Comedy in written-form.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Ok, so, I've read your stuff. Hate to break it to you, but it's really not funny.
...my "stories" arent funny? I think this is what you meant, the wording was a bit vague. Anyway, that's fine if you think what i write ain't funny, i wont lose any sleep over it. But thousands of other people DO find my shit funny, so all i can say is my humor isn't your cup of tea.
And yes, physical comedy is easy to write. It's just not funny. That's the problem. Physical comedy requires a very detailed sense of timing that is almost impossible to get across in written form.
blatantly untrue. Im thinking either you just haven't read many good comedic works at all, or your sense of humor is the problem. Like i said, not everyone is going to have the same sense of humor. Thats all fine and dandy, but you cant ignore the fact that many people find physical comedy pretty funny whenever it pops up in a story and its written decently. Its not something so difficult to write that its as rare as pink diamonds.

Just hitting someone with something isn't in itself going to be funny. There's other factors that have to be added to make it so. Even then, if its not written very well its going to fall flat. And then you'll get readers who just don't really like that kind of comedy.

But timing? Almost impossible to get across? That just sounds like nonsense. You're gonna have to give me what you think is a bad example of physical comedy in writing, and then an example of what you think is a good one, if you really want me to see what you mean there.

Cuz timing almost never was a factor in most physical comedy scenes I've seen. There's instances where a well-timed comment can increase the hilarity, but off the top of my head? I'm recalling a chapter in Perfect World where the MC hit some dude with a large bone, knocked the guy out good and stole his things, and the guy later woke up with a large bulge on his head in terrible pain and swearing to find the person who ambushed him and beat them up.

The guy was then ambushed several more times, earning several more large knots and slowly going crazy with rage until he was foaming at the mouth.

That all sounds rather plain because I'm having to explain it, but it was pretty damn funny when reading the actual chapter and basically most people agreed it was fucking hilarious. The situation itself and how it was written was funny, but timing? Yeah i don't see how it plays into it in cases like that.

Reminded me of Elmer Fudd and Buggs Bunny's dynamic.
I've been roaring in laughter from webnovels as well. It is almost always from banter, quipping, or some particularly good bizaro or situational comedy.

What particular form of comedy were you roaring in laughter over? Considering your comment, it had better be stand-up or physical comedy. Otherwise, your comment is irrelevant and suggests you didn't really read what I had said and likely just stopped after that one paragraph you quoted.
Huh, i didnt catch this exchange before.
Anyway.

....Uh, those cover four types of comedy. Of course timing is going to be vastly important in stand-up. But that's basically one of the only forms of comedy that doesn't translate as well to the written form. And even then, a lot of standup comedians just tell STORIES. Not just some joke with a set up and punchline.

That aside, this means there's at least FOUR OTHER forms of comedy that, when done by a good author, do quite well in the written form. By your own words, you've also roared in laughter from webnovels and during those times its almost always from one of those fours.

Four. Out of six. And you wanna say that comedy doesn't translate well into writing....

Last edited:

Jemini

Dude, really? Criticizing? All I said was that I disagreed with you, and stated my opinion.
Wow, calm down man.

You disagreed, then you stated why you disagreed. That is more or less the definition of criticism.

Also, we are having a discussion in a writing group. Criticism is considered an expected and even welcome thing here. It is how you help each other improve. In this case, I'm disagreeing with your criticism and stating my case.
You accuse me of not reading your post yet gloss over mine:

And, no, I did not "gloss over" yours. I read your statement in it's entirety, came to the logical conclusion that literally none of it applied to my statement in the OP (which I took as fairly clear evidence you did not read it,) and therefore deemed it irrelevant and thus ignored the points you made.

Four. Out of six. And you wanna say that comedy doesn't translate well into writing....

The forms of comedy that are often used by people who use the "comedy" tag are not funny. Especially here on Scribble Hub. That's been my point from the beginning. Part of the reason is because they keep using forms of comedy that rely heavily on timing. That has also been my point from the beginning, and thus why I pointed out that issue.

I have, in response to the problem I stated in the opening of my little persuasive essay, followed up by providing examples of 4 other forms of comedy that do quite well in the written format, something of an encouragement for writers to use those forms a bit more.

Please do not make me out to be saying something I'm not. I am not saying comedy does not work, I am saying the comedy used by people who label their work with the "comedy" tag does not work. It's just a trend I have noticed around here.

And, you can keep saying physical comedy is funny in written form all you like. It doesn't make it true. I have, indeed, noticed you use it yourself a lot. So, I can see why that might make you defensive about this. But, honestly, it's part of the reason why I said your material is just not funny. It comes off as really cringe when you try to turn some of your scenes into a loony toons skit.

(I will remind you here, you are the one who came in here talking about the fact you were a comedy writer here on Scribble Hub. I started off talking generally and not pointing any fingers. So, that needed to be countered by saying you really are not as much of an authority on this subject as you might think.)

I will re-itterate my statement. Physical comedy is the easiest thing in the world to put into words. That does not make it funny to read at all. If you think otherwise, from the writer's perspective, then you are only fooling yourself. Try taking it from the reader's perspective sometime, because it's not coming off the way you think it is.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Wow, calm down man.

You disagreed, then you stated why you disagreed. That is more or less the definition of criticism.

Also, we are having a discussion in a writing group. Criticism is considered an expected and even welcome thing here. It is how you help each other improve. In this case, I'm disagreeing with your criticism and stating my case.

And, no, I did not "gloss over" yours. I ignored your points, because none of them were relevant. All reading your post did for me was tell be you hadn't read my OP in it's entirety, because if you had then you wouldn't have been saying the things that you were saying.

The forms of comedy that are often used by people who use the "comedy" tag are not funny. Especially here on Scribble Hub. That's been my point from the beginning. Part of the reason is because they keep using forms of comedy that rely heavily on timing. That has also been my point from the beginning, and thus why I pointed out that issue.

I have, in response to the problem I stated in the opening of my little persuasive essay, followed up by providing examples of 4 other forms of comedy that do quite well in the written format, something of an encouragement for writers to use those forms a bit more.

Please do not make me out to be saying something I'm not. I am not saying comedy does not work, I am saying the comedy used by people who label their work with the "comedy" tag does not work. It's just a trend I have noticed around here.

And, you can keep saying physical comedy is funny in written form all you like. It doesn't make it true. I have, indeed, noticed you use it yourself a lot. So, I can see why that might make you defensive about this. But, honestly, it's part of the reason why I said your material is just not funny. It comes off as really cringe when you try to turn some of your scenes into a loony toons skit.

(I will remind you here, you are the one who came in here talking about the fact you were a comedy writer here on Scribble Hub. I started off talking generally and not pointing any fingers. So, that needed to be countered by saying you really are not as much of an authority on this subject as you might think.)

I will re-itterate my statement. Physical comedy is the easiest thing in the world to put into words. That does not make it funny to read at all. If you think otherwise, from the writer's perspective, then you are only fooling yourself. Try taking it from the reader's perspective sometime, because it's not coming off the way you think it is.
look man, i aint never tried to say I'm some authority on comedy. I said that since i do write comedy, i should answer more seriously a thread whose topic is all about that subject.

Now, fine. Authors can use the comedy tag wrong and many of the writers here probably don't write comedy stuff very well. Sure, I'll grant you that. If that's all you meant, then no problem there. Misunderstanding cleared.

As for your comments about my writing, that's your opinion. i ain't gonna get bitchy about it. Instead, I shall leave you with this
Screenshot 2021-10-23 12.12.08 AM.png

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
...my "stories" arent funny? I think this is what you meant, the wording was a bit vague. Anyway, that's fine if you think what i write ain't funny, i wont lose any sleep over it. But thousands of other people DO find my shit funny, so all i can say is my humor isn't your cup of tea.

blatantly untrue. Im thinking either you just haven't read many good comedic works at all, or your sense of humor is the problem. Like i said, not everyone is going to have the same sense of humor. Thats all fine and dandy, but you cant ignore the fact that many people find physical comedy pretty funny whenever it pops up in a story and its written decently. Its not something so difficult to write that its as rare as pink diamonds.

