Chess For The Female Lead

Lorelliad

If you love me, tie my hair 🎵
I've decided to model my Female Lead on the girl in my profile picture.

Just like how she's playing chess, I'm gonna make her character a prodigy in it.

So any chess players or people who've wrote about it in their stories mind helping me out?

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft

Just like how she's playing chess, I'm gonna make her character a prodigy in it.

So any chess players or people who've wrote about it in their stories mind helping me out?
Did someone just say CHHHEEEESSSSSS?

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
1. Na3 - Better known as the Sodium Opening, or the most insulting opening move possible from white, because basically what you are saying is, I can waste my first move and still kick your ass.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶

Rather than making her a prodigy, you could make it a hobby for her. Otherwise, you'll be putting yourself in a tough position. Unless you're writing a chess fanfic, I guess. In that case, you'll need to learn to play chess yourself, yeah?

Lorelliad

Rather than making her a prodigy, you could make it a hobby for her. Otherwise, you'll be putting yourself in a tough position. Unless you're writing a chess fanfic, I guess. In that case, you'll need to learn to play chess yourself, yeah?
I figured having her and the MC face off in a heated battle when they meet.

She's a psychic who's blind.

She was the top scorer and most diligent student, all that stuff when she was much younger, until the MC came along.

That's why she wants to take him on in a chess battle.

LilTV1155

Mirror - Copy.png

Motsu

She was the top scorer and most diligent student, all that stuff when she was much younger, until the MC came along.

"Psychic who's blind" Is this a sports shonen or a sports supernatural? I think there needs to be proper build-up instead of retribution. Chess has nothing to do with being smart at subjects or diligent. Being taken away with what you're good at and challenging that someone to chess makes no sense, unless if they do play chess. Then again, being smart in school and being smart in Chess are two different things. Maybe try brainstorming their profiles which might play out to both of them playing chess intensely.

Tbh, thinking about your idea, I have this itching feeling to write the best chess match. Huhu, anyways, try analyzing ches matches from 1981 or from Paul Charles as inspiration for every match that might happen.

You play chess? Let's play! let's play! let's play!

Lorelliad

"Psychic who's blind" Is this a sports shonen or a sports supernatural? I think there needs to be proper build-up instead of retribution. Chess has nothing to do with being smart at subjects or diligent. Being taken away with what you're good at and challenging that someone to chess makes no sense, unless if they do play chess. Then again, being smart in school and being smart in Chess are two different things. Maybe try brainstorming their profiles which might play out to both of them playing chess intensely.

Tbh, thinking about your idea, I have this itching feeling to write the best chess match. Huhu, anyways, try analyzing ches matches from 1981 or from Paul Charles as inspiration for every match that might happen.

Ofc there'll be proper build up. I'm thinking that through though. (No promises) I think the chess thing also works since the game is usually portrayed as the ultimate wit battle. So who knows, her being overtaken by the MC academically was a fluke. By chance, chess is also what she uses to tell the futures of the people she talk to. She uses it to understand the people she deals with.

Me making up a scenario that could actually work? :blob_aww:
I'd love to, but I don't know a lot about it.

Motsu

Ofc there'll be proper build up. I'm thinking that through though. (No promises) I think the chess thing also works since the game is usually portrayed as the ultimate wit battle. So who knows, her being overtaken by the MC academically was a fluke.
Err, so basically the MC is smart enough that he needs a fluke to win academically. Well, I hope there's no fluking the chess battle, maybe a disaster of defeat before winning. Even then, that might not even be the case with what you're writing.

By chance, chess is also what she uses to tell the futures of the people she talk to. She uses it to understand the people she deals with.

Me making up a scenario that could actually work? :blob_aww:
Oh, I thought it had a more symbolic implication or just there to make her look cool. Good luck there!

I'd love to, but I don't know a lot about it.
Oh, don't worry, it's not that hard if you're aiming at the lowest level. This is my lichess account, try adding me so we can play for fun.

Lorelliad

Err, so basically the MC is smart enough that he needs a fluke to win academically. Well, I hope there's no fluking the chess battle, maybe a disaster of defeat before winning. Even then, that might not even be the case with what you're writing.
No, no. What I meant was that the Female Lead thought that the MC winning academically was the fluke. In truth, he's just really smart.

Armorien

Doubt it's going to be useful, but in the majority of top chess games, people usually draw due to the similarity in skill. At the highest level possible, it would just draw everytime. In anime though, of course this is different, as seen in Code Geass where you can just pull of dumb shit like sending your king forward xD, but it's fine, creative liberties and all

Doubt it's going to be useful, but in the majority of top chess games, people usually draw due to the similarity in skill. At the highest level possible, it would just draw everytime.
not really similarity of skill, otherwise you'd be seeing world champs other than magnus. it's that they have a ton of positions memorized, so it's easier (and much safer) for them to force a draw.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice

Can't say I have many tips on that, but since she'll be playing blindfolded, I can tell you that, when you play blindfolded, you usually don't remember the pieces positions, you just remember the movements.

