IMO though, you shouldn't worry too much about it. Your story won't interest 100% of the readers reading it, same as any other stories. If someone likes your style of story writing, then they'll stick around, if they don't then they'll leave. Ask for feedbacks if you want to improve, get some other writers to read your story and see what they would do with it instead to see the insight you might've lacked.

Those are the only advices I can give though to be fair I'm also pretty much still an amateur in writing. The most important thing IMO is to enjoy writing your story yourself, considering you don't plan to make a living out of writing.

Void-sensei

I see, this is the kind of vision I'd like to see to compare, so are you the kind that lets the characters create the story?
I am more of the type who creates the world and events before letting the characters get involved in the story. I like it because the story seems more structured, but ... it's hard to put a color on the characters when they're just chess pieces that can be black or white (or gray like most of the time lol).

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I do things pretty similarly to Gerazzza, so I mainly let the story create itself as I go along, which leads to not that much planning ahead... I do try to plan the ending at the very least though, having an end goal helps moving the story forward and avoiding writer blocks and what not.

As for getting reader's perspective? Uhn... Well, I experience my story as I create it, but it's hard to think of it as a reader as I'm the one making it move forward, even if I let it happen organically for the most part.

If anything, what I actually take from my readers is feedback and lessons on how to improve and things that I should try fixing if possible. But it's quite hard for me to put myself on their place when I'm already writing (or already finished) the next chapter.

This will be particularly hard for my next novel as I plan to have advance chapters on patreon and stuff, so I'll be 10 chapters ahead of my average reader... It's hard to relate at those points! >.<

for the first question, i probably just forget what i write on all the previous chapters and focus on what i write the most. of course, i try to conceptualize the story so anything works out.

and i don't think im capable of relating to others that much, that's why a lot of people told me my stories are weird as fook (but they read it anyway). as for knowing, i just leave it blank and proceed according to mood, so--I dunno.

Silvareiel

In my case I do know some of the Past, Present and Future, but certainly no all of it. I don't even know all my characters, sometimes they simply pop-up. When I write I'm kind of watching a movie that is playing in my head and very quickly trying to turn into words, almost like a waking dream. So I'm still surprised about a lot that happens, even about a lot that's said and done. And sometimes I'm left in a bit of tight spot, not knowing how I should solve something or get out of a certain situation. And that's why I love writing and why I have tones of fun doing it. Yes, it is fundamentally my world since I created it, but it's still surprising and new at every turn. And since I created it, well, I'm bound to like it and have some fun.
Then, regarding the readers, I suppose that there are people to like and enjoying just about everything that exists out there. So it's like paths crossing. A reader that likes the same things that you like stumbles into your story, and bam! You got yourself a fan :)
I think that worrying too much if it's interesting to others is not what's most important. Some people will love the mystery and not knowing right up front what's happening. Some will get annoyed and go like, what the hell, I don't get any of this! The most important thing is that you, as a writer, are having fun with what you're building. Building worlds is a hard process, and you'll probably have to go back, and back again, and rewrite, and re-read. If you don't have enough love for it, you'll probably just end up giving up. You know? When you're in love you can take almost anything from your loved one, and you will still love it even if no one else does. That's what writing is all about. (my humble opinion, of course ^_^;)

MrDarkness1234

Dark Matter of All Evil
yeah the same but if you plan I fight sence plan it well because you will be in hatiuts hell if you don't that whats happens to me a 2 months back

MrDarkness1234

Dark Matter of All Evil
When I shit that distracted me 6 rewrites,dozens of new info,etc that kept me up night after night but for now quit my story until I could impove my writing because fuck it im going to make some fanfics and good isekai stories until I could finish it but for now I'm just beat trying to find some RPs that's right for me.

Void-sensei

And the wild answers appeared! (I love this)
Anyway, thanks for the answers, it wasn't quite what I expected, but it gave me a new notion.
It seems that some people like to walk the road while I prefer to build it just for someone to pass it? (Probably something like this?)
Building the village, a city, a kingdom, a dugeon, a war ... and putting someone to experience it all is what I really enjoy.
Creating a problem and putting someone to resolve at the same time that I know what it will generate is what gives me the most satisfaction, letting someone go one way while letting others experience others just to meet later is the greatest delight, no doubt the greatest delight.
Reading other stories and having the pleasure of experiencing them as a reader is different from that, but still something simply amazing.

Silver_Sky

it's honestly better for most people to imagine and conceptualize an outline of plot points then have fun with the rest only putting in things and refining them to fit the pacing and plot as well as characters

Jemini

Well, this is from my own perspective but the answer to your 1st question for me is, I don't. Most of the stories I write are like a blank canvas, where even I as the writer don't know where the plot will go. I just create the characters, their personalities and their backgrounds, then throw those together into a story world that I don't know what's inside. Main disadvantage of this is the messy pacing and plot I get, but in exchange I'm enjoying it as if I'm a reader instead of a writer. I always look forward to writing my story cause I don't know where it'll go. But yes, it's super risky since on a bad day where I have no good ideas, I won't be able to write anything basically.

I've actually found a solution to this problem, it sorta a mix between plotting and pantsing. (Pantsing is the term used for what you are describing above, it's writer's short-hand for "writing by the seat of your pants.") What I do is basically the same as you, except I have my story structure broken down into acts and arcs. An act is approximately 10 chapters, and an arc is 5 acts. I try to have a good idea of where I want the story to end up by the end of each arc, and also have some idea of what I want the theme of the current act as well as the next act after that to be. So, not full plotting, but just enough to keep my characters in line and moving toward a goal. I sometimes have to revise that goal a little by the time I get there because something a character did messed it up, but I do always try to compensate when that happens and find a new plot to fit to those disruptive actions.

(Oh, and I also try to know the theme of the next arc after the current one as well, just so I can do some proper foreshadowing and set-up to allow it to happen, or at least to avoid sabotaging myself.)