Community Submitted Glossary

undeadflowerboy

Please explain more into detail....
Okay so basically you know how sometimes you're reading something, and let's say you forget entirely about which character you're looking at. So in that case you'd usually go to Glossary to check, but some authors don't bother adding glossaries to their works so what if there was a way to add things in the glossary yourself.

Like for example, you'd add the character info yourself, and maybe it would send a notif to the author, he would look over it and approve it. and then bam, now you have a glossary entry. Or something like that, I'm not to good at explaining stuff like this sorry.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Okay so basically you know how sometimes you're reading something, and let's say you forget entirely about which character you're looking at. So in that case you'd usually go to Glossary to check, but some authors don't bother adding glossaries to their works so what if there was a way to add things in the glossary yourself.

Like for example, you'd add the character info yourself, and maybe it would send a notif to the author, he would look over it and approve it. and then bam, now you have a glossary entry. Or something like that, I'm not to good at explaining stuff like this sorry.
Oh! Okay! That would be pretty good, and the author approval is a good way to stop trolls. Also, maybe keep the submitters private?

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Sounds great to me! I don't have time to make a glossary, but I wouldn't mind if someone else wanted to do it for me.
Maybe you'd be flooded by notifications if your novel is popular but hey, that is an easy fix.

Just add a feature in the story editing thing that allows you to turn the submitted glossary on or off.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
I understand the idea behind this but wouldn't it be better for each user to have their own personal note for a story instead of changing the writer's glossary? I personally wouldn't like the idea of someone making character bios for my characters not only because there might be certain things I prefer not shown to the masses yet but if I had to correct/approve it that feels like an entirely different layer that I would have to worry about. Even if I turn it off that could have a negative effect on fans of a story I'm writing who might want to support the novel.

But if I'm reading a story I would like a note system that I can pull up and write down....

X = Main character.
Y = Love interest who I personally don't like...
Z = Main villain...

It would be personalized for the user so it wouldn't show up for everyone else. I think that would be a better implementation. Less invasive for the writers in my honest opinion.

These are my suggestions. I don't think the main idea is bad at all but I think it could be shaped differently.

So, a note system for each novel is what I'm saying in the end.

undeadflowerboy

I understand the idea behind this but wouldn't it be better for each user to have their own personal note for a story instead of changing the writer's glossary? I personally wouldn't like the idea of someone making character bios for my characters not only because there might be certain things I prefer not shown to the masses yet but if I had to correct/approve it that feels like an entirely different layer that I would have to worry about. Even if I turn it off that could have a negative effect on fans of a story I'm writing who might want to support the novel.

But if I'm reading a story I would like a note system that I can pull up and write down....

X = Main character.
Y = Love interest who I personally don't like...
Z = Main villain...

It would be personalized for the user so it wouldn't show up for everyone else. I think that would be a better implementation. Less invasive for the writers in my honest opinion.

These are my suggestions. I don't think the main idea is bad at all but I think it could be shaped differently.

So, a note system for each novel is what I'm saying in the end.
Hmm, actually that would make sense. When i was originally thinking about this in i was kind of thinking of an in built wiki to each story, but this is pretty cool too.

Though, I'd like to stick with my original idea combined with everyone else's where it is a user submitted glossary but in addition as to accommodate the need for things that should be kept for later the author would be given the power to 'spoiler tag' things. Because if this was all just single user note system, it would defeat the point of this being community submitted.

I recommended this feature because of my laziness, so something that would require me to actually do something would be very counterintuitive