Could you be satisfied with a non-conventional relationship?

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
:blob_nom: I really like stories with non-conventional relationships.

What is a non-conventional relationship?
  • Polyamory
  • A couple that lives together but won't get married
  • Friends that like each other but will never admit that they're dating
  • Sexless marriage
  • Friends with benefits
  • Polygamy / Royal Harem
  • Fake marriage / relationship
  • Married couple that never lives together
  • Many more examples

What are your favorite non-conventional relationships?

And are there any that you could tolerate? Are there any that you hate?

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Sounds like it could be a good formula for a teenage romcom.
Some of these are definitely real on the older spectrum (like 20's - 30's). I've met a couple once that is sort of like that... in the sense that they're obviously a couple but they aren't calling themselves that (for whatever reason).

Actually I was looking at a blog post online about odd non-conventional relationships that the Millennial generation has become familiar with:

2. The “we love each other but neither of us will admit it" relationship
You two lovebirds are perfect for each other. You're so similar that any dummy in the universe could tell you’re meant to be.

The problem? You’re so similar that both of you want to play it cool … and neither knows that the other is remotely interested.

3. The relationship that we aren't calling a relationship
You leave Thursdays free (date night, duh), and you honestly can’t remember the last night you fell asleep without being the little spoon.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to conclude that you're in what anyone else would call "a relationship." But you blissfully avoid the inevitable “What are we?” conversation.

4. The friends who hook up sometimes
You guys have been friends forever. You hang out at all the same places, and the two of you can talk about anything … except for the fact that, sometimes, you hook up.

Yes, you read that correctly. Despite your seemingly close friendship, you're so afraid of making things “weird” that you will NEVER address what happens after those tequila shots.

5. The strangers who hook up sometimes
To put it simply, you know nothing about this person. Her number is stored in your phone as “Hot Girl From Mickey’s,” and you haven’t bothered to change it because ... well, you don't know her name.

This lack of familiarity doesn’t stop you two from exchanging drunken texts in hopes of a late-night rendezvous.

In fact, sometimes you're bolder with the “Hot Girl From Mickey’s” than you would be with another romantic interest. You don’t have to be afraid of embarrassing yourself in front of a stranger.

6. The dating-app soulmates who refuse to meet IRL
You swiped right and haven’t looked back since. You guys seem to share the same quirky sense of humor, and this person actually managed to answer your FMK (Fuck, Marry, Kill) quizzes correctly.

Sometimes you find yourself getting (philosophically) deep with this person, filling him or her in on your rough day at work or problems with an ex.

Despite this crazy deep connection, it's unlikely that you'll meet in a coffee shop for fear that he or she won't live up to your now sky-high expectations. (And there's also the chance that he might be a sixty-year-old man catfishing you.)

7. The friends with benefits -- without benefits
While you may be boinking #1 on Friday night, this is the person you’re brunching with on Saturday morning.

This relationship has the benefits of a real relationship -- someone to take care of you when you’re sick, someone to tag to dinner with Mom and Dad -- minus the sex.

You are essentially each other’s significant others ... except for the fact that you have zero interest in making sweet, tender love once the sun goes down.
I'm also in a pretty weird relationship too >.<

Paril

Some of these are definitely real on the older spectrum (like 20's - 30's). I've met a couple once that is sort of like that... in the sense that they're obviously a couple but they aren't calling themselves that (for whatever reason).

Actually I was looking at a blog post online about odd non-conventional relationships that the Millennial generation has become familiar with:

I'm also in a pretty weird relationship too >.<
Eh, that sounds so weird even if it's true. I've had too much fill of japanese novels that some awkward teenagers first comes to mind.

Does a one-sided relationship count? I would like to think they're my girlfriend, but seldom do we actually meet in person.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Eh, that sounds so weird even if it's true. I've had too much fill of japanese novels that some awkward teenagers first comes to mind.

