Collabortion/Co-Author support

Mayday

Hey, y'all

I think one of the things I find myself wishing this platform had the most was a way to have a work be co-authored, with both authors linked on the main story page, or at least allow for a way for each individual chapter to be attributed to a specific author (In the event an anthology is ever uploaded). The community of writers I'm in occasionally does collaborations, and I'd really appreciate being able to see those function on a system-wide level.

At the very least, a co-authored tag would be nice.

Yorth

Swordman
This is definitely an interesting idea. While Im not really that into coauthoring myself(tried a couple times and it didnt work out too well), I can definitely see the use and usefullness. Hope this suggestion gets many upvotes

deltanz

Vanguard Squad
I really like this idea as one of the stories I'm writing is being collaborated with another person in my writing discord and I'd like to give a shoutout like that somewhere and if possible the only thing I'd add to it would be the ability to add names even if they aren't a part of the SH community for whatever reason for cases where stories are posted on different sites and they might not want to make a profile here for whatever reason, unless that's what the author originally meant but my point still stands.

melchi

What is a custom title?
You can sorta do this in google docs. I'm worried giving full privs to more than one user on a single story could be a whole can of worms in itself though.

ThisEldritchAnomaly

You can sorta do this in google docs. I'm worried giving full privs to more than one user on a single story could be a whole can of worms in itself though.
"privs"? Privileges?

How about this setup:
  • Proofreader: make notes via highlights but can't edit
  • Editor: edit and make notes but no changes will actually occur until the author or a co-author approves it (can be allowed to edit freely via toggle)
  • Co-author: make notes, edit freely, add (and delete?) drafts/chapters, publish/unpublish drafts/chapters
  • Custom: custom access set via toggle by Author
  • Author: there can only be one, full access, can lock drafts/chapters from being edited by other users
Lockdown toggle

Lloyd

Professional Writer
"privs"? Privileges?

How about this setup:
  • Editor: edit and make notes but no changes will actually occur until the author or a co-author approves it (can be allowed to edit freely via toggle)
  • Co-author: make notes, edit freely, add (and delete?) drafts/chapters, publish/unpublish drafts/chapters
  • Custom: custom access set via toggle by Author
  • Author: there can only be one, full access, can lock drafts/chapters from being edited by other users
Lockdown toggle
You necroed a thread that has been dead for 2 years

ThisEldritchAnomaly

I. Am. Aware. @Lloyd

And for this one I don't care.

It was in the top 10 of "Popular". And if the administrators wanted "dead" threads to stay dead the dead threads would be automatically archived.

Last edited:

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I. Am. Aware. @Lloyd

It was in the top 10 of "Popular". And if the administrators wanted "dead" threads to stay dead the dead threads would be automatically archived.
Do not necro threads if the thread has been dead for 3 months. Simply make a new one. An exception to this rule would be the thread cannot be remade for reasons or you have a good reason to necro the thread.
Vague as can be, but the rule exists.

Use GDocs. It already has all those features that would have to be build from ground up for SH, private sharing and live collaboration.

What you put as Co-Author sounds easy enough to include as convenience, but if there's one main author the story belongs to I'd expect they'd want to look over everything anyway and could thus also upload the content, or use a shared account.

ThisEldritchAnomaly

Do not necro threads if the thread has been dead for 3 months. Simply make a new one. An exception to this rule would be the thread cannot be remade for reasons or you have a good reason to necro the thread.
@Zirrboy Where did you find that? 'Cause it's not in the Terms and rules: https://forum.scribblehub.com/help/terms/
And why are three month old threads not automatically archived, then?

(edit: nvm. I found it. https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/forum-rules.5/ Should still be in the Terms and rules, though. Or the Terms and rules should have a link to https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/forum-rules.5/ )

Use GDocs. It already has all those features that would have to be build from ground up for SH, private sharing and live collaboration.

What you put as Co-Author sounds easy enough to include as convenience, but if there's one main author the story belongs to I'd expect they'd want to look over everything anyway and could thus also upload the content, or use a shared account.
Don't have a Gmail account and don't plan on getting one for a while.

Last edited:

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
@Zirrboy Where did you find that? 'Cause it's not in the Terms and rules: https://forum.scribblehub.com/help/terms/

(edit: nvm. I found it. https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/forum-rules.5/ Should still be in the Terms and rules, though. Or the Terms and rules should have a link to https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/forum-rules.5/ )
Probably, but I don't decide that, nor is it likely to be spotted here by @Tony.

Don't have a Gmail account and don't plan on getting one for a while.
I only use gdocs, so I can't recommend good alternatives, but there are some as far as I know, like ClickUp.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Tony is fine with threads being necroed to some extent.

Generally speaking, you should just make a new thread when you want to bring up a topic that was discussed in the past, but there are merits in having some threads that can be brought back whenever one wants, especially when previous discussion on the topic can be relevant.

IIRC, Tony doesn't lock Feature Requests by default. Threads in other subforums may be locked if they're necroed though.

That said, if a feature request got plenty of popularity many months/years ago and has yet to be implemented... Chances are, it's not getting implemented regardless of what anyone adds to the discussion.

You're free to keep on discussing it though. Maybe you can change Tony's mind on it. Just be aware that the chances of it happening are small.
Terms and Rules are not something that is easily visible, and most people don't bat an eye at them. They're a legal requirement that the site must have.

Forum Rules are the part that actually explains what you can and can't do on the forums, and the part that people should actually care about, which is why they're pinned on the "Scribblehub" subforum... Even then, plenty of people don't read those, even if they're super easily visible (I'm not saying you did that though, since you did find them... I'm just saying it's really common for people to not read them).

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I. Am. Aware. @Lloyd

Necroing is just poor etiquette. Have some class.

ThisEldritchAnomaly

Necroing is just poor etiquette. Have some class.
Yes. I got that. I had already been informed by someone with more class than you: https://forum.scribblehub.com/members/thiseldritchanomaly.93858/#profile-post-20158 (by not doing it in-thread, though they chose to speak in metaphor). Now shut up. This thread is already up and walking so there's nothing to be done about it. It's also starting to go off topic, which, as far as I am concerned is much worse than necroing.

Last edited:

Lloyd

Professional Writer