Writing Can't think of anything

Michuyu

Yo, I want to write so bad but I can't think of anyyything.

Dozo. Discuss. E.G. How you came up with your story idea.
Think about some stories you have read and think about what could have gone differently if you changed some aspects, like maybe their species, or abilities, and keep changing things until it becomes totally different from the original xD That's not what I do, but it gives you a base to work off of and it might allow you to think of things you wouldn't have otherwise.

What I do, is a question usually comes up in my head, then I try to answer that in detail. A story is born!

D

Deleted member 46002

Tons of sources to get that from :blob_popcorn: Roleplays, music, random thoughts in your head, playing games, anime stuff, etc.
I created the story with my friend via roleplaying because our way of thinking had almost matched so, the story just went with a flow. Yes, it might sound cringe, but that is actually true. The plot itself is still perfect IMO. :blob_uwu:
I have posted a few chapters if you are interested.

happypanda

1. Take a paper
2. Cut it to pieces
3. Write down a bunch of words on them
4. Put them in a bowl
5. Pick three randomly
6. ???
7. Profit

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
I suck at actually getting the writing done, but ideas are easy for me.

Take a list of things you like, find interesting, or hate. Pick one or more of them, build a generic world, arrange things focused on what you picked, watch what happens. A big part of it is trying to understand how different factors will change how the world you create functions. Most stories never consider the true impact of typical fantasy-style magic, for example, that idea alone can give dozens of story ideas. Maybe fire was discovered because cavemen accidentally figured out how to make small flames with magic. Consider how that would change the path forward from there, now you have dozens of ideas depending on different directions things go.

Just pick an idea and simulate how it changes things around it, then if that seems interesting, there is a story idea. Or several.

ForestDweller

I have the opposite problem. I have too many ideas to the point that fitting them all into my story causes pacing issues.

BackWoodsJ_ACK

Birbs, dog, and burbers
Well, it all came together when I read a lot of books and watched a lot movies that consist of MCs with a grey morality.

I like the fact that in order to protect what they deemed precious, they use any means. Whether it's torture, kidnapping, killing, selling drugs etc. As long as it provides a step towards their goal they're willing to do it.

Using these qualities, I wanted my MC to be a person who's all around nice but if he'd have to he could use underhanded to get done what needs to be done.

My story also came about after listening to music. Depending on the genre, I'd make scenarios in my head and find somewhere to use them.

D

Deleted member 45782

There's an app called Writing Prompts app that's developed by Bew on Google Play Store. I use to put a bunch of ideas on there since I didn't really think I would be writing out some stories. Its been updated a ton so a lot of features added and some features eh...stuff. Check it out thu.

Currently, there are stories that I really want to write about but not publish it on writing platforms because i plan to save it for someday when I could take those beyond that. However, I do think of short scenes and stories and ideas that I could work on and put on writing platforms, but since its also not something I'm complete interested in, its often hard for me to seriously think about writing those short stories fully out.

It'll probably happen at some point, but a lot of things on mind right now that got to focus as well. I agree with @BackWoodsJ_ACK , listening to epic music like Two Steps from Hell, and certain chinese drama ost songs helps to get the creative juices flowing. Sometimes its easier to listen to music and then conjure a story that revolves around that music type.

So Writing Prompt App, Music. Read Other Stories if you want to see what to wish and improve (or take some topics in irl and put them in stories to deliver a message you want readers to think about).

skillet

a frying pan
Umm, not sure if this will help, but...

The number one thing that makes me want to write and think up ideas is to read the most cliche stories you could ever find (I mean MULTIPLE) in a genre you like reading/writing until you go NO!!!! WHY!!!! UGH NO DO THIS INSTEAAAD and then start writing ideas down to fix what annoys you the most. Haha. Usually, once that gets going, ideas just start pouring in, I add other stuff I like reading-- and I have a story idea before I know it.

...I
I just realized this is a fairly masochistic way to do things but
trust me, it does work.... :sweating_profusely:

D

Deleted member 45782

Umm, not sure if this will help, but...

The number one thing that makes me want to write and think up ideas is to read the most cliche stories you could ever find (I mean MULTIPLE) in a genre you like reading/writing until you go NO!!!! WHY!!!! UGH NO DO THIS INSTEAAAD and then start writing ideas down to fix what annoys you the most. Haha. Usually, once that gets going, ideas just start pouring in, I add other stuff I like reading-- and I have a story idea before I know it.

...I
I just realized this is a fairly masochistic way to do things but
trust me, it does work.... :sweating_profusely:
Yes, that's true. Sometimes you read clichés that feel so out of there, it annoys you to start writing what you think would be better and starts you on a writing path.