Continuing another author's novel.

LazyImmortal

As the title says I want to use a novel(which the author stopped updating for nearly three months) as a basis to write a new novel. Does it cause any trouble in future? Or does it invoke any copyright issues?

tak

I would give up my novel for adoption if i can do that! On a serious note:
  • Ask permission from author. Some author can be protective of their baby
Many has disagreed on second point so I deleted it

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5560

You absolutely need to ask the author for permission first. That is a no-brainer. It's not just a legal or copyright issue, it's just politeness and etiquette. If they give you permission, I'd say go for it, but have their written permission saved on hand for future reference. But you're basically asking a forum for amateur authors and webnovel enthusiasts a sticky, very sticky legal question, and I doubt you're ever gonna get a comprehensive answer.

Arkus86

As the title says I want to use a novel(which the author stopped updating for nearly three months) as a basis to write a new novel. Does it cause any trouble in future? Or does it invoke any copyright issues?
I believe as long as you make it clear it's basically your fanfic continuation, with proper credits, there should be no issue.
Of course it's polite to ask first though.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Change some names and make it your own writing style and you good to go. I'm continuing another dude's work myself....wit permission since luckily I found him at KissManga. Names Luc666. Said he didn't mind. But anyway if you don't have permission it can't be a copy paste situation. Just cite who the original author is. Also is it a remake from scratch or a true continuation from the last chapter?

LazyImmortal

You absolutely need to ask the author for permission first. That is a no-brainer. It's not just a legal or copyright issue, it's just politeness and etiquette. If they give you permission, I'd say go for it, but have their written permission saved on hand for future reference. But you're basically asking a forum for amateur authors and webnovel enthusiasts a sticky, very sticky legal question, and I doubt you're ever gonna get a comprehensive answer.
What if he's awol?

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Yes, if you use another author's story, use the author's characters, names of places, storyline and anything that explicitly identify as that person's work, you are breaking copyright law. Specifically, you are breaking that author's copyright. That's the legal side of things.

If you want to continue someone else's story, ask for written permission. Otherwise, the author, his kin or heir can exercise their copyright to strike you down. This matters little if the author is dead and nobody else will complain in his stead, though. Even if you call your work 'fanfiction', that doesn't protect you at all, merely symbolizing that you are not making money from it.

XianPiete

Bad Fiction Author
I wouldn't do that. I have though imagined endings to books I liked that didn't end the way I liked or that were taking a long time to finish which lead me to a work of my own.

Inorai

For all you know that author is continuing the story off the site or on their own. If you want to write a story using your own characters and plot based off a similar-ish concept, then that's less bad, but if you're directly copying elements from them, you need to get permission. They still own the copyright to their story and characters, even if they haven't written in a while.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

As mentioned, you should ask them for permission, then trap the author in their own novel that you have rewritten >.>

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
If the story is here on SH, check the attributions. some authors will upload their stuff with the tag either saying they reserve Copyrights or they are opening it up to public domain or creative commons. know what each means in specific detail such that you can work around your limitations.

when the story is elsewhere absolutely contact them via email where possible and DM's where otherwise restricted.

On the flipside, you do have the freedom to write your own story using similar premise if they haven't gone too far into their own. you would then rather list their story as an inspirational factor rather than saying yours is a continuance. Of course, expect to still change a variety of details so that you don't infringe upon their work.

JustHANO

This scares me thats this is a question. Just let their work inspire you.

sak-chii

Professional Procrastinator (Writer)
Hmm.. ask the author for permission first. If they allow, why not?

But being an author myself and (one that can procrastinate for years) ask the author what his or her plans are for the novel.

If they are just busy and did not have time to write. Or they are on hiatus for the story and will come back to it. Another possibility is that they dropped the story (which means another person can continue the work if they wants to but ask permission first)

😆 its safer to discuss it with the author before doing anything. And what @DaoFox said, look at the copyrights tag.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
What if he's awol?
This is not reason enough to write a continuation of a story that wasn't originally from your own mind. I get that you feel inspired and motivated but it's not your story. Ask permission. It's what's right and proper. If he doesn't answer, take it as a no and leave it at that. Then, maybe write one loosely inspired by the premise of the other work.

Rellawing

Optimistic Kitten
I wouldn't approve it if it was my work. Hiatus doesn't mean abandoned. XD I'm one of the authors who looks at her works as though they were her baby!

A

aznviet3

Doing the continuation of a work without acknowledgement or approval of the author could put you into a huge fight over it once your work attracts many people to reading it. You would also be facing a major losing battle when that happen. Take the safe path and don't disadvantage yourself.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
As everyone else in the thread said four months ago, yeah.