content short chapter or filler long chapters, which one ?

Mr.Grey-Cat

just as the title. for you as a reader, and as a writer, which do you prefer, and which do you do ?

would you like a chapter with only contents even though it is short, or would you prefer when chapters are longer but have a lot of filler ?

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
I'd say a hybrid but paced properly cause nothing ruins a story more than not having enough content or having too much but I forget nearly everything two minutes later so try putting the fluff with the content but in places that makes sense and not too much that it bores the readers

Mr.Grey-Cat

I'd say a hybrid but paced properly cause nothing ruins a story more than not having enough content or having too much but I forget nearly everything two minutes later so try putting the fluff with the content but in places that makes sense and not too much that it bores the readers
well, yeah. the pace is the most important guide for a story, and that's what I meant in my question,

when the chapter should end at some point, but you lack the word count, would you prefer ending it as it, with a low word count, or would go out of your way and add filler to make up for the word count? which one, that is what I meant.

ElijahRyne

Not that Lazy…
just as the title. for you as a reader, and as a writer, which do you prefer, and which do you do ?

would you like a chapter with only contents even though it is short, or would you prefer when chapters are longer but have a lot of filler ?
As an author I go until I find a logical stoping place short or long, as a reader I don’t care as long as the chapters are more than 1000 words.

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
well, yeah. the pace is the most important guide for a story, and that's what I meant in my question,

when the chapter should end at some point, but you lack the word count, would you prefer ending it as it, with a low word count, or would go out of your way and add filler to make up for the word count? which one, that is what I meant.
Oh I see, I'd end it there or rewrite some parts with a little bit of fluff here and there to build up the word count

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I prefer for there to be content with as little filler as possible. However, there should be some filler every now and then to give your readers a break from all the content you are jamming down their throat. It's all about finding the balance. that said, most of my content needs a small amount of filler to move things along. For example, I spent a good 200 words talking about MILF's just because it would move things along. How did MILF's move things along? I don't know.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It depends on how much I like the characters.

BlackKnightX

Can you define the content and filler? Do you mean it like plot and fluffs?

For me personally, I don’t really care much as long as it’s enjoyable and fun. Short chapter is nice, if it doesn’t leave me unsatisfied. Long chapter is also fine, if it can hold my interest.

Though, if I have to choose one, then I‘ll choose short chapter. But I also don’t mind this short chapter having purely fluffs and no plot.

Whatever is fine, as long as it fun~😆

PhillisCreziles

﹤Once a Potato﹥
I feel like readers will be rushed to oblivion if they only read short chapters filled with content. At the same time, I feel like readers will also be bored to death there's only filler. So I tend to lie in between filler and content with every chapter I write.

Andrew_Udell

I really don't think anything should be filler. As a writer, you have to compete with all the other stories online for people's attention. Droning on about some irrelevant tangent is a great way to lose readers.

With that said, there are very legitimate ways to bolster word count. If you can justify it as world building, lore, character development, or just generally entertaining character interactions or amusing situations, it can make a good addition to story.

Sylverius

Old name: Sylphias
As an author that loves anime and researches for good ass story, I'd rather go for fillers that have development on them or something, not like "Naruto" long. If your chapter's too short, then I'd suggest you insert in a filler so long as it fits and is appropriate.

This is my suggestion only.

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
Short content feels like a fast-paced novel since if there's no filler, the reader won't be able to relax at certain point. Though some readers don't mind that, me personally likes fast-paced novel too, but I don't mind filler now and then. It makes the story more, alive?

Shaizic

I just write, I mean I want to make my story more realistic, that the point about my story it's a bit of a slice of life so adding the life part is kind of just as important as the plot because with out it the plot can't grow. Some may say it's filler while other may say I write to slow. But really everything so far I written, kind of hits to sub plots and build up of trying to make people more realistic. I don't know if it's working at all but it been fun to write. So I I guess it depends what your aiming for.

Also I try to keep my chapter above or at 1k words