choose your own adventure

Sager

okay, I didn't know where to put this so I'll put it here.
I'm making to explain where I'm' going with this.
I'm making a choose your own adventure novel, kind of like those text-only adventure games.
you can put any command in the comments of the most recent chapter, and I do mean anything
*but before you do please check if some else already wrote it and simply upvote them, it makes things easier.
*you can't command any other character other than MC
and we might have pols instead of commands sometimes.
now, this how it's gonna work.

The main character of the story starts as a blank slate he listens to any command and won't question it but as the story progresses the MC will develop a personality depending on which actions he took and will start compromising on certain commands or even outright refuse them, your commands will determine if the MC becomes good or evil or even neutral
also, the MC does have a backstory whether or not we see it depends on your commands
there are 3 ending

• Happy ending: this is made to be very vague on purpose, this can either mean The MC sacrifices themselves for the greater good or the MC basically becoming the GOD of this world or anything in between.
    • Neutral\bad ending: again this is supposed to be vague, this ending can either mean The MC dies or that he just hides in a cave for the rest of time, whether he will be happy or not will depend on you.
    • Universe destruction ending: in this ending The MC does his job and destroys the universe, he will either do it himself if he starts to hate the world, Or he will start the sequence of events that result in its destruction, the second one is fun because you readers probably won't realize it happened intel it's too late.
you will notice there is a timer for the universes distraction on top of every chapter if the timer ends the universe will die, the timer will count down passively but based on your commands it can decrease or increases depending on the MC's hate or love for this world

(UPDATE)
The last thing I want to do is limit the commands or say no to certain commands so I'm adding story flexibility, what does that mean? it means commands can add to the story and expand the lore for example
MC finds a piece of paper.
command: the piece of paper is actually a treasure map, you should follow it.
just like that the piece of paper becomes a lot more important and in return, my job is to explain why this map got here, thanks to story flexibility completely random characters can become important to the plot, now I bet your wondering Sager won't this lead to a complete shit show?? well your probably right, but hey I want to at latest have as much fun as possible before this train crashes, this is a fun first ride NO SEAT BELTS ALLOWED!!!
Battle chapters or are....you guessed it! chapters with battles, instead of commands you type attacks the attacks can be anything example: Attack: punch the guy or Attack: sweep his legs or Attack: distract him with a shiny object.
depending on the attacks and how many we get you ether win or loos the battle so watch out!

Last edited:

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
Neat idea, but it will be hectic later on when you get more readers
still good luck with this project of yours!
be the first to open the path of choose your own adventure stories here~

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
If this is the reader putting command in the comment and you as the author write the story following the command, it's not CYOA. It's just interactive fiction, as in you, the author, make the next chapter following reader interactions.

If you want to make CYOA, you would put the choices as links inside the story itself, where the readers can click to go to the next node. Ai-chan tried to make CYOA myself, but scribblehub's story posts can't process links and my programmed story (in HTML5) was too big for the maximum letter count. It's probably going to be easier to make the CYOA in the forum than on the main site. The main site also can't handle javascript as posts, so that's out of the way as well.

Regardless, all the best. It's too ambitious for me, but if it can work for you, that's great.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
I also wanted to do an interactive novel but I'm dead-afraid of having no readers to comment on my novel.

Sager

I also wanted to do an interactive novel but I'm dead-afraid of having no readers to comment on my novel.
yeah, I kind of have that too, but I'm pushing through.
I advertised mine on the novel updates forum that helped a lot for the first chapter, people just have to know about it.
good luck with your novel, please tell if you ever do it, I'd love to see it

Gledis

I like your idea a lot.

Firstly—an author who can connect with the audience is amazing in many way. For example you can get many ideas from people around the world, on how the story can become more interesting for the viewers to read. It will attract the audience more and more in the future.

Secondly—the characters personalities and minds are unpredictable. Giving us a sense of curiosity about what they may be thinking or desiring to obtain by traveling with the MC.

Thirdly—Good luck. I am cheering for you.

Cinnamon_Pretzel

Awesome! I was wondering if there is a deadline for the commands, as in after an update, you wait 24 hours and choose a command to move the story forward. If so, any other commands outside the given time frame will not be considered? Other questions I have: Do you usually choose the command with most upvotes? What if there's none with the most? I haven't started reading yet, so maybe you've answered these questions in your story. Anyways, good luck and looking forward to see how this progresses! :blob_evil_two::blob_evil::blob_reach:

Sager

Awesome! I was wondering if there is a deadline for the commands, as in after an update, you wait 24 hours and choose a command to move the story forward. If so, any other commands outside the given time frame will not be considered? Other questions I have: Do you usually choose the command with most upvotes? What if there's none with the most? I haven't started reading yet, so maybe you've answered these questions in your story. Anyways, good luck and looking forward to see how this progresses! :blob_evil_two::blob_evil::blob_reach:
The deadline is when I start writing the next chapter most of the time it's in two days or three, sometimes it's more if I'm busy with college, I try to put in as many commands as I can and sometimes I'll get commands mid writing and I'll put them in if they work, I tend to prioritise the commands with most likes because that just means more people want it, but if the command breaks the flow of the chapter then I'll ignore it no matter how many likes it gets.
I hope that answers your questions!