Resolved Chapter releases don't show up on latest updates

Sinpathy

My chapter releases sometimes don't show up on latest updates. And when they do, they also disappear at times after about an hour or so.
Any clue why this is happening?

Tony

Staff member
My chapter releases sometimes don't show up on latest updates.

After publishing your chapter, it could take up to five minutes to show up so that could be the problem if you're checking right after you publish your chapter.

And when they do, they also disappear at times after about an hour or so.
Any clue why this is happening?

Did you check the 2nd page? Depending on the time and day, it could've gotten bumped down to the 2nd page if it was over an hour.

Sinpathy

Nope, I check in 30-minute intervals. I check the time of releases as well, strange it doesn't show up permanently.

Tony

Staff member
Nope, I check in 30-minute intervals. I check the time of releases as well, strange it doesn't show up permanently.

What do you mean it doesn't show up "permanently"? The release doesn't hide itself after X minutes if that's what you're saying. Can you take a screenshot of the latest update when it happens next time? I can't seem to recreate this bug.

Also, are you using the sorting chapter feature? If so, does this bug only happen when you're using the sorting chapter feature?

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
Hello, I seem to have a problem with this too. I took some screenshots.

Problem: I posted my "Chapter 7 - Facade For Everyone" for my story "An Odd Rose, Love Critical Failure", but 3 hours later I noticed that I couldn't find it on the latest updates. I don't know if it ever showed up on scribblehub or novelupdates which is a bummer since ... I think everybody wants their story to show up.

Also, I read above that there was something to do with the chapter sorting feature. I used that feature shortly before or after I published the chapter. I don't remember if it was before or after.

I have asked some of my readers who read my chapter as soon as it came out this question.

"Did you see my story link advertised on novelupdates or scribblehubs "Latest Updates" at the time when you read my story chapter 7? If you don't remember or know that's fine."

One person was kind enough to reply and they told me that they did in fact see my story in the latest updates feed. So it must have disappeared sometime after 1-2 hours based on when they read my chapter.

Question: Chapters don't get automatically filtered out for things like, "Oh, stories that contain swearing like the F-word get filtered out from advertising, or stories that have a particular tag get filtered out." do they?

All these screenshots were taken at the same time.

2019-10-19 02_53_02.png

This is the first page.
It's been 2-3 hours since I posted my chapter.

2019-10-19 02_53_30.png

This is the second page.

2019-10-19 02_54_59.png

My "Chapter 7" used to be overtop of the "Testing" entry. Then I moved Testing up and Chapter 7 Down one and saved.

2019-10-19 02_54_14.png

Last edited:

Sinpathy

Problem: I posted my "Chapter 7 - Facade For Everyone" for my story "An Odd Rose, Love Critical Failure", but 3 hours later I noticed that I couldn't find it on the latest updates. I don't know if it ever showed up on scribblehub or novelupdates which is a bummer since ... I think everybody wants their story to show up.

Also, I read above that there was something to do with the chapter sorting feature. I used that feature shortly before or after I published the chapter. I don't remember if it was before or after.

Question: Chapters don't get automatically filtered out for things like, "Oh, stories that contain swearing like the F-word get filtered out from advertising, or stories that have a particular tag get filtered out." do they?

This is the first page.

This is the second page.

My "Chapter 7" used to be overtop of the "Testing" entry. Then I moved Testing up and Chapter 7 Down one and saved.

Yup, it happens on and off, and it's kind of annoying. I've not been getting it recently though which is good.

Yorda

What do you mean it doesn't show up "permanently"? The release doesn't hide itself after X minutes if that's what you're saying. Can you take a screenshot of the latest update when it happens next time? I can't seem to recreate this bug.

Also, are you using the sorting chapter feature? If so, does this bug only happen when you're using the sorting chapter feature?
Hello. I had the same problem as Sinpathy so I made a post above with screenshots and tried to explain as best as I could.

Tony

Staff member

I have asked some of my readers who read my chapter as soon as it came out this question.

"Did you see my story link advertised on novelupdates or scribblehubs "Latest Updates" at the time when you read my story chapter 7? If you don't remember or know that's fine."

One person was kind enough to reply and they told me that they did in fact see my story in the latest updates feed. So it must have disappeared sometime after 1-2 hours based on when they read my chapter.

This is the first page.

This is the second page.

Yup, it happens on and off, and it's kind of annoying. I've not been getting it recently though which is good.
Hello. I had the same problem as Sinpathy so I made a post above with screenshots and tried to explain as best as I could.

Thanks for being detailed and the screenshots! I can confirm it's happening after you used the sorting chapter feature. At least in @Yorda's case.

The problem is I have it that way to prevent cheating. What kind of cheating? In the past, it used to be possible to get back on the top of the latest update page by sorting the chapters around. Until I can come up with a better solution to prevent this, this will keep happening if you use the sorting feature to rearrange your chapters.

For @Yorda's case, he had an empty draft chapter he moved to the top. Your chapter is not actually gone from the update page, it's been moved back a few pages. I would recommend not using the sorting chapter feature unless you have to.

Yorda

Thanks for being detailed and the screenshots! I can confirm it's happening after you used the sorting chapter feature. At least in @Yorda's case.

The problem is I have it that way to prevent cheating. What kind of cheating? In the past, it used to be possible to get back on the top of the latest update page by sorting the chapters around. Until I can come up with a better solution to prevent this, this will keep happening if you use the sorting feature to rearrange your chapters.

For @Yorda's case, he had an empty draft chapter he moved to the top. Your chapter is not actually gone from the update page, it's been moved back a few pages. I would recommend not using the sorting chapter feature unless you have to.

Aha! Thank you very much. This was interesting! I won't sort immediately after releases anymore.

Tony

Staff member
Aha! Thank you very much. This was interesting! I won't sort immediately after releases anymore.

No problem! Thanks again for the detailed explanation and screenshots!