Cliffhangers! Do You Like 'Em Or Hate 'Em?

Do you like them?

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Depends on the execution

Votes: 24 72.7%

• Total voters

Kotohood

Noob Author
I would say depends, but decided to just slap a no.

When I think really hard about it. I never do like them. I get the need for it though. A well executed cliffhanger can make readers come back.

But like, cliffhangers can also be a negative point and turn away readers too.

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
You shouldn't have put depends on execution by itself. You should've had:
yes
no
generally yes if executed well
generally no even if executed well

execution by itself is a cop-out non-answer.
You know, that if very true.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
let's put it this way: you're jerking off and just as the nut is bout' to fly or the squirtle is bout to evolve, a magic rubberband ties over your shaft/ovaryorwhateverthefuckmakeschicksnut, leaving it burning for the rest of the day

the magic rubberband dissolves after a week, leaving that nut/squirtle that couldve felt amazing at first be dampened by a week-long expectation of how godly the nut would be

would you like that you fucking femdom masochists there will be someone who takes this out of satire mark my nuts

Yorth

Swordman
every reader has an M side that they didn't discover yet. I say you need to help them explore these new horizons and be there to guide them through this new journey.

MasterJenkens

Ah yes, who did Negan kill? Find out next year!

No, cliffhangers are a lazy way to get the reader to return. To me, they're like an author writing a cheap twist the reader didn't expect to up the drama of his novel. A quick shock works for a minute but ultimately leaves the reader dissatisfied.

The only thing worse than a cliffhanger is when the author posts the next chapter and doesn't immediately resolve the cliffhanger. Instead, he slowly begins with an alternate POV or a flashback for several chapters; finally resolving the initial cliffhanger at the end of the side story.

I suppose I'm being a bit harsh, but that's mostly because cheap twists and cliffhangers have become an easy go-to for lazy authors to dredge up some forced drama. ('Let's get married after this battle, sweetheart.' Twist! She gets stabbed at the end. Cliffhanger! Did she die?? did he save her??? Next chapter: It all started twenty years ago, when I was but a young boy...it's a long tale, but a necessary one. Me: Did she die or not!? I don't care about backstory!! Nah, screw this book.)

I'm sure it can be done well; it's just been a really long time since I've seen one concluded that left me anything but frustrated. When I say cliffhanger, I don't mean an arc concluding on a note that makes the reader want to read more. What I mean is when the author stops right before the conclusion and leaves everyone hanging.

To be obstinate: I think if you can't engage the reader without resorting to cheap and frustrating narrative devices, then the story is flawed, and I'm saying that as a fan and avid reader, not an author.

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Rather than liking or disliking them, I think they're kind of a necessity in the webnovel format? Like... Chapters are too short, I need to find an ending point every 2000 words... It's pretty hard to do that.

Sometimes the chapter has a nice ending point... Other times I just reached my quota for the chapter and the ending is still kinda far, so I'll end it as soon as the current scene ends... Which is often times in a cliff.

In a completed novel the situation changes though, cliffhangers between one volume and the next can be pretty frustrating as you'll need to wait months (or years) to see how things move, but in a webnovel filled with short chapters, they often times end up being a necessity because I need to end the chapter already.

Ghostblood

Rather than liking or disliking them, I think they're kind of a necessity in the webnovel format? Like... Chapters are too short, I need to find an ending point every 2000 words... It's pretty hard to do that.

Sometimes the chapter has a nice ending point... Other times I just reached my quota for the chapter and the ending is still kinda far, so I'll end it as soon as the current scene ends... Which is often times in a cliff.

In a completed novel the situation changes though, cliffhangers between one volume and the next can be pretty frustrating as you'll need to wait months (or years) to see how things move, but in a webnovel filled with short chapters, they often times end up being a necessity because I need to end the chapter already.

I feel the same way. Sure you can go on and on, but at the same time you got to cut it for that chapter, or there's no end. Cliffhangers are not always on purpose, just end up that way.

LWFlouisa

It's similar to my feelings about decapitated character, it depends on the execution!

Generally I don't care for it.