Connecting (Or not) Stories/Canons

DekuKurohi

What would a combination of ZUN and Nasu be like?
I’m not really asking for any advice or anything of the sort to starts this discussion, just mainly opinion and all that.
I wonder how far author around here goes and connect one of their story to another, and how rules of thier fictional world stay consis between works (or don’t)
Do you all usually connect one story to another? Creating something in already existing setting or do you prefer to create a new canon, a new setting with its own set of arbitrary rules and zero mentioning of the other canon?
I’m a bit curious since I don’t exactly see a lot of works usually being connected to another of the same author. I wonder why that is the case? Any reason why you don’t like writing story into an already existing continuity or canon? Or if you like creating the stories all within the same ‘verse, how far do you usually go connecting them?

Tl;dr: How do you fare creating or not creating works related to the previous one? Why not doing so? Or why do you do if so?

As for me every story exist in the same canon and continuity, and perhaps it’s hard to tell since there’s only a few series so far I created.
Btw the “Shared Universe“ related series option, is it a literal universe or just canon as a whole?

D

Deleted member 29316

Well, I'm currently writing the 2nd arc of my story, 'The Human Saint is Bored'. And so far, the rules are fairly consistent due to planning ahead.

My stories here in ScribbleHub are all separate universes. The Human Saint is still a single arc due to the fact that I'm still updating the first, and writing the second. I don't want to spoil my readers. 😁

TLCsDestiny

I like connecting my stories and I don't think it's that hard.
Not all my stories are connected. I have about 3 different series with at least 2 books connected. My biggest connection involves about 6 books atm.
My very first connection made me really sad lol. Some are fun, some are easier because the world is already created.
As a reader, I also like connected books :)

TheHelpfulFawn

A small animal that helps you with your groceries
It’s fun to have connection to your other works. I’m planning to write multiple at least 4-6 books that would relate with one another with major characters meeting each other eventually.

DekuKurohi

What would a combination of ZUN and Nasu be like?
Glad you all are responding, there’s one more thing I would like to ask.
It’s fun to have connection to your other works. I’m planning to write multiple at least 4-6 books that would relate with one another with major characters meeting each other eventually.
Since having so many stories in a single setting will cause MCs to meet up with each other, how would you write it? Some would be stronger than others, some will have different ideals, some might be weaker than they were before. It’s certainly an interesting thing to do, but I wonder how you would put them into conflict/cooperation with each other.
My characters are all usually powerful, but rarely are they on the same level as each other, so if they’re in conflict having battle be the main focus would be bad for my heart, since one would realistically die and I don’t like my MCs dying, so I would have to write around that by either the conflict not even being that severe or either side not being to enthusiastic about fighting in the first place, their conflicts therefore have to be more philosophical than physical so I won’t write myself into a corner.

ForestDweller

I’m not really asking for any advice or anything of the sort to starts this discussion, just mainly opinion and all that.
I wonder how far author around here goes and connect one of their story to another, and how rules of thier fictional world stay consis between works (or don’t)
Do you all usually connect one story to another? Creating something in already existing setting or do you prefer to create a new canon, a new setting with its own set of arbitrary rules and zero mentioning of the other canon?
I’m a bit curious since I don’t exactly see a lot of works usually being connected to another of the same author. I wonder why that is the case? Any reason why you don’t like writing story into an already existing continuity or canon? Or if you like creating the stories all within the same ‘verse, how far do you usually go connecting them?

Tl;dr: How do you fare creating or not creating works related to the previous one? Why not doing so? Or why do you do if so?

As for me every story exist in the same canon and continuity, and perhaps it’s hard to tell since there’s only a few series so far I created.
Btw the “Shared Universe“ related series option, is it a literal universe or just canon as a whole?

I only got one story so I don't have that problem.

DubstheDuke

I only have 2 total works but I did connect them in a few ways.

1. I ended up giving the mc of my current work a condition that is somewhat resembling of the mc of my first work, but with a significant twist to it.

2. I ended up creating a few characters who were completely different characters but I gave them the same names as a reference to characters in my previous work.

Aside from these things, there is no interuniversity interactions. My first work was one which went incomplete, and so I can't really bring it anywhere.

Last edited:

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
If the books share the same fictional universe, you could subtly hint at the other work through tales or well known exploits of the other book's characters in passing, such as bar talk.

As for your use of "canon", you are the one writing the stories so why wouldn't be canon? That's only an issue when there's multiple authors trying to expand the same fictional universe.

TheHelpfulFawn

A small animal that helps you with your groceries
Glad you all are responding, there’s one more thing I would like to ask.

Since having so many stories in a single setting will cause MCs to meet up with each other, how would you write it? Some would be stronger than others, some will have different ideals, some might be weaker than they were before. It’s certainly an interesting thing to do, but I wonder how you would put them into conflict/cooperation with each other.
My characters are all usually powerful, but rarely are they on the same level as each other, so if they’re in conflict having battle be the main focus would be bad for my heart, since one would realistically die and I don’t like my MCs dying, so I would have to write around that by either the conflict not even being that severe or either side not being to enthusiastic about fighting in the first place, their conflicts therefore have to be more philosophical than physical so I won’t write myself into a corner.

Not to spoil things too much, but the four main groups would all be related or connected to one and another; especially the 4 key characters in the overarching plot. How they would meet would be through the circumstances and world politics that they are all involved in. Two, slightly minor characters, are desperately searching for each other with their respective protectors accompanying them, another two get into a duel amidst a battlefield that ends in a standstill, and eventually the four groups would gather due to the shared fate that these four particular individuals have in regards to the world that they are in.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I prefer fanfiction, so pretty much everything I write is already connected to something else be default.