Clichés of sick people

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Hello everyone again

Today I come with a rather simple question. What to do to write the typical chapter where the main character has a simple flu but acted as if he was in intensive care instead of going on with his life with a stuffy nose.

I'm looking for things to fill the chapter with basically. Having someone sleep through the entire chapter doesn't sound very interesting.

What would be the typical clichés that appear in manga or novels?

His girlfriend must come to take care of him, he must be having hallucinations from a past life. An adventure to buy cough syrup?

I'm seriously looking for ideas, anything. I have no idea what to do but I need to connect it to another chapter where he is recovering from the flu to make it work.

As always, thank you all in advance.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 57675

Talk how sad and tired they are. And no one is there. Cries. Headache. Raspy breath or voice. Girlfriend panics and comes over to check on him.

A test that comes back positive and now they are scared and wondering who they shall tell next, before realizing it was a false positive.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Hello everyone again

Today I come with a rather simple question. What to do to write the typical chapter where the main character has a simple flu but acted as if he was in intensive care instead of going on with his life with a stuffy nose.

I'm looking for things to fill the chapter with basically. Having someone sleep through the entire chapter doesn't sound very interesting.

His girlfriend must come to take care of him, he must be having hallucinations from a past life. An adventure to buy cough syrup?

I'm seriously looking for ideas, anything. I have no idea what to do but I need to connect it to another chapter where he is recovering from the flu to make it work.

Be sick and experience it lol. First hand knowledge

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
you could give him a really unsympathetic girlfiend, who dumps a box of aspirin outside his door and goes off to enjoy herself for once without that loser bouncing around in her pockets.
I must be lucky, my man has to be at death's door before he'll admit he's sick.
But yeah, when you have flu, you tend to drift in and out of sleep a lot, get snot everywhere, and ache all over.

Jailbreak571

Former CEO of Kamazon. Active lurker
Do you want an original idea? Then have his girlfriend try to kill him while he's sick.

On a serious note: maybe make the girlfriend have no experience in taking care of sick people. Have her text(if this is modern-day) her friends to see if they could give her some advice on this kind of thing. Maybe also make her learn about what her boyfriend's secret is all about (like learning on what type of girl he liked lol). And when her boyfriend's flu is at its peak (hallucination) then she would supposedly panic and tries to do everything she can. Maybe even call an ambulance in the meantime while he will try to stop her saying it's just the normal flu.

-a random thought from a random reader.

Last edited:

Marunikyu

Most excellent anti-Marxist smut writer
Having any sort of flu is no big deal. These types of virus pose no danger and have mild symptoms, so there's not much to write about it in the first place. Only already dying people and extreme malnutrition could make you die with those viruses. The character should just get weaker and laze around all day. Just post a bigger chapter instead of stuffing it like you'd stuff a chicken full of unhealthy plant matter.

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Talk how sad and tired they are. And no one is there. Cries. Headache. Raspy breath or voice. Girlfriend panics and comes over to check on him.

Okay, that could be one of the points of the chapter.
Be sick and experience it lol. First hand knowledge
Writing about sleeping all day is not fun.
Do you want an original idea? Then have his girlfriend try to kill him while he's sick.

On a serious note: maybe make the girlfriend have no experience in taking care of sick people. Have her text(if this is modern-day) her friends to see if they could give her some advice on this kind of thing. Maybe also make her learn about what her boyfriend's secret is all about (like learning on what type of girl he liked lol). And when her boyfriend's flu is at its peak (hallucination) then she would supposedly panic and tries to do everything she can. Maybe even call an ambulance in the meantime while he will try to stop her saying it's just the normal flu.

-a random thought from a random reader.
Your comment is very useful, thank you very much. Having her not know what to do either sounds like an excellent idea.
Having any sort of flu is no big deal. These types of virus pose no danger and have mild symptoms, so there's not much to write about it in the first place. Only already dying people and extreme malnutrition could make you die with those viruses. The character should just get weaker and laze around all day. Just post a bigger chapter instead of stuffing it like you'd stuff a chicken full of unhealthy plant matter.
It is a filler chapter. One of calm among others of action, something for the readers to relax a little. A chapter to fill the heart with peace and cozy.

Obviously, the disease does not have to be serious, just a momentary, harmless condition. The drama will come later when the story returns to the action scenes.

Thank you all for your answers. They have helped me a lot, although I'm still looking for more points to fill in the chapter.

I was thinking about maybe, since there is a little fairy that helps the main character, making the chapter from her point of view and how she struggles by doing simple tasks to help the main character with his flu. But I need that list of things to do that I don't know about :unsure:,
because I'm also one of those who, unless I'm dying, doesn't stay in bed:sweating_profusely:.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
There was a girl at my school who died of the flu, out of nowhere. Probably doesn't seem as strange now as it did back then, considering the last few years.
Hello everyone again

I feel like this trope is no longer what it used to be. Considering so many people have died of disease lately. Rather than asking authors for tropey ideas, just google people's recent experiences. But you said this was meant to be a fluffy filler chapter right? Maybe don't do it at all, since it might just upset people reading for escapism from real life.

If you're fine with that, then I suggest driving him mad with boredom, or making him stress out over not being able to do the things he wants to do. Eat five hundred cough drops and get a toothache. Drink two gallons of water and the exhausted walk back and forth from the restroom. The trip to the tissue box every two minutes; coughing up a pound of mucus and wondering how much biomass needs to be eaten to make more of that gunk. Trying to sleep and feeling like his bones are going to break from laying on them too long. Maybe dizzyness from the fever causing him to stumble around like a zombie. And get clubbed over the head like a zombie.

D

Deleted member 57675

You know, you can always make someone panic and call an ambulance for something that actually turns out minor. And the person who is sick and recovering now has to recover the amublance fees. Which in turn makes them feel more crappy and shoddy and make them feel more sicker.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Let them contemplate the essence of what it means to be alive, the truth of the world, the universe and everything. Turn even the easiest thing into a philosophical essay about the meaning of life. Let the character go full-on shaking spears. Melodrama turned up to 1080

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Easy, get a boyfriend and watch them devolve into a child when they get sick.