Looking for Work Commissions by skilled Japanese artist!

• Thread starter Deleted member 94405
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94405

Hello!

I work with 11 amazing Japanese creators and they all do anime/manga style!
If you happen to be looking for illustrations for your novels, please feel free to contanct me!
I also have more sample works available on my website and DeviantArt!

The price listed below are starting price. It does not necessarily mean that the starting price is the actual price of sample illustrations below.

My Website
DeviantArt

You can message me on ScribbleHub or email me at
[email protected]
sample7.png
sample5.png
sample6.png
sample4.png

Last edited by a moderator:

LostLibrarian

I looked at that price and I...
realized that they are very misleading? :blob_hide:
------------------------------------

Outside of that, the biggest question would be what the site does for me as a client. Will you translate my ideas into Japanese for better communication with the artists? Or is the "holding on to the payment" the only upside to paying a fee to your side? Because the same "no revision, no talks, artist decides, just wait and take it"-workflow is the same I can get from the artist via Pixiv. So - speaking really unfairly - what'll your page do beside sending my message to you to them on pixiv?
After all, you take an 8% service fee that can get really big really fast if we talk about professional works...

But I generally agree, that we need better contact points between japanese artists and western creators. It can be a real pain to find great artists both on Pixiv and deviantart, especially for bigger projects, but I'm not really sure who exactly your target audience is with this site. Especially as you post it on a novel site: the commercial option you mention on the landing page didn't seem available for any of the artists and it would also be important to now the bounds of "personal use". Reposting/republishing it as webnovel cover often falls outside of that, even if you don't make any money with it. Not even talking about patreon.

Going by your impressum and activities, this one is an approach from the Japanese side. So I'll just list stuff that would be important for me as a weiter to have implemented before the site would be usable:
- Revisions: Especially with a language barrier in between, no revisions for OCs are a massive risk I wouldn't take in 99% of cases.
- Multiple works at once: Especially with sketches or lower prices illustrations, character designs become more important. So people might need multiple works (or multiple covers) in the same style. Having to buy one, hoping that the artist might or might not draw another one for no visible reasons can lead to situations were expensive artwork becomes "worthless" if a writer wants to avoid switching styles every new volume.
- Commercial usage: as said above, the license is extremely important for a lot of the more advanced writers. Heck, even I consider it "just in case". Having no (obvious) option to filter for a commercial use means I have to click through all interesting artists and be disappointed. Which makes it the pixiv experience with less "other artists to click through".

Don't get me wrong - I like the general idea. Especially because I just went through the whole pain of finding artists for another project. I hated it. Any alternative is welcome. But if you want to sell your stuff to a more western audience, you should also cater to them. And the fact is that the western mindset and also the western workflow is generally completely different from the japanese way.
So if yo want to break through that barrier, there needs to be something more. Whether that is through artists that guarantee to understand a certain level of English or stuff like the one In pointed out above. But as long as you don't offer anything outside the usual "pay for one artwork, pray, and be quiet"-workflow, there'll always be sites who do that stuff better just due to the higher number of artists...

Anyway... just my thoughts.
Good luck with your project!
:blob_cookie:

D

Deleted member 94405

I looked at that price and I...
Please let me know if you have any questions! I'm more than happy to answer them.
realized that they are very misleading? :blob_hide:
------------------------------------

Outside of that, the biggest question would be what the site does for me as a client. Will you translate my ideas into Japanese for better communication with the artists? Or is the "holding on to the payment" the only upside to paying a fee to your side? Because the same "no revision, no talks, artist decides, just wait and take it"-workflow is the same I can get from the artist via Pixiv. So - speaking really unfairly - what'll your page do beside sending my message to you to them on pixiv?
After all, you take an 8% service fee that can get really big really fast if we talk about professional works...

But I generally agree, that we need better contact points between japanese artists and western creators. It can be a real pain to find great artists both on Pixiv and deviantart, especially for bigger projects, but I'm not really sure who exactly your target audience is with this site. Especially as you post it on a novel site: the commercial option you mention on the landing page didn't seem available for any of the artists and it would also be important to now the bounds of "personal use". Reposting/republishing it as webnovel cover often falls outside of that, even if you don't make any money with it. Not even talking about patreon.

Going by your impressum and activities, this one is an approach from the Japanese side. So I'll just list stuff that would be important for me as a weiter to have implemented before the site would be usable:
- Revisions: Especially with a language barrier in between, no revisions for OCs are a massive risk I wouldn't take in 99% of cases.
- Multiple works at once: Especially with sketches or lower prices illustrations, character designs become more important. So people might need multiple works (or multiple covers) in the same style. Having to buy one, hoping that the artist might or might not draw another one for no visible reasons can lead to situations were expensive artwork becomes "worthless" if a writer wants to avoid switching styles every new volume.
- Commercial usage: as said above, the license is extremely important for a lot of the more advanced writers. Heck, even I consider it "just in case". Having no (obvious) option to filter for a commercial use means I have to click through all interesting artists and be disappointed. Which makes it the pixiv experience with less "other artists to click through".

