[Closed - Results Available] The Yuri Garden Writing Competition (2021)

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
0cd138454045780d3905a0f057e3321d--valkyrie-drive-anime-guys.jpg

(Voting is now open! See this post here: https://www.scribblehub.com/read/296662-the-yuri-garden-writing-competition-/chapter/329335/)

It's been a whole year, so it's time again~! Read the competition rules here: https://forum.novelupdates.com/blogs/event-the-yuri-garden-writing-competition-2021.4792/

For those who are new and don't know us, the Yuri Garden is a GL-dedicated fan club from Scribble Hub's sister site, Novel Updates. We celebrated our 4th birthday this year, despite the pandemic, and have been continuing to run yuri writing events right the way through.

This competition is our annual writing competition, where writers compete anonymously to claim victory through skill alone. All you need is a short story from between 1500 and 3000 words and an enticing woman x woman relationship to try your hand~! (Please thoroughly read the rules before attempting to enter, though.)

If you'd just like to follow along as a reader, all entries will be hosted here on our Scribble Hub account: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/296662/the-yuri-garden-writing-competition-/

Last edited:

Wintertime

King of Nothing
Question. Is this a one-shot type, or is this a short-story introduction type competition? The word count is capped at 3k, so does the story have to have a conclusion, or is it a setup for a series?

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Question. Is this a one-shot type, or is this a short-story introduction type competition? The word count is capped at 3k, so does the story have to have a conclusion, or is it a setup for a series?
Your entry should be a oneshot. You can choose to expand it into a longer story after the compeition, if you so choose, but it has to be brand new and stand-alone for the event.

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
what does nuffie money do? Is it something I care about as someone that doesn't use novel updates?

also aww at rule 5, can't write an egg :p ah well, that'd have been too much to stuff into just 3000 words anyways.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
what does nuffie money do? Is it something I care about as someone that doesn't use novel updates?
It can be used to buy things from the shop over on NUF. Generally that means icons for your profile or increasing the like limit, but it can also be used to buy Westeller's (a popular mod's) avatar and title for a day, to be changed to anything the purchaser wishes (within good taste and reason).

Aside from meming and/or smart product placement through that, you can also choose to transfer nuffies to other people, so you can gift them to someone else, if it pleases you.

(You can also find more creative ways to distribute them, like flash events, etc.)

In the situation where a winner doesn't have an NUF account and doesn't want to pick somewhere else for the nuffies to go, the nuffie prizes will shift down so that the next place down gets a bigger prize and/or a nice extra despite not making the top 3 ranking.
(i.e. If first place wants no nuffies, then second place will get the first place nuffies and fourth place will end up with the original third place nuffies.)

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I do have at least 5 that I can publish but considering its Yuri. This is actually quite hard to do since I'm not really an expert when it comes to women, especially female protagonist...

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Damn, kinda interested but I don't have a plot in mind that will fit in a 3k word.
The submission period is open for 2 months, so there's plenty of time to brainstorm~!
I do have at least 5 that I can publish but considering its Yuri. This is actually quite hard to do since I'm not really an expert when it comes to women, especially female protagonist...
Then now is the perfect time to practice~!

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Just a reminder that the Yuri Garden Writing Competition 2021 submission period ends in just over 2 days~!

I unfortunately have IRL commitments to keep me busy for most of Saturday, so I strongly recommend submitting the day before or even earlier if you can.
That way, if you need to edit to meet the rules, you have a greater chance of making them in time.

If you need something to help you keep track, I've made a countdown timer here: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdo...g=End+of+Submission+Period&font=cursive&csz=1

Last edited:

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
Good luck to everyone who entered (and those who will squeeze in at the last minute if there is any)! Personally I enjoyed most of the stories in the collection, so regardless of how it goes down, I'll count this competition as a win :)

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
1 week remaining to cast your vote for the Yuri Garden Writing Competition (2021)~!

Malonymous

Thank you for hosting this! It's funny looking back, around the time this contest started I got the idea for a GL novel I probably never would have written a chapter for. So I'm really glad to have had a reason to turn that idea into a short story instead, and I'm even more glad people enjoyed it.

Thanks everyone who voted, and thank you to all the writers who shared their stories! :blob_party:

Last edited: