Commenters Missing the Point?

melchi

What is a custom title?
Anyone ever read a comment and wonder if the commenter is missing the point of your story?

Maybe this is a bit of a vent because my latest work is supposed to be a bit slapstick. But criticizing a main character's intellect in a comedy story seems like weird feedback. IDK, I should prob just try to think of something else.

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
I guess the audience has a short line for patience and think your mc has a hole in the brain

Vnator

Anyone ever read a comment and wonder if the commenter is missing the point of your story?

Maybe this is a bit of a vent because my latest work is supposed to be a bit slapstick. But criticizing a main character's intellect in a comedy story seems like weird feedback. IDK, I should prob just try to think of something else.
Some people are just straight up idiots. I try to make aspects of my story clear, but there will always be someone who misses the point and will complain about it out loud. You have to do what you need to for your target audience, because these people won't be happy even if you bend over backwards for them.

Last edited:

melchi

What is a custom title?
Some people are just straight up idiots. I try to make aspects of my story clear, but there will always be someone who misses the point and will complain about it out loud. You have to do what you need to for your target audience, because these people won't be happy.
I mean, I don't think anyone is an idiot. It is just not every MC has to be a big brain who has every possible contingency covered. Some stories can be like that while others can be their own thing. Is that so bad?

Le_ther

There is several plausible reasons.

1. They are the annoying one who doesn't have IQ enough to understand what's happening

2. They are smart enough however doesn't like the direction of where the story goes(assholes)

3. They aren't patient enough and drops the story.(this guys prefer those op protagonist from the start)

4. They didn't read the tags and was surprised it was different than what they thought so.

D

Deleted member 54065

I mean, I don't think anyone is an idiot. It is just not every MC has to be a big brain who has every possible contingency covered. Some stories can be like that while others can be their own thing. Is that so bad?
While I'd like to believe that no one is an idiot, I guess people have different takes on their own 'suspensions of disbelief'. Your work is a comedy, ffs; why apply logic to it strictly?

Besides, I agree with Vnator and Le_ther. There are a lot of readers out there who rush things, they forget some authors write proper build ups to their stories, or suspend logic to be funny, and they don't need to be so serious/whiny about it. Also, tags are there to tell them (without going through the hardship of reading the work and getting disappointed once it doesn't go their way) what the story is all about.

But then again, I guess these fellas need to chill. The world of literature doesn't revolve around them.

Noldere

I'm absolutely not going to bother going through a couple of dozen chapters of a story with tags I've excluded to figure out if an actual valid point was made, but seeing that you care enough to vent about it, maybe you should?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

just because a story is comedy, doesnt mean a character has to be a fucking idiot. If its a story that relies on them being idiots to get a joke across, ya gotta rethink your approach maybe.

Then again, maybe the very NATURE of the comedy revolves around the characters or MC being idiots. Aho-Girl, for example.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
There will be always some who if not explicitly told what is happening will miss the point. Then go on a rant how stupid you and the story is. Then when you point it out to them, they will:
  • Not respond
  • Say: lol
  • Leave a one star rating
  • Call you names
  • All the above
Some just can’t fathom that there are plot points and reasons that are only slowly revealed/explained. They have to get a full chapter worth of descriptions and explanations about everything. Always.

In today’s world if people do not recieve instant gratification from something they deem it unworthy of their attention/time and start complaining.

Vnator

I definitely agree that some stories can have big brained MCs vs not that. But I call people idiots for, well, being idiots. I've heard of a type of reader who will vocally complain about a fundamental aspect or theme of a story, and won't read the story even if things are changed just for them. These kinds of people are idiots, and whoever is complaining about a purposefully dumb slapstick MC being dumb won't suddenly enjoy the story even if they're specifically catered to with massive changes in the writing.