Chinese names for Chinese inspired novels

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Such as Wuxia and Xianxia. Do you guys (who write such things) prefer to adapt all the names to something more western and fantastics, or do you guys like using pinyin, and why?

Amarathia

I like using pinyin.
Since I'm writing a story with ties into Chinese culture and mythology anyway, it fits the setting and I think that learning how to use other Chinese terms such as nicknames/formal addresses also adds to the story. I also have a personal preference for it because I like using foreign names and learning their meanings. Typically Chinese, Japanese, etc. names have alternative meanings such as 'white flower' 'beautiful snow' yada yada. It's fun for me to look into these even if I don't do detailed research to make sure I am naming every single character correctly.
I know that a bunch these names can be confusing to newer readers since it uses both surname and given name, but it has never discouraged me from using them. If I am writing a story that is not based along Chinese fantasy, then I make up western/fantasy names.

I could certainly read a story set in ancient China, a Wuxia or something, where the main character was name something like 'Joe' or 'Anastasia', but it would be weird at first. I would assume that this person was probably from a different culture before yeet-ing into this Chinese fantasy world.

depressedhobo

I don't think it matters, so use whatever you're most comfortable with.

From the POV of an English speaker who speaks absolutely no Chinese and is used to reading things with Japanese/Korean names, I find the Chinese names hard to read in all honestly (a lot of the time I have no idea how they're meant to be read), so I don't use them. That isn't to say I don't like them; I just find them harder to read since I'm not used to them.

Note: I'm a very lazy writer and reader.

Moshi

To be honest, I'd really like to write a Chinese-esque novel someday. The main reason I don't is because I feel like any of the names I make up are going to sound really stupid to people who actually know about Chinese culture and names.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Xianxia/Wuxia are not really my genres, so I wouldn't ever write one of those, but uhn... If I'm writing a novel for a western audience, I'd rather put names that are easily recognizable to a western audience.

Most chinese names are basically indistinguishable to me, so... I'd never use them.

NagatoSaitou

Try a name generator, I suggest you this one; otherwise, you could also use Yabla, an English-Chinese dictionary so you can create yourself name with a particular meaning, like a flower name for a girl.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
i main Chinese so everytime i check out those WuXia stories i cringe heavily inside seeing the name these guys put out. spoken from my native tongue, it's fucking hilarious seeing some woman named "Lotus" or a butcher literally named "Roasted Pig".

anyway, if you're thinking of a good name, i suggest you go to a Chinese baby names site. not only will it sound more natural to actual native speakers but if you do more research, you can actually find meanings behind the names that'll serve your story to some degree.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
I speak Chinese natively, but I'm writing to an English audience, so.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
well then, why even care at this point? if you're gonna write Pinyin for people who don't even know chinese just cheese it.

Kldran

I do have one request: Don't have Feng Qing meet a Qing Feng. Something like that happened in a novel I read, and I quickly got very confused as to who was who. Especially since there was another person with an F and Q name, that was only different by a few letters.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
There is a korean novel where many unrelated side characters are surnamed Kim.

There is a chinese novel where there are unrelated characters named Feng, differently spelled with different meanings in chinese but confusingly the same Feng in english.

Regardless of language, english or otherwise, the fewer syllables a name has, the easier it is for readers to keep track of.

Who would truly remember something like Kuouzumiaiginsusutakeizumonokamimeichoujin?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I do have one request: Don't have Feng Qing meet a Qing Feng. Something like that happened in a novel I read, and I quickly got very confused as to who was who. Especially since there was another person with an F and Q name, that was only different by a few letters.
Well, in Chinese novels their names are written with different characters, so they're easier to remember...

But I can understand where you're coming from... *pat pat*