Clarity in Story Reporting Process

Tabula_Rasa

Professional NPC
Currently, when reporting a story it looks like this

And the words "please be as detailed as possible" disappears as soon as a user starts typing.

While pressing "report chapter" rather than "report story" may give the moderation team less material to look thru for the proof of offending material, It still takes time.

And I'd say, majority of people have no concept of what "actionable intelligence" is and might think simply making an accusation is enough.

SO I'd suggest while it would be less aesthetically pleasing it would be better if the instruction or "clarification text" does not disappear as soon as user types and is fixed outside of the text field.

And also, having worked in customer service industries always assume the end-users are idiots and need all the instructions that would leave them no chance to do any guesswork. Since even when you put a big red stop sign saying danger don't touch people will still try to kill themselves. Therefore the maximum amount of instruction will reduce the margin of confusion to only the people that don't / can't read.

And I suggest instead of "Please be as detail as possible"
use
"Please state clearly, which chapter or chapters a problem have occurred, and if its a content issue, please quote specific text, so to expedite the assessment process"

or something like that, maybe the "writers" can workshop a good phrase they'd like. But I feel, clarity will go a long way. And may make mods' life easier.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
:blob_hide: Just write in red bold letters above that the user needs to provide chapter number and a copy of the text passage in question.
Yeah, usually just going in and saying "it bad no no" doesn't help. Moderation in this site heavily depends on a single digit team. I doubt their mod count goes beyond five fingers. Give the chapter number and an excerpt and be VERY BLUNT and SPECIFIC. Beating around the bush doesn't help.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Yeah, usually just going in and saying "it bad no no" doesn't help. Moderation in this site heavily depends on a single digit team. I doubt their mod count goes beyond five fingers. Give the chapter number and an excerpt and be VERY BLUNT and SPECIFIC. Beating around the bush doesn't help.
Complaining on the forum also works. :blob_hide:

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Complaining on the forum also works. :blob_hide:
Sure it does. :heavy sarcasm:

Please, don't give the whining ass kids here anymore excuses to pop another 3-4 threads out talking about their feelings and how someone did a no-no to them and didn't give them the high ratings/scores their glorious, classical works of art so very clearly deserved!!!!

They need no further inspiration to do so. They've already mastered the art.

Assurbanipal_II

Please, don't give the whining ass kids here anymore excuses to pop another 3-4 threads out talking about their feelings and how someone did a no-no to them and didn't give them the high ratings/scores their glorious, classical works of art so very clearly deserved!!!!

:blob_teary: But that is also me, I love to complain. What is life without complaining? Without drama?

Complaining and grumbling is the only tool the poor masses have. Generosity and calmness is for the rich.

Tabula_Rasa

Professional NPC
:blob_teary: But that is also me, I love to complain. What is life without complaining? Without drama?

Complaining and grumbling is the only tool the poor masses have. Generosity and calmness is for the rich.
Ya just gotta broaden your horizons and indulge in so complainception.

complain about people that complain, and when people complain about you complaining about ppl complaining you can complain about them too,and end up complaining about people that complain about people complain about people that are complaining!

Assurbanipal_II

Ya just gotta broaden your horizons and indulge in so complainception.

complain about people that complain, and when people complain about you complaining about ppl complaining you can complain about them too,and end up complaining about people that complain about people complain about people that are complaining!
:blob_hmm: As far as I know, I already have a reputation in this regard.

Aaky

You should put more time into writing, and less time behaving the way you do in the forum. Is not good for your health and is not good for your readers.

I don't understand the tone of this thread. The reporting functionality of this website is not perfect. Unless I am mistaken, Tony is the only person who goes over the reports.

A much bigger improvement on the system would be if Tony could send automatic responses whenever a report/review has been denied. Not sending a response back to the user makes it look like no one is actually reading the report/review.

Assurbanipal_II

You should put more time into writing, and less time behaving the way you do in the forum. Is not good for your health and is not good for your readers.

I don't understand the tone of this thread. The reporting functionality of this website is not perfect. Unless I am mistaken, Tony is the only person who goes over the reports.

A much bigger improvement on the system would be if Tony could send automatic responses whenever a report/review has been denied. Not sending a response back to the user makes it look like no one is actually reading the report/review.
:blob_hmm:Oh my, when Discount sees this.

Tabula_Rasa

Professional NPC
I also don't understand the tone of this thread! The reporting functionality of this website is not perfect. We should never rely on the person reporting for ANYthing.

A much better improvement is as soon as any person, be it a registered member or some rando, reports a novel, that novel needs to be instantly be taken out of circulation until there is time for a mod to read and see if the novel is doing something wrong.

That way, it will only be censoring incorrectly and never not censoring what should be.

And also any specificity in the report is redundant and a waste of the reporter's time, because isn't it enough that a person takes their time to report it, it should all be on the mod's responsibility to moderate.

Now that I think about it. Honestly, most of the community are authors, why would we want to improve a tool that would ensure we get nicked for indiscretions? It's stupidly an act of self-sabotage, It will be way better to make sure the reports are as vague as possible so they can never be actioned, that way we can get away with even more shit, amirite? or Am I right?

