Contest proposal: The Moral of the Story

Would you be interested in another big themed contest next year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mercyque

---------------
Major Update:
The contest will occur starting on late December so people can see the tag required for story entries to be checked by our judges. Prior to the upcoming year.

As for artwork, no need to tag it, just post it in the contest thread once that thread is posted.

----------------

Would you be interested in a contest next year regarding the following choice of themed morals? Also, any complaints on the theme so far?

Prizes: (Currency in USD.)
1st Writer:
150$
2nd Writer: 100$
1st Artist: 150$
2nd Artist: 100$

Bonus: If we wait an additional month to judge the contest prior to the end of next year. We can offer another tier or two! <----
Options for additional tiers or honorable mentions:
Updated additional prizes since people seem to be okay with it are +4 honorable mentions on each type of entry, story and artwork. (Each HM earns 50$)

Moral themes: (Can be edited with your feedback.)
1)
Once I had everything, where now I have nothing.
"I used to rule the world, where now I sweep the streets I used to own."

2) Mourn those that are lost beyond repair.
"Sing me a symphony, one for the lost and in-between. A city of fallen dreams, a city of Angels."

3) What is real to you, may not be real to another.
"You were gonna say, 'My mind is a place where fears are raised.' But, it bends what I see."

Thanks for reading!

Sincerely,

Mercyque

Last edited:

Mercyque

That's a fitting gif. XD Thanks, I honestly thought about waiting and adding a third place tier, if people were interested in that.

Queenfisher

Bird?
But who decides the winner? Popularity rating, jury (you?), or community polling?

Also depending on the requirements, it can also differ ^^. Short story, flash, novella, novel? Could you be more specific?

Mercyque

But who decides the winner? Popularity rating, jury (you?), or community polling?

Also depending on the requirements, it can also differ ^^. Short story, flash, novella, novel? Could you be more specific?
All story lengths are accepted and will be judged equally. But short stories are recommended for ease of entering. As for judging, I'll be doing judging with up to two other people to be decided. The technique and effort shown relative to length will be the way judging occurs.

Reactions: Mar

Mercyque

If we prefer community polls/ratings I'm fine with that as well.

Queenfisher

Bird?
If we prefer community polls/ratings I'm fine with that as well.

Maybe poll people about that first? Last time there was some grumbling about this, so it would be interesting to find out if people think a jury would be better. Check out this topic for reference of what people think of popularity/polling type of contest, maybe? --

Mercyque

Seems people would prefer if there was a dedicated group to reading the stories. Given there is favorite issues and skewing of the numbers. So I'll start another poll, If able. But otherwise we'll stick to a group of dedicated readers for judgements. With myself compiling the results and making sure there are no issues along the way.

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
Both could work if you have the community vote take a percentile as a determining factor for the winner and splitting it with the decision from a close group of judges.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'm interested in contests I can enter my ongoing work in. Wattpad had a lot of those, and that's one thing I miss about Wattpad.

Mercyque

I'm interested in contests I can enter my ongoing work in. Wattpad had a lot of those, and that's one thing I miss about Wattpad.
We're gonna accept works from 2021 onwards to the contest.

The contest will start before 2021 so people can have knowledge in advance of how to label their story for entry, similar to the Metus contest we'll use a label in the tags.

The contest will be judged in the middle to end of next year. As such, there will be lots of time to enter and numerous chances.

If people are willing for it to last longer by a month than normally planned, we can up the prizes to have three placing entries in each category.

Mercyque

Prizes: (Currency in USD.)
1st Writer:
150$
2nd Writer: 100$
1st Artist: 150$
2nd Artist: 100$

Bonus: If we wait an additional month to judge the contest prior to the end of next year. We can offer another tier or two! <----
Options for additional tiers or honorable mentions:
+1 tier: Each 200$.
+2 tiers: Each 100$.
+4 Honorable Mentions: Each 50$.

Is this update of interest to share the wealth out a bit more evenly?

kola

good idea
I like it.
It keep the flame

Mercyque

Forgot to mention, tiers or honorable mentions are in full on each of the story and artwork sides of the contest.

So if we did honorable mentions for example, there'd be 8 of them total.

Last edited:

Mercyque

Announcement: The contest will occur starting on late December so people can see the tag required for story entries to be checked by our judges. Prior to the upcoming year.

As for artwork, no need to tag it, just post it in the contest thread once that thread is posted.

Wishing you all a good time to be had!