Writing Prompt CoronaVirus Prompts

TLCsDestiny

Writing Prompt 1: Being the leader of such a virus in the country that it starts in.
Writing Prompt 2: Being someone inside one of the locked down areas of the virus.
Writing Prompt 3: Being on a cruise ship and having to stay on it because there had been someone contaminated with the virus on board.
Writing Prompt 4: Being a scientist, nurse or doctor within the country that the virus is in.

Honestly, it would be a good way to upgrade yourself in writing but also feel what people are feeling in the real world.

Elateam

Fish and Chips Salesperson
Time to get banned from entering China!

###
"Shit!" Zhou kept tapping the floor without any sign of stopping. His suit felt wrinkled. His eyes wandered the vast map of the city of Wuhan on a monitor. There in the central park were the hospitals the central government had set up a few days ago.

Sweat poured down his face.

In the downtown area was the market that he had directed the closure of a few weeks back.

His skin turned pale.

He didn't want to notice it but there it was. The vast array of red dots scattered across the city burned his eyes to tears.

But only one thought came to mind.

"Will I... be sacked..."

No, he couldn't be sacked. He had done what he had to do. If anything, his response to the crisis was better than what had happened 17 years prior with the SARS outbreak.

"There's no way I'll get sacked."

He had taken all the right protocols. He notified the central government late last month that odd cases of pneumonia were springing up. The WHO was notified. The response was excellent. Sure he might have slipped up a few things, but in the end, everything should be fine.

Yet it came at the worst time of the year.

The Year of the Rat.

Like the rats in the early days of the Black Death, Chinese New Year made for an excellent source of transmission for the disease as people went home to meet family.

The trade war wasn't helping either. China was clearly losing economic pace, and the virus was going to make it a lot worse. Forget the 1% GDP lost from SARS, China now was a far richer nation and the beating would be more devastating. The markets showed a clear sign of this. Rather than putting more resources into outbreak prevention, the People's Bank injected 187 billion dollars into the financial sector to keep the economy from corroding more than it had been.

But what could Zhou do? He was already treading a tight rope being a mere low-level Communist Party boss, at the mercy of the central government. He could very easily be a scapegoat at the end of the day.

"No no! Don't think of such things!"

He was merely following orders. Whatever crisis sprung up now was of the central government's doing. There was no way they'd ruin his career. He had big dreams, and a mere virus wouldn't stop him from rising up the echelons of the Communist Party.

"I'm probably safe... right? There's no wa—

The phone rang from the corner of his desk. Zhou stopped his incessant tapping and looked at the number, taking a deep breath and wiping the sweat off his face.

"The Vice Premier's Office."

There was no escaping now. Zhou reached out for the phone. Either it was a lifeline or condemnation, but hopefully not a death sentence.

"This is Mayor Zhou speaking."

glenn-fletcher

Writing Prompt 3: Being on a cruise ship and having to stay on it because there had been someone contaminated with the virus on board.

The Peltzer family weren't the richest people around. Two years they had saved up for this Disney cruise, and of course, something just had to fuck it all up. Despite there being half a dozen different events scheduled for this hour, all four of them were holed up inside their cabin.

Charlie, the teenage son, sat on the bed with his little sister Sarah curled up in his arms. Marian, his mother, wiped hot tears from her cheeks as she tore apart one of the family suitcases looking for something that could be made into a makeshift face mask. And Tony, the Peltzer patriarch, dug through the minifridge, gathering up all the alcohol in his arms.

"You've gotta be fucking kidding." Tony grabbed the last few containers inside before standing up straight and slamming the fridge shut with the side of his foot - together, it'd be a 53 dollar charge, but that was the last thing he was thinking about at the moment. "One Chinese guy decides to eat bat soup and now we're all gonna die."

"Tony, don't say that in front of the kids!" Marian scolded her husband, but didn't make a fuss when he slipped her one of the little Kahlua bottles. She popped it open and began to chug it. "Sarah, cover your eyes please."

"She's seen you drink before, mom." Charlie said. Turning to his son, Tony tossed him one of the beers, which he caught with a quick hand. "Whoa, really?" he asked, looking at the bottle.

"Sure thing, if we're dying who gives a shit?"

Marian snapped at him again, voice cracking with a sob. "Anthony, quit saying that!"

"It's true, Mary!" he yelled back. "It's true!"

While their parents squabbled, Sarah broke her silence and looked up at her brother.

"Is it true?" she asked in a voice that was small, even for her size. "Are we really gonna die?"

"Uhh..." Charlie had popped the cap off of his beer and was sipping it slowly. He had never tried beer before, and he was truthfully pretty disappointed with how it tasted. "Probably not, I mean, it's only three people I think, and they've got them all quarantined."

Suddenly, they all heard violent retching from the next cabin over.

"Okay, well," Charlie scratched his nose. "Maybe they're just seasick."

"I'm gonna ask for a refund." Tony said, pinching the spot between his eyes. He'd already downed half the bottles in his arms. "I'm done, that's it, I'm going up to the cabin and I'm asking for a refund."

"Tony, don't-"

"Mary, I paid two grand for a relaxing week of fun and whimsy with Donald and Mickey and... and whatever the fuck the dog's called!" he jabbed a finger at her. "Not a week of listening to people puke their guts out and die through the thin metal walls of an aquatic coffin!"

With that, he dropped the empty bottles in his arms into the trash, then stormed out through the door, which he shut with a loud slam. A few seconds later and he walked back inside sheepishly, pulling off one of his shoes. Charlie could see the soles were covered with what looked like the world's grossest milkshake.

"Some guy hurled out there." he said, yanking off the other as he hopped on one foot. "Mary, get me my slippers, will you?"

I had a lot of fun writing this but I'm gonna cut it there I think.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
I'm surprised we havent seen a rise in apocalyptic or zombie style novels lately. coronavirus certainly provides a fertile prompt outline for stories like that.

Hell, Shattered Horizon first originated as a prompt i created when there were the ebola outbreaks in africa.