Covers~

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
My story's cover came from DeviantArt, and I have already asked the artist if I can use their art or not. But since they didn't reply at all, I figured that I can just use it and then credit them for it. If they ask me to remove it, then I will remove it.
This is why I am terrified of asking. If they don't reply! Though... Be careful!:blob_shock:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
The thing that sets GIMP and Krita aside, other than Krita being more tailored towards artists is the difference in approach. Krita tries to make things more simple and clean for users. While GIMP has mostly been like Frankenstein where you get a ton of controls and not know what anything does.
100% accurate, I agree~

Like, geez, I still can't believe there is a tutorial on GIMP's site teaching you how to make a circle... BECAUSE YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO MAKE A CIRCLE WITHOUT READING THE TUTORIAL! *flips table*

... I remember switching back and forth between paint and GIMP to make a map for a game because it was easier to make geometric forms on Paint... >.>

Nice to know that Krita is actually user-friendly, I'll look it up later~

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
The first cover for my first story ever was something I scribbled and colored sloppily. Later I changed it to a crop of the mini-comic I did for it. It's still in use. I love to do specific covers for each arc, but the crop is still my favorite. :blob_cookie:

My second story has an illustration with more effort as a cover. In fact, I feel like it's more random scribbles than actual story. :blob_teary:

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
The first cover for my first story ever was something I scribbled and colored sloppily. Later I changed it to a crop of the mini-comic I did for it. It's still in use. I love to do specific covers for each arc, but the crop is still my favorite. :blob_cookie:

My second story has an illustration with more effort as a cover. In fact, I feel like it's more random scribbles than actual story. :blob_teary:
Even scribbles are stories! :blob_melt:
I use stock images I find on google, I add a bit of text and presto! Sometimes I am shocked I got readers in the first place.
:blob_aww: There is a reader for everyone! I am still shocked anyone would read my stories too.:blob_melt:

Lord_Drakonus

Connoisseur of Degeneracy
But that's stealing
It's not stealing if I credit them, and I can remove it if they ask me to do it. Besides, I have asked them by DMing them, but they didn't even reply. Plus, other people are also doing this, so it's fine. As long as I don't claim the art as my own, then it's fine.
This is why I am terrified of asking. If they don't reply! Though... Be careful!:blob_shock:
Nah, it's fine. If they ask me to remove it, then I will remove it. It's not like I'm claiming the art as mine, and I have also credited the artist in the form of a disclaimer.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
def not my scribbles
some look like a random AU fanart lmao
:blob_aww: If it's anything like what google showed me, then it can't be bad!
It's not stealing if I credit them, and I can remove it if they ask me to do it. Besides, I have asked them by DMing them, but they didn't even reply. Plus, other people are also doing this, so it's fine. As long as I don't claim the art as my own, then it's fine.

Nah, it's fine. If they ask me to remove it, then I will remove it. It's not like I'm claiming the art as mine, and I have also credited the artist in the form of a disclaimer.
It is my nature to avoid conflict, since my own life is utter chaos!:sweat_smile: But that is good!:blob_blank:

tiaf

:blob_aww: If it's anything like what google showed me, then it can't be bad!
What did google show you? Idk what you googled, but I googled my nick and this came out
1624913063707.png

It is my nature to avoid conflict, since my own life is utter chaos!:sweat_smile: But that is good!
My life too, can't handle a DMCA claim on top of that :blob_no:

D

Deleted member 45782

Sites that license it as free for commercial or personal use (just not images of models where faces are recognizable -that needs permissions first. And no to brand logos). Please do read their policies Thu:

Pixabay - digital art, photos, clip art, etc
Unsplash - photos
Pexels - I think photos. Not to sure bout this one. Check policy.
Creative Common images.

Also, as person what took lots of repetitive photos for some future use like coverz it's great to go back and push me to organize and delete ugly ones and tweak ones good for maybe cover image like.

I think some of us always take photos and since best bet to avoid copyright issues (besides avoiding recognizable faces and brand logos in your images) is to do it yourself. Got lot landscape photos took, not best but it'll do what's needed.

Lloyd

Professional Writer

Taking something without permission is always stealing. Even if they don't respond and even if others do it too. You can try to justify it, but the fact that you are stealing doesn't change.

Mechaphobic

I think covers strongly effect how fast you get readers, I have actually had people tell me I would of done way better if I went without one. I feel like with the flood of users we have been getting that you need something to attract readers. You need either a really catchy name or an impressive cover. Most people will not have time to see your work unless it catches their eye for some reason. Even something really bad can be enough to get them to at least skim the synopsis.

