Completed BL Novel Spotlight Thread

UniUrchin

Hiyo... the LCD forum is kind of dead, so I wanted to try doing something useful with it!! :blob_reach:

This thread is kind of like a Book Club mainly focused on BL Novels that were recently Completed in the past few months.
It's also kind of a party thread so chilling here to celebrate a finished novel is also okay too!

I'll try my best to systematically go through and write a few spotlights here and there, but it would be great if I'm not all alone here! :blob_teary: You can find a list of recently completed BL novels here. Please join in the conversation if you are a reader or a writer for a story that fits these criteria!

((Also I'm sorry if I randomly tag people into this thread... it's not because I'm creepy, I swear! If I find people who look like they've read a completed BL novel, I'll usually try to tag them into the party!)).

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
make a fucken search engine encompassing every known BL title in the universe that'll be fucken cool

UniUrchin

Our first feature of this month:

What would you do if you cultivated in closed doors for eight hundred years only to discover that the world had completely changed? The forest is replaced by buildings and cultivators have integrated into the secular world. But most importantly, the little cutie that would follow you challenging you has given up on his cultivation and gone off to be a celebrity! This is a problem, a missive problem, discipline is necessary.
Short, sweet, icy cold gong X fiery tsundere shou

Genre: Boys Love Drama Fantasy Martial Arts Romance Slice of Life
Tags: Modern Day Rivalry Showbiz Tsundere Unique Cultivation Technique

8 chapters / 15,642 words

Reader tags: @Sye

This was a really cute and short novel that finished on June 14th of this month. It's a very light read, and I finished reading it in a few hours!

The ending is really cute ( kiss scene / adorable confession ! It's really well written!), so it's short and sweet.

@CynicalStrawberry if you're here, would you be up for a forum interview? :blob_hide:

UniUrchin

What would you do if you cultivated in closed doors for eight hundred years only to discover that the world had completely changed? The forest is replaced by buildings and cultivators have integrated into the secular world. But most importantly, the little cutie that would follow you challenging you has given up on his cultivation and gone off to be a celebrity! This is a problem, a missive problem, discipline is necessary.

This was a really cute and short novel that finished on June 14th of this month. It's a very light read, and I finished reading it in a few hours!

The ending is really cute ( kiss scene / adorable confession ! It's really well written!), so it's short and sweet.

@CynicalStrawberry if you're here, would you be up for a forum interview? :blob_hide:
I think one thing that really sat on my mind after finishing this story was what it would be like to to love someone for eight hundred years.

It's a lot of time, and it kind of shocked me that so many characters stayed relatively similar over that period of time. If it were me, I can sort of only imagine developing feelings for someone else or becoming an entirely different person over time. Eight hundred years is a long time... a long time to have unrequited feelings too!

In this sense, I definitely thought it was a little sad when Mo Lan came out of cultivation.

Also, can I dump some quotes from this novel?

“I’m here to discipline you.” Mo Lan proclaims self-righteously.

“What?” Huo Ran’s mouth drops open. “Discipline me?”
:blob_uwu::blob_uwu::blob_uwu:

“Why am I the bottom?” Huo Ran whines in a certain bar.

“Because your cultivation is weaker.” Jiang Ren responds, never one to mince his words.

“Screw you.”

“Anytime.”
:blob_happy::blob_happy::blob_happy:

Anyways, the little teaser snippets aside, I really admired the author's ability to write a colorful romance. I feel like I'm not very good at writing fluffy things, and there are some really good lines in this story, particularly around the confession scene. Must bookmark and research in greater detail in the future!

Last edited:

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men

Oh, that sounds like it'd be fun! Actually, is there some comedy in there? I only glanced over the first chapter just now and it looks like it might but it's not tagged with anything comedy-related :blob_hmm:

UniUrchin

Oh, that sounds like it'd be fun! Actually, is there some comedy in there? I only glanced over the first chapter just now and it looks like it might but it's not tagged with anything comedy-related :blob_hmm:
Yeah! There is a little comedy! It’s really light, but there’s definitely a sense of humor built into some of the chapters and I laughed a few times (especially with the Chinese anthem scene but I felt like it was more powerful for me because I actually know the song).

Actually something that really intrigued me was how well Strawberry balanced the lighthearted aspects with the heavier aspects. The final extra with Bai has a really sad start…. but it balances well with the overall story. Basically it’s such a mystery how it mixes together so well!

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Yeah! There is a little comedy! It’s really light, but there’s definitely a sense of humor built into some of the chapters and I laughed a few times (especially with the Chinese anthem scene but I felt like it was more powerful for me because I actually know the song).

Actually something that really intrigued me was how well Strawberry balanced the lighthearted aspects with the heavier aspects. The final extra with Bai has a really sad start…. but it balances well with the overall story. Basically it’s such a mystery how it mixes together so well!
Yay! I'm up for some comedy. I'll throw it on the list first and then hopefully get to it in the next couple of days ~

UniUrchin

Here's another story that was completed this month:

Love, Again
By @LauraSFox
There is personal, and then, there’s stuff that’s not personal. Boundaries are good to have, and Mason Knight believes he knows the difference well, as he has known for a long time. That, until one weird day, he finds himself moved by music, jumped by a man who could make the heavens sigh with his looks, and … what else? Ah, a ghost suddenly wants to keep him company. Mason doesn’t believe in ghosts, except this guy, well, he seems pretty much real.

Genre: Boys Love Drama Josei Romance Smut Supernatural
Tags: Ghosts

26 chapters / 113,610 words

Reader tags: @Mikah @VectorLone @ShadowEmperor @bencel88

This novel was also completed a few days ago on June 14th! The first chapter is quite long (so I was nervous at first!), but the characters are really colorful and they sucked me into the story. It's actually really hard to describe it. @LauraSFox has a really detailed writing style, and there's a lot of amazing pearls that are hidden in the details, and they really add so much dimension to characters like Rhys and Mason. It becomes really hard to summarize the characters because they're so complicated and vibrant! The pacing is excellent too. Ordinarily, I struggle with stories with long chapters, but I wouldn't want this story to be a single sentence shorter. Nothing feels extraneous or superfluous, and in fact it's jammed packed with interesting (and mysterious!) content!

@LauraSFox if you're here, would you be up for a forum interview? :blob_hide:

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Hm I have none