Like, instead of remembering where each piece is, you just remember that a pawn moved to e4, a knight to f3 and stuff like that.

Anything else I could give would just be basic gameplay tips, which would be like... Dominating the center, avoiding trading pieces if it's not favorable to you (as in, neutral trades (for example, using a pawn to kill a pawn, only to have your pawn killed immediately after) usually aren't worth it), positional advantage is more important than getting an advantage on raw number of pieces... Stuff like that. Dunno if it would be very useful for writing, but it's a thing.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Are you writing in First Person or Third?

If you're writing in Third, you're a bit distanced from the action, and so you can, if you really REALLY need, go pull some tournament logs for an exciting and fun-looking chess match played by people of whatever ELO you need (Make sure you know what ELO you're going for - You probably aren't going to have your female lead be a 2700+ for example, but you probably want her to feel stronger than a 1600. Also do some research into what those ELO values mean. I just pulled from wikipedia, but I'm not writing a chess story :D), and appropriate that for the chess game between your MC and your Psychic Girl - Speaking of...

She's a psychic. Now, it sounds like she uses chess games very specifically to divine a person's potential future, but when most people hear psychic they think "mind reader" - If she is a mind reader, she either needs to not use the mind reading feature at all (may be difficult), or the MC has to be so amazingly scary that she can have full access to his mind and STILL lose (in which case HE would probably be about 2400 or so and she would have to be 1800 or some similar difference. Also he'd probably be super chess famous in that case).

You can include dialogue if you want, but if you're going to talk about the chess game directly, best find an actual chess expert to beta your story.

If you're writing in FIRST person, however- this becomes a lot more flipping challenging unless you yourself are horridly good at chess. If you're doing this in First Person, I'd honestly write it from your female lead's POV because that at least lets you use the magic system to cover for you not being amazing at chess yourself. If you don't care about how authentic the chess game itself looks, try getting yourself in the mood by playing someone who's horridly better than you, and recording every emotion you process, every moment of "WTF" - actually do that anyway, that'll help the characterization of it.

I'm interested in how this scene ends up being written :O Is this an ongoing series? and if so, where might I find it?

Edit to add: I'm not sure if I've ever seen a chess game written be strong just by being a chess game. However, you have this cool ability to tie it into, and you have characterisation you can write as a result of said Chess game so go for it!

Last edited:

Lorelliad

Are you writing in First Person or Third?

If you're writing in Third, you're a bit distanced from the action, and so you can, if you really REALLY need, go pull some tournament logs for an exciting and fun-looking chess match played by people of whatever ELO you need (Make sure you know what ELO you're going for - You probably aren't going to have your female lead be a 2700+ for example, but you probably want her to feel stronger than a 1600. Also do some research into what those ELO values mean. I just pulled from wikipedia, but I'm not writing a chess story :D), and appropriate that for the chess game between your MC and your Psychic Girl - Speaking of...

She's a psychic. Now, it sounds like she uses chess games very specifically to divine a person's potential future, but when most people hear psychic they think "mind reader" - If she is a mind reader, she either needs to not use the mind reading feature at all (may be difficult), or the MC has to be so amazingly scary that she can have full access to his mind and STILL lose (in which case HE would probably be about 2400 or so and she would have to be 1800 or some similar difference. Also he'd probably be super chess famous in that case).

You can include dialogue if you want, but if you're going to talk about the chess game directly, best find an actual chess expert to beta your story.

If you're writing in FIRST person, however- this becomes a lot more flipping challenging unless you yourself are horridly good at chess. If you're doing this in First Person, I'd honestly write it from your female lead's POV because that at least lets you use the magic system to cover for you not being amazing at chess yourself. If you don't care about how authentic the chess game itself looks, try getting yourself in the mood by playing someone who's horridly better than you, and recording every emotion you process, every moment of "WTF" - actually do that anyway, that'll help the characterization of it.

I'm interested in how this scene ends up being written :O Is this an ongoing series? and if so, where might I find it?

Edit to add: I'm not sure if I've ever seen a chess game written be strong just by being a chess game. However, you have this cool ability to tie it into, and you have characterisation you can write as a result of said Chess game so go for it!
You're putting a lot of pressure on this little boy now.

Anyway, it's still an idea for now for my story. I've got the link in my signature

Armorien

not really similarity of skill, otherwise you'd be seeing world champs other than magnus. it's that they have a ton of positions memorized, so it's easier (and much safer) for them to force a draw.
My bad, but yeah, that's a much better way to phrase it and pt it.