Just hitting someone with something isn't in itself going to be funny. There's other factors that have to be added to make it so. Even then, if its not written very well its going to fall flat. And then you'll get readers who just don't really like that kind of comedy.

But timing? Almost impossible to get across? That just sounds like nonsense. You're gonna have to give me what you think is a bad example of physical comedy in writing, and then an example of what you think is a good one, if you really want me to see what you mean there.

Cuz timing almost never was a factor in most physical comedy scenes I've seen. There's instances where a well-timed comment can increase the hilarity, but off the top of my head? I'm recalling a chapter in Perfect World where the MC hit some dude with a large bone, knocked the guy out good and stole his things, and the guy later woke up with a large bulge on his head in terrible pain and swearing to find the person who ambushed him and beat them up.

The guy was then ambushed several more times, earning several more large knots and slowly going crazy with rage until he was foaming at the mouth.

That all sounds rather plain because I'm having to explain it, but it was pretty damn funny when reading the actual chapter and basically most people agreed it was fucking hilarious. The situation itself and how it was written was funny, but timing? Yeah i don't see how it plays into it in cases like that.

Reminded me of Elmer Fudd and Buggs Bunny's dynamic.

Huh, i didnt catch this exchange before.
Anyway.

....Uh, those cover four types of comedy. Of course timing is going to be vastly important in stand-up. But that's basically one of the only forms of comedy that doesn't translate as well to the written form. And even then, a lot of standup comedians just tell STORIES. Not just some joke with a set up and punchline.

That aside, this means there's at least FOUR OTHER forms of comedy that, when done by a good author, do quite well in the written form. By your own words, you've also roared in laughter from webnovels and during those times its almost always from one of those fours.

Never been a big fan of physical or slapstick comedy. Idk, it always reminds me of Tsundere's bullshit and I despise tsundere and find nothing about them amusing or endearing. Pretty sure I'd be in a jail cell if I ever was forced to interact with a woman like that since I've never believed in letting a woman hit a man without consequences. So if this is your shtick, then I doubt I would find you funny either. But, it could also be that I lack understanding of the type of comedy you write. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm best with sarcastic humor, but dry and dark occasionally get added in as well.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Never been a big fan of physical or slapstick comedy. Idk, it always reminds me of Tsundere's bullshit and I despise tsundere and find nothing about them amusing or endearing. Pretty sure I'd be in a jail cell if I ever was forced to interact with a woman like that since I've never believed in letting a woman hit a man without consequences. So if this is your shtick, then I doubt I would find you funny either. But, it could also be that I lack understanding of the type of comedy you write. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm best with sarcastic humor, but dry and dark occasionally get added in as well.
Meh. I only use that type of humor in like two stories of mine and only cuz the second is an alternate version of the other. I use the whole "banter" thing more in other, more tame stories.

I like exaggerated shit tho, so situations where things just go wild are pretty funny to me. A Will Eternal is a prime example of what kinda comedy I like the most.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Written comedy is like anything else in written form, you go by the rules and PANTY PANCAKES!!!

SuperHeiyan

Wow, what a shitstorm.

There is different types of comedy. There are different tastes in comedy. If somebody doesn't find some joke funny it's doesn't mean it's not funny at all because humor isn't universal and often offensive.

Now, I absolutely disagree about situational humor is not being fit for the book form. It's type of the humor that best fit for the book. Because you are not so limited of time to explain circumstances. You don't even need to explain most of it right before the joke because most is already built. You can even chain jokes, combine funny situations to the point that readers become hysterical without loosing suspension of the desbelive in process.

Dialogues on other side... Funny dialogues good and all, but you are basically either pointing at situation, and large part of banter consist of this, or retelling joke, which is basically writing oral form of communication into written form. Or it's insult. Either way it's second hand experience with the loss of delivery. It can be used to enchant experiense, including lampshading, but it's considerable less funny when you don't hear it by itself.

You are all ignoring the greatest, profoundest, and bestestest source of humor available to the Author: The Pun!
In the Beginning was the Word and the Word was with GOD and the Word was GOD and He did make Light of it, and He saw that it was Good.

But for those who want the best example of a humorous English novel, I reccomend The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.