Cortisol

Do you know what cortisol is without looking it up?

• Yes

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
My maternity leave is officially over, and I'm asking for a novel I'm editing.

K5Rakitan

Also, hearing this from the next room while Husband watches Baby is quite distracting.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I don't know what Cortisol is and I didn't look it up. I might be deducing this based around what you say and is something of medical prescription which makes it that your condition is unwell which helps in the reproductive organ that helps in the well-being of a child.

I'll make an edit on this and won't change my answer.

Edit: welp. My answer is somewhere down the lines but it isn't on the reproductive organ at all. Its also useful for someone like me as well but I congratulate myself that I didn't actually look it up on google and deduce my answer based on limited information.

K5Rakitan

I don't know what Cortisol is and I didn't look it up. I might be deducing this based around what you say and is something of medical prescription which makes it that your condition is unwell which helps in the reproductive organ that helps in the well-being of a child.

I'll make an edit on this and won't change my answer.
Cortisol is a steroid hormone that does a lot of things. From what I've seen, it is most commonly known as a stress hormone. In the particular context I'm working with, the MC is waking up.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Cortisol is a steroid hormone that does a lot of things. From what I've seen, it is most commonly known as a stress hormone. In the particular context I'm working with, the MC is waking up.
Yeah, I kinda google it after putting my answer down since I never heard what Cortisol is. I already put an edit on my answer since I was just guessing it based on the knowledge and the deductions based on your response.

If I actually thought deeper about it, I would actually get it right. So I was surprise at how close I was to my answer but just not expecting it to be like that at all.

Jemini

Hehehe... I don't know if I count. :blob_melt: Being a nurse makes it kinda a cheat, but uh, it's in an over the counter med so maybe not.

Oh, you too? Yeah, this is almost exactly what I would have said if I had gotten in here before you.

This said, I have kind of noticed a disproportionate number of nurses and other medical professionals for whatever reason seem to be attracted to the world of fictional writing, so that could be something that taints the numbers a little for this sort of poll.

Another thing of concern is, just how much about Cortisol would one need to know to actually qualify? Having heard the word, and having a vague idea of what it does? Actually knowing it's an adrenal hormone? Knowing the signaling mechanisms behind Cortisol's release, as well as the common target organs and it's effects on the body? There are several layers of knowledge on this one.

(maybe a way to sort out a few of the special cases would be adding a 3rd option that says "I had A&P 3 in college, so of course I know." It covers all the bases, including CNAs who are going for a nursing degree but haven't achieved it yet.)

Last edited:

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
This said, I have kind of noticed a disproportionate number of nurses and other medical professionals for whatever reason seem to be attracted to the world of fictional writing, so that could be something that taints the numbers a little for this sort of poll.
I am a new nurse, so I don't know about people with more experience in the medical field. But in my opinion, that might be because it's a stressful job. And most of us use writing as an escape from issues/stress relievers. Because we see a lot of horrible stuff in the hospitals/homes/ and many other places.

This can be a treatment for a beloved patient that doesn't work, or just staffing issues(this is the culprit for many). Just my theory, for now, will let you know when I finally get my feet dirty in the field. :blob_aww:

I thought it was a fancy parasol from the name, lol
Lol, you just made my day!

joeblow12

I'm curious why you decided, to ask this question. I do know what cortisol is.

Leyligne

Yes, I do, but I really think it should be explained in that work you’re editing. Not in depth, but just like, “medicine“ or “hormone”.

K5Rakitan

Yay~~♡
Welcome back!

Take care. How old is the baby now?
8 months <3
I'm curious why you decided, to ask this question. I do know what cortisol is.
I'll advertise the novel at some point when it's published. I'm going to leave it to the author whether to use cortisol or a more general term, though 😇