Content Warnings

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
How do you feel about all the content warnings authors put on things these days? Like...I've seen 'alcoholism (implied)' as a warning? Do you think it's necessary? Do you think people are more or less likely to read if they're there?
Just wondering if I should put warnings on my chapters, when issues come up. I've let alcoholism slide. But there'll be worse, so should I warn?

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I'm at the point where I hope what I write shocks the reader enough and they give a 1 star rating based on that. When I bring my story back to SH i'm just going to post it without warnings :)

D

Deleted member 57675

How do you feel about all the content warnings authors put on things these days? Like...I've seen 'alcoholism (implied)' as a warning? Do you think it's necessary? Do you think people are more or less likely to read if they're there?
Just wondering if I should put warnings on my chapters, when issues come up. I've let alcoholism slide. But there'll be worse, so should I warn?
Idk, i don't think achololism needs warning. Imo, a content warning should be when its done throughout the story multiple times or is essential to story and may trigger some really heavy stuff. Stuff that's not just referenced or done once in a lighthearted backdrop of the way and then forgotten. Example:

Gore, rape. Really depressive characters and examining down to their depressive pysche. Rather not want to trigger some things in others.

Genre tags so a reader doesn't fall into a sinkhole when the author is purposely trying to pull them into something they don't like like the one mentioned below.
I'm at the point where I hope what I write shocks the reader enough and they give a 1 star rating based on that. When I bring my story back to SH i'm just going to post it without warnings :)

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Depends on what it is. For an example a trigger warning for alcoholism is stupid

LilRora

Mostly formless
It depends. Mostly I just give warnings for sexual content, gore, and strong language, all just in case. If they are minor things that some people might be uncomfortable with, then I'd just skip them. I personally also skip most warnings related to character's behavior, for example drug use, though I'd probably point out if there was child abuse or suicidal tendencies.

But generally I don't see a point in warning people about some controversial behavior when you have a mature story. I'd just warn about the strongest things that are essential to the story and that might put off or straight up disgust many people, like same-sex relationships, mental control/brainwashing, or rape.

On the other hand, if you're writing a lighthearted story, then it would be better to include even the smaller warnings, like death (yes, it's not insignificant, but smaller and more natural), gore, or heavy drug use. Implied alcoholism though is kinda really stupid, unless you're writing a story literally for kids.

As for if it's necessary and if people are more of less likely to read... well, no idea. I'd say it's as necessary as proper tags - might be useful, might get you some negative reviews if you don't include it, might attract some people, but in the end it's only the most crucial of them that really matter. The smaller things can be thrown out and most people won't even notice.

You can check out Reincarnated as the Monster of all Monsters and what warnings it has comparing to the shit you can find inside. Just write 'read at your own discretion' and you've no problems.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
its dumb, these things should be tagged on the synopsis page but nowhere else. Breaks immersion to see "warning this chapter contains xxx"

EnroItzal

Depends on the tone of your story and whether the content will be a negative contrast to the tone. For example, alcoholism or drug use. If you have already established your story as the dark and gritty kind, you can ease off on the warnings as I'm sure many would already expect it. If you're writing a light-hearted story, then you should definitely put some warning ahead.

atgongumerki

Warnings I have seen on chapters include:

1) R18
2) PTSD
3) cliffhangers

the cliffhanger one still gets a chuckle out of me each time I see it

Marunikyu

Most excellent anti-Marxist smut writer
Nah, do it like me. Put the three content warnings and the rape tag and go wild lmao.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
You should put a content warning for everything that can trigger people. So you should spoil every plot twist and every revelation at least one arc before they happen, so nobody gets triggered!

Jokes aside, outside of the normal ones (gore and sex) I hate content warnings. I want to experience said contents, not get told what happens.

EonaTimeWraith

Frankly one warning in the synapse and the first chapter is enough especially if it is going to be dark. Because it has been proven to Increase the likelihood of being triggered by the content.

I got blocked by an author when i pointed it out because I could have worded it better but evidently it is wholly false because it helped them and others like them. Didn't even consider everyone outside of those like themselves. Didn't even attempt to discuss it with me just crapped all over my post and blocked me.

So I say it again a warning is enough in the top of the synapse it covers the whole story it's not necessary largely due to redundancy for every chapter.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Warnings themselves are for people too stupid to read the tags, assuming the author wasn’t too stupid to tag properly.

Iamnotabot

Bot of [PAUL]
Warnings themselves are for people too stupid to read the tags, assuming the author wasn’t too stupid to tag properly.
But like can you tag wrong ? Like if an author tag angel and there's only one scence of said angel apear then it wouldn't be right..... right ? I think the tag is what inportain in the story but someone might think whatever in the story need the tag in.
( Sorry im trying to phrase my word but english is not my first language)