There is so many new authors appearing that they don't really have to dig to find what they are looking for, so you need to stand out now. I actually had an accident involving a table saw when I was in high school, I am not able to use my thumb to hold a pen in my dominant hand. I even have to be really choosy when I select a new mouse. Hence I just use stock images that I can copy and paste over.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I think covers strongly effect how fast you get readers, I have actually had people tell me I would of done way better if I went without one. I feel like with the flood of users we have been getting that you need something to attract readers. You need either a really catchy name or an impressive cover. Most people will not have time to see your work unless it catches their eye for some reason. Even something really bad can be enough to get them to at least skim the synopsis.

There is so many new authors appearing that they don't really have to dig to find what they are looking for, so you need to stand out now. I actually had an accident involving a table saw when I was in high school, I am not able to use my thumb to hold a pen in my dominant hand. I even have to be really choosy when I select a new mouse. Hence I just use stock images that I can copy and paste over.
I think it is unlikely that no cover would be better than whatever cover you chose.

Like... The cover is one of the biggest selling points of a novel. I don't even click on stories without a cover because I just assume the writer is too lazy to try drawing me in properly, so they're probably also too lazy to try making a good story... And I doubt I'm the only one that feels this way.

Granted, stories can be succesful with no cover, I just think their chances are considerably smaller.

Lord_Drakonus

Connoisseur of Degeneracy
Taking something without permission is always stealing. Even if they don't respond and even if others do it too. You can try to justify it, but the fact that you are stealing doesn't change.
But this one isn't without permission though. The author themself is fine with people using their art. I have seen other people using their art, and the author was fine with it because they were credited. Plus, their art that I'm using is actually a game fanart, so it's less big of a deal than using their OC. And me asking them so that I can use it was pretty much just a way for me to notify them that I was using their art.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
But this one isn't without permission though. The author themself is fine with people using their art. I have seen other people using their art, and the author was fine with it because they were credited. Plus, their art that I'm using is actually a game fanart, so it's less big of a deal than using their OC. And me asking them so that I can use it was pretty much just a way for me to notify them that I was using their art.
My story's cover came from DeviantArt, and I have already asked the artist if I can use their art or not. But since they didn't reply at all, I figured that I can just use it and then credit them for it. If they ask me to remove it, then I will remove it.
You literally just said you couldn't get his permission so you stole it.

tiaf

It's not stealing if I credit them, and I can remove it if they ask me to do it.
The way you word it is problematic itself.

It's one thing if they write under their art 'free to use for personal/commercial use'
BUT if there is no written permission and you take their art (even with credit) to advertise your story, then it's copyright infringement. Sure a lot of artists are lax about it, but some are not.

Frankly, no matter how much you credit them, your readers will give a fart about it. The artist gets nothing out of it.

And please, that 'remove on request' is the same as saying 'I use your stuff, but you don't know it. But I'm nice enough to remove it if you're not okay with it. Given you will ever find out.'

Bruh, how the heck are artists supposed to know where their art ends up? It's not them who want their art to be used, but the other way around.

And since when is the silent cold shoulder a yes?
DeviantArt is as good as dead.
My favorite artists already moved away from it. And I only go there once in a bluemoon to look up beginner guides I can link to others.

D

Deleted member 45782

Regardless whether you get caught, for those who recommend or do just rip an image off the internet...

If you don't like someone plagiarizing what you wrote, don't steal or take another artist's artwork. You lose your point to complain bc you did the same thing to another artist and it just shows how much of a hypocrite you are. Period.

You put a lot of effort into it what you write, and I bet that artist you took the art from without permission also put a lot of effort into it their work too.

Tiaf is an artist so they would not like it if someone just took their artwork without asking. If a person did that to you and they're reaping a lot of benefit from it (be it making money off of it, rising popularity while the original person is barely known), how would you feel?

That's why instead of taking image off the internet without asking, there are sites specifically saying their permissions are free for commercial and personal use. Sites like Unsplash, Pixabay and stuff under Creative Commons. The uploader photographer/artist/etc knows those images they upload can used by others when they upload it to those sites. So you don't have go rip something without permission, the policy is there for you to use according to it's policies.

Also, don't think am the only who take many photos and never went back to look at it. You could actually have stuff already at your fingertips without grabbing another person's stuff esp after a few tweaks.