Anyway, I totally see where you are coming from! (y)(y)(y)

Aaky

I also don't understand the tone of this thread! The reporting functionality of this website is not perfect. We should never rely on the person reporting for ANYthing.

A much better improvement is as soon as any person, be it a registered member or some rando, reports a novel, that novel needs to be instantly be taken out of circulation until there is time for a mod to read and see if the novel is doing something wrong.

That way, it will only be censoring incorrectly and never not censoring what should be.

And also any specificity in the report is redundant and a waste of the reporter's time, because isn't it enough that a person takes their time to report it, it should all be on the mod's responsibility to moderate.

Now that I think about it. Honestly, most of the community are authors, why would we want to improve a tool that would ensure we get nicked for indiscretions? It's stupidly an act of self-sabotage, It will be way better to make sure the reports are as vague as possible so they can never be actioned, that way we can get away with even more shit, amirite? or Am I right?

You, along with this thread, are coming off as extremely aggressive. It also doesn't help that your account is disposable. Why are you hiding your main account? do you only intend to troll with this new account of yours?

Sounding like a pseudo-intellectual is not going to get you any good-boy points in this forum. It only makes you look like a troll. There is no way for you to know if people are reporting incorrectly or not, since you aren't a mod.

In fact, since none of the people in this thread are mods, what if people don't actually report anything? Unless Tony states otherwise, there is always the possibility that the report function is seldomly used.

Wohendum-Bluu

When Blue Just Isn't Quite Blue Enough
You, along with this thread, are coming off as extremely aggressive. It also doesn't help that your account is disposable. Why are you hiding your main account? do you only intend to troll with this new account of yours?

Sounding like a pseudo-intellectual is not going to get you any good-boy points in this forum. It only makes you look like a troll. There is no way for you to know if people are reporting incorrectly or not, since you aren't a mod.

In fact, since none of the people in this thread are mods, what if people don't actually report anything? Unless Tony states otherwise, there is always the possibility that the report function is seldomly used.
And you are coming off as a self-righteous prick. Back it up kiddo. The playground doesn't always need an alpha.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress

That would just result in people spamming fake reports to get novels they have a personal vendetta against taken down repeatedly.

I also sincerely doubt that Tony has the time to read his way through every novel people take offense to in order to find whatever little part they think creates the issue. Some stories here are hundreds of chapters long.
And if the reader was wrong, you might be searching forever to try and find it.

Forcing people to be more specific is really the only way.

Tabula_Rasa

Professional NPC
???
Woah. Now. easy there tiger. Sorry, there seems to be some sorta misunderstanding here. A tad abrasive yes, but all in all aggressive huh? interesting.

Hm, I am surprised that you have such a low tolerance for someone being flippant being frivolous and being facetious. I will keep that I mind in the future.

See... this part

is the joke.

And this part,
is me agreeing to the point you made, the part that is relevant to this thread. which is...
this part.

I hope that clears any misunderstanding.

Oh
P.S
In fact, since none of the people in this thread are mods
just a point of interest, there is one, all be it a mod on NUF, but they do manage a very similar system.

And a side note
what if people don't actually report anything?
Historical evidence form this forum suggest at least 2 people that did not report with enough details one being @Assurbanipal_II another being the most recent thread by @MaskedCritic

In fact, you are right it is better to ask.

@Tony
Are there lots of novels being reported? If at all?
of those reports what rough percentage/portion of them are providing sufficient details and what percentage of them are not?

Sigh~
@Moonpearl
It was a joke using exaggerated absurdity.
mm.... Fine, I know now that it translated on to a forum post poorly... need more gifs...

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Sigh~
@Moonpearl
It was a joke using exaggerated absurdity.
mm.... Fine, I know now that it translated on to a forum post poorly... need more gifs...
Needs to be delivered in a way that communicates that tone. Some people would say that and mean it, and then accuse us of just wanting to go on doing wrong things instead of accepting any flaw in that plan.

If you want to exaggerate for humour, you'll need to push your language and suggestions beyond what's "normal" here first.

Tabula_Rasa

Professional NPC
If you want to exaggerate for humour, you'll need to push your language and suggestions beyond what's "normal" here first.
Noted

I really thought this part would have been enough.
as soon as any person, be it a registered member or some rando, reports a novel, that novel needs to be instantly be taken out of circulation

Coz it's so absurd.

Ah, well, I will study up and roll the dice again, the next time, I try this type of humour, hahaha

Assurbanipal_II

Noted

Coz it's so absurd.

Ah, well, I will study up and roll the dice again, the next time, I try this type of humour, hahaha
It was quite obvious that it was sarcasm. You need certainly a degree of bad faith to come to the conclusion of "miscommunication", but aside from that, I and Aaky already have bad blood. So his behaviour in this thread doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering he and his companions ganged up on me on the forum

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Noted

Coz it's so absurd.

No really, it was stupidly obvious that it was sarcasm...

Though what surprised me the most was that people called you out for being a clone... I figured most active forum members would know who you are already... >.>