Does a one-sided relationship count? I would like to think they're my girlfriend, but seldom do we actually meet in person.
I think it counts! ...Well maybe. Depends on if you count it. xD

I've been in a weird situation before when I confessed to a guy (friend), and they were like "okay, but I don't feel the same way" -- yet still wanted to be friends, so we were stayed good friends for years even though he was perfectly aware of the fact that I liked him (and I had to figure out how to deal with my feelings). :sweating_profusely: Weirdness abound!

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
i think the only real thing on that list i could be satisfied with is polygamy.
That's an unusual response! I feel like many people say that they hate the idea of polygamy. What are your thoughts on it?

CupcakeNinja

NTR Deity
:blob_nom: I really like stories with non-conventional relationships.

What is a non-conventional relationship?
  • Polyamory
  • Sexless marriage
  • Friends with benefits
  • Polygamy / Royal Harem
  • Many more examples

What are your favorite non-conventional relationships?

And are there any that you could tolerate? Are there any that you hate?
This question depends entirely on if "feelings" are involved.

Daitengu

Before this whole marriage for love thing, it was mainly a business transaction. I heavily doubt I would fall in love, so I'd be game for "unconventional" marriage. Pay me to marry you for x amount of years so you can get citizenship? Sure, why not.

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
Sexless marriage
- I can adopt
Polygamy / Royal Harem
- I still get benefits, so whatever, not like they can divorce me, and if they do, eh I got something out of it.
Married couple that never lives together
- My likely future since the field of work I want to go into will keep me out of my home and out around the country, but I still want a family/ relationship.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
That's an unusual response! I feel like many people say that they hate the idea of polygamy. What are your thoughts on it?
In my view, it's the one where the benefits are most and the cost is least. Then again, i'm a guy so many wives is one of those high dreams (even if it isnt realistic).
The other options either have a smaller gap between cost and benefit while others have the cost outweigh the benefit.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
  • Polyamory
  • Sexless marriage
  • Friends with benefits
  • Polygamy / Royal Harem
Out of those...

Polyamory would be hard for me, but could be doable if my partner really wanted it... We'd need to talk about it.
I can fantasize about it totally fine and it can arouse me, but I can't imagine being fine with it IRL.

The couple that lives together, but won't get married wouldn't work for me. I want a proper family, including the marriage itself.

The friends that like each other, but will never admit is like... Totally mind blowing to me, I can't imagine ever going through that... If I'm in love, I confess~

Sexless marriage is like... Uhn... I dunno, I think my libido is somewhat low... Most of the time.
It goes up by a lot when I'm in a relationship though, and like... I get really lonely if we spend a few weeks without sex... I dunno, I don't think I'd deal with it well.
We'd need to talk about it, but it's not something I'd handle easily.

Friends with benefits is a big no to me. I can fantasize about it and it can arouse me, but I'd never get into it. I'd rather be alone or in a stable relationship instead.

Polygamy is... Not my ideal, but not something I'd be completely against. Would depend on my partner, if they reaaaaally felt it was necessary, we could talk about it and come to an agreement.
It'd be hard for me to deal with it though.

Fake Marriage is like... No. I have no reason to ever get into one, it's like... Just no.

And being a married couple that never lives together is like... No! >.<
I want to live together with my husband! I don't wanna live by myself and take care of my children alone! Why are we even married if you're never home!? >.<
I can understand business trips and stuff, but having a husband that is never home is a no to me.

Those non-conventional relationships aside... I have been in 2 Long Distance Relationships before. They're nice, but they can often feel very lonely. Often times I'd really really want to be near my significant other, but they're like... 12h in timezones away from me.
It's hard to handle them, but they definitely feel much much better than being alone~

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Elegant Flower of Evil
More Unconventional Relationships
  • A couple that won't admit their mutual feelings of affection and instead pretend they hate each other. =O
  • A couple where somebody doesn't admit they are homosexual

Kldran

I suppose I'm actually in a non-conventional relationship. We're not really together, but we are really close, and I did confess at one point. It's more like: There's a bunch of problems that are deal breakers, but if they weren't there, we'd probably be together. So there's some fun pretend play online sometimes when playing together.