Don't get me wrong - I like the general idea. Especially because I just went through the whole pain of finding artists for another project. I hated it. Any alternative is welcome. But if you want to sell your stuff to a more western audience, you should also cater to them. And the fact is that the western mindset and also the western workflow is generally completely different from the japanese way.
So if yo want to break through that barrier, there needs to be something more. Whether that is through artists that guarantee to understand a certain level of English or stuff like the one In pointed out above. But as long as you don't offer anything outside the usual "pay for one artwork, pray, and be quiet"-workflow, there'll always be sites who do that stuff better just due to the higher number of artists...

Anyway... just my thoughts.
Good luck with your project!
:blob_cookie:
Thank you so much for your comments! They are VERY thoughtful and it really means a lot!
Please let me answer some of your comments!

So this project/service is provided by a Japanese team. And one of the members (me) speak fluent English. So I do my best to communicate with my clients either through email/zoom to really discuss the small details of each order. This is esp. true for commercial use plans which is not currently listed on our website as a plan (the website will update eventually).

As for the upside of our service (basically what the 8% mean for the clients) , is exactly what you say. We secure your payment to make sure all transactions are safe. But another thing we do differently with other similar services like pixiv/skeb is that we clearly list the pricing and the menu. Usually for Skeb, what you will get at the end of your order could sometime surprise you since everything is really up to the creator and their decisions. And again, the 8% fee also covers the translation cost.

Also, while plans for perosnal use does not accept retakes, plans for commercial use comes with one or two retake opportunities. The pricing and number of retakes depends on each creator. For those who are inetersted in commercial use, I recommend emailing us so I can provide exact quote.

We are still exploring our audience, but we've actually had several writers reaching out to us. This is why I decided to post here. But you are completely correct that our website does not appear to look like we could work with commercial use. But trust me, we do! Most of our creators have that option available so if anyone is interested or simply want to know a quote, emailing is the best option at the moment. We hope to enhance our website soon. Some creaotrs also do character designs too, again this is also not listed on the website at the moment.

-------------
Ok, I hope was able to elaborate not all but on most of the things you mentioned. I didn't wanted to make it sound like a big business talk at the beginning but maybe I should have mentioned a bit more. Please let me know if you have any further questions comments :)

I really appreciate everything you just mentioned! And really hope to fill in the gap between Japanese creators and western peers!

JayDirex

Japanese Artist should learn to speak English, like the rest of the world :blob_okay:

D

Deleted member 94405

30 is a great price, i remember paying 90 for one and its was a very simple design
Thanks! Just for a reference, the sample illustration of Hajime (the purple hair girl) was actually $90!
I know 30 is a very reasonable price for such art, but I'm speaking from the perspective of a guy who live in a country that the average monthly salary is 300
Thank you so much for your perspective! It is very valuable.
I understand that depending on where you come from, $30 means a lot. At the same time, we want to empower Japanese creators who do not get enough returns for the amount of time and work they put, so the pricing part is very tricky. We also want to respect our creators. But again, we need to find the balance so thank you so much for your input!

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Thanks! Just for a reference, the sample illustration of Hajime (the purple hair girl) can be obtained for $90!
yeah thats understandable, it a really high quality work even among the others there. But i feel the best out of them is hoshikage. There's just a vibrancy to the color scheme and detail to the BG that the others don't have and for the price, its amazing. That said, the character herself isn't as good as Hajime's IMO but that could simply be a difference in art style and age. The character looks pretty young, while Hajime's is obviously older-looking, so you'd have to draw them differently anyway. I mean there's a pretty big difference between a cute loli and a beautiful young woman.

D

Deleted member 94405

Japanese Artist should learn to speak English, like the rest of the world :blob_okay:

Thanks for your comment! Unfortunately it's very hard for them to learn English and to change this we need to change the Japanese education system, which is something out of our reach...:cry:
Could be fun, but is it worth their time? No. That's too much to ask. Besides not even the rest of the world speaks English everywhere.
Exactly! Though most of us Japanese dream of speaking English...:blob_teary:
I want to, but I'm so tired from my toddler. It all looks great!
Thanks for your comments! Toddlers are so cute but I can imagine it can be very tiring.
yeah thats understandable, it a really high quality work even among the others there. But i feel the best out of them is hoshikage. There's just a vibrancy to the color scheme and detail to the BG that the others don't have and for the price, its amazing. That said, the character herself isn't as good as Hajime's IMO but that could simply be a difference in art style and age. The character looks pretty young, while Hajime's is obviously older-looking, so you'd have to draw them differently anyway. I mean there's a pretty big difference between a cute loli and a beautiful young woman.
Thanks for your comments! Hoshikage used to teach art at schools, so her skills are very high :) She quit her teaching career in order to raise her kids, but she continues draw as a freelance, which I respect. I agree that her BG are amazing too. Like you say, her style is rather loli so I guess it's difference in styles :s_wink: