Covers~

Lord_Drakonus

Connoisseur of Degeneracy
You literally just said you couldn't get his permission so you stole it.
Yes, I know. But asking for their permission was just a way for me to notify them. Plus, it's a double-check, in case they're really not fine with me using it. It's not like I asked for permission because I had to, I asked for permission because I wanted to.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Regardless whether you get caught, for those who recommend or do just rip an image off the internet...

If you don't like someone plagiarizing what you wrote, don't steal or take another artist's artwork. You lose your point to complain bc you did the same thing to another artist and it just shows how much of a hypocrite you are. Period.

You put a lot of effort into it what you write, and I bet that artist you took the art from without permission also put a lot of effort into it their work too.

Tiaf is an artist so they would not like it if someone just took their artwork without asking. If a person did that to you and they're reaping a lot of benefit from it (be it making money off of it, rising popularity while the original person is barely known), how would you feel?

That's why instead of taking image off the internet without asking, there are sites specifically saying their permissions are free for commercial and personal use. Sites like Unsplash, Pixabay and stuff under Creative Commons. The uploader photographer/artist/etc knows those images they upload can used by others when they upload it to those sites. So you don't have go rip something without permission, the policy is there for you to use according to it's policies.

Also, don't think am the only who take many photos and never went back to look at it. You could actually have stuff already at your fingertips without grabbing another person's stuff esp after a few tweaks.
For the record, I think most people don't care too much about their story being stolen, because it's kinda expected to happen one way or another. You can't really stop people from pirating your stuff.

So... I dunno, I can't bring myself to care about anyone complaining about free stories available online using pirated art for their covers... I would feel bothered if they tried monetize it with a stolen cover, but I really don't see why I should feel like someone that is writing just for fun shouldn't be allowed to use whatever they want for their cover. It's not like it will make a difference to the artist anyways.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I mean... It is easy to just sit down and make one of your own. Yeah takes a few hours but... At least you care for your story. :blob_melt:

AliceShiki

I mean... It is easy to just sit down and make one of your own. Yeah takes a few hours but... At least you care for your story. :blob_melt:
Oh, I agree that there are plenty of resources that allows one to make their story cover without using copyrighted content... I just don't like it when people try using the argument of "If you dislike having your story stolen and you steal art, then you're a hypocrite", because most people invested in this kind of community are aware that as soon as they post anything online, their work will be stolen by a dozen pirates with bots that scrap the content of the sites they posted in.

I guess I just find it a bit silly for anyone to get angry at seeing their art being stolen... Because like, it will happen regardless of them caring about it or not. It's easier to just accept it and move on.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Oh, I agree that there are plenty of resources that allows one to make their story cover without using copyrighted content... I just don't like it when people try using the argument of "If you dislike having your story stolen and you steal art, then you're a hypocrite", because most people invested in this kind of community are aware that as soon as they post anything online, their work will be stolen by a dozen pirates with bots that scrap the content of the sites they posted in.

I guess I just find it a bit silly for anyone to get angry at seeing their art being stolen... Because like, it will happen regardless of them caring about it or not. It's easier to just accept it and move on.
That is true. :blob_aww:

D

Deleted member 45782

Just bc its easier for anything to be stolen once its posted online doesn't mean it should be a free pass to do so. I've seen this argument so many times. Sometimes the way its said makes it sound almost a 100% totally fine to do so but if that was the case, you wouldn't see writers and artists speaking out against those who plagiarized or took their work from, even if they posted it online. I've seen this across multiple platforms and communities.

Of course many people know once you put it on the internet its likely chance for it to get copied by someone else.

I wrote that comment though, bc like it or not, there is some harsh truth to it. A lot of people wouldn't bat an eye to just taking an image off the internet. But, when it comes to them getting plagiarized or their work being used by someone else, then it changes.

And yes, a lot of people just write for fun on here so they don't really care, and some may even feel happy someone liked their story so much that they copied from it. However, it also effects how some artists are treated for their work and that is sometimes in a negative way, bc they don't get recognized much for their work.

Now this part below is unrelated to whatever I was responding to above, cause I don't mean them, but I know there are others that may do so.

I know there are some who don't really like facing comments about how they're taking someone else's artwork for covers bc technically they did and people who do so don't want to reflect on that; they want to be known for their work and not someone who took and used someone else's work.

There's also all kinds of arguments that spring up in defense of these from this limiting freedom what covers they can choose from to not being talented enough so they need to use prettier cover image to not having enough money for it so just taking it off the internet. Sometimes its like they're more defensive how they do it but it doesn't feel like there's a lot of appreciation given back to the artists they used the images from. It just another image they can use at their convenience. They want someone to appreciate all the hard hours and effort they wrote into the story, but do they really appreciate all the time the artist took to make that image and at least directly ask and say thanks to the artist? At the very least, if you're not on a site where images are free for those purposes, at least ask the creator of that image before using them.

I don't really care much for stories who have original cover or not cause I don't know who is the original artist is anyways. And in a way that sucks for the artist, bc I don't really recognize them, its like they're invisible but hey, their image is there. Covers are nice, but if that is the only thing I find good about the story, then the story to me is a surface level. However, I don't like comments that encourage people to just lift images off the internet. At the very least, ask the artist for permission and credit them if you're going to use their images as one of your covers. If you don't, and something similar happens where your work is also used by someone else then...well idk.

AliceShiki

Just bc its easier for anything to be stolen once its posted online doesn't mean it should be a free pass to do so. I've seen this argument so many times. Sometimes the way its said makes it sound almost a 100% totally fine to do so but if that was the case, you wouldn't see writers and artists speaking out against those who plagiarized or took their work from, even if they posted it online. I've seen this across multiple platforms and communities.

Of course many people know once you put it on the internet its likely chance for it to get copied by someone else.

I wrote that comment though, bc like it or not, there is some harsh truth to it. A lot of people wouldn't bat an eye to just taking an image off the internet. But, when it comes to them getting plagiarized or their work being used by someone else, then it changes.

And yes, a lot of people just write for fun on here so they don't really care, and some may even feel happy someone liked their story so much that they copied from it. However, it also effects how some artists are treated for their work and that is sometimes in a negative way, bc they don't get recognized much for their work.

Now this part below is unrelated to whatever I was responding to above, cause I don't mean them, but I know there are others that may do so.

I know there are some who don't really like facing comments about how they're taking someone else's artwork for covers bc technically they did and people who do so don't want to reflect on that; they want to be known for their work and not someone who took and used someone else's work.

There's also all kinds of arguments that spring up in defense of these from this limiting freedom what covers they can choose from to not being talented enough so they need to use prettier cover image to not having enough money for it so just taking it off the internet. Sometimes its like they're more defensive how they do it but it doesn't feel like there's a lot of appreciation given back to the artists they used the images from. It just another image they can use at their convenience. They want someone to appreciate all the hard hours and effort they wrote into the story, but do they really appreciate all the time the artist took to make that image and at least directly ask and say thanks to the artist? At the very least, if you're not on a site where images are free for those purposes, at least ask the creator of that image before using them.

I don't really care much for stories who have original cover or not cause I don't know who is the original artist is anyways. And in a way that sucks for the artist, bc I don't really recognize them, its like they're invisible but hey, their image is there. Covers are nice, but if that is the only thing I find good about the story, then the story to me is a surface level. However, I don't like comments that encourage people to just lift images off the internet. At the very least, ask the artist for permission and credit them if you're going to use their images as one of your covers. If you don't, and something similar happens where your work is also used by someone else then...well idk.
I mean, you also see plenty of authors and/or translators complaining about their content being stolen... I find all comments like these to be silly, because like... Really, it is going to be stolen, that's just normal.

That said, I'm not trying to encourage people to steal art from others to make their covers for hobby stories... I'm just saying that IMO they can do it, because... Well, it's just a hobby story and they don't really need to put effort in those things IMO.

I mean, technically speaking even fanfics are copyright infringement... And well, I don't see any point in original authors to complain about people making fanfics based on their own stories (though well, some authors do file DMCAs and stuff against fanfics). I think of stealing art as basically the same thing as making a fanfic... It's technically wrong and it's technically a copyright infringement, but I don't see why it matters.

... For as long as the work is not made for profit that is. Trying to get benefits from someone else's hardwork is no good IMO, but just trying to make a hobby story with a stolen cover is not an issue to me~

... Ah, and we could even go a step further and say that using someone else's art for your RP characters or for your forum avatars is technically copyright infringement too, but again... I just don't see why it would matter or why anyone should care.
Oh, and fantranslations are copyright infringement too for the record... >.>

I don't really want to encourage people to use stolen images for their stories, I do think they should try using copyright-free stuff instead if they can't make their own covers, just... I don't like seeing people defending art as if it was a sacred thing that could not be touched either. It's a thingy in the internet, and it can be pirated just like any other... It just so happens that there are some free alternatives available that don't involve infringing into anyone's copyright, so they should be preferred, but I don't see why non-profit hobby works can't just use stolen stuff if they're too lazy to create their own cover and/or search for something nice amongst the myriad of copyright-free stuff... Which let's face it, isn't usually good cover material for anyone wanting an anime-style cover (well, Waifulabs exists now at least though~).

D

Deleted member 45782

I mean, you also see plenty of authors and/or translators complaining about their content being stolen... I find all comments like these to be silly, because like... Really, it is going to be stolen, that's just normal.

That said, I'm not trying to encourage people to steal art from others to make their covers for hobby stories... I'm just saying that IMO they can do it, because... Well, it's just a hobby story and they don't really need to put effort in those things IMO.

I mean, technically speaking even fanfics are copyright infringement... And well, I don't see any point in original authors to complain about people making fanfics based on their own stories (though well, some authors do file DMCAs and stuff against fanfics). I think of stealing art as basically the same thing as making a fanfic... It's technically wrong and it's technically a copyright infringement, but I don't see why it matters.

... For as long as the work is not made for profit that is. Trying to get benefits from someone else's hardwork is no good IMO, but just trying to make a hobby story with a stolen cover is not an issue to me~

... Ah, and we could even go a step further and say that using someone else's art for your RP characters or for your forum avatars is technically copyright infringement too, but again... I just don't see why it would matter or why anyone should care.
Oh, and fantranslations are copyright infringement too for the record... >.>

I don't really want to encourage people to use stolen images for their stories, I do think they should try using copyright-free stuff instead if they can't make their own covers, just... I don't like seeing people defending art as if it was a sacred thing that could not be touched either. It's a thingy in the internet, and it can be pirated just like any other... It just so happens that there are some free alternatives available that don't involve infringing into anyone's copyright, so they should be preferred, but I don't see why non-profit hobby works can't just use stolen stuff if they're too lazy to create their own cover and/or search for something nice amongst the myriad of copyright-free stuff... Which let's face it, isn't usually good cover material for anyone wanting an anime-style cover (well, Waifulabs exists now at least though~).
I don't think of art as holier-than-thou though. There are times where I get frustrated as well because there's not much of a good selection to choose from, the ones with alternative images. That said, I do get tired of seeing a lot of comments sounding like they're defending it and even supporting to just lift images off the internet. It may not be you, but I see quite a bit of these comments from time to time. A lot of times its more of I-don't-see-what's-wrong-with-it kind of comments and it in a way gives a nod that its okay for others to do it bc hey, everyone does it. To those that do stuff like this, hobby or not, all I'm saying is that its a bit ironic if you're fine with lifting others' stuff and defend that kind of action, then cry a river when someone does it to you. Its still shit and its still ain't right regardless whose work gets lifted, but its ironic and a bit of karmic cycle.

Perhaps I see more from the artist side of things than a person consuming/using content more. I've seen readers just lashing out against authors who tried Wattpad's program to monetize their work in trying to find a way to fund their writing hobby which takes up a good chunk of time they could use to better support themselves. The program had serious flaws, but man did those authors get a lot of flak from that (cussing, threatening, telling them to maybe just stop writing if you're gonna monetize it in a sense, etc.). That really opened me up to seeing how a lot of people care more about the content than the creator of that content itself. And you can see how sometimes that also bleeds into here as well, with how some writers feel burned by what readers expect from them.

Then there are things like where people defend that its the internet so if you don't want it to get shared/copied/stolen then don't post it (even if its true, people often do use this to defend their shitty actions a lot. And that's why I 'dislike' these kind of comments too. Case in point, artists who say do not repost their work, and then people just share it, sometimes not even crediting the artist until people try to dig up more information. And when people mentioned how the artist didn't want to be reposted, then the person who repost or took that artist work will say its the internet so if they didn't want to, they shouldn't have. When they say things like that, its disrespectful bc its only pretty for you to share, but the instant someone comments about it, you throw the artist who worked to draw on that under the bus. I've also seen some accounts got more followers than the original artist, and sometimes its hard to distinguish because you really want to find who was the original author, not the reposter. but you stick on bc maybe the reposter will say who the author is in the comments, but by doing so you give that reposter attention and perhaps even a follow for something that is not theirs. In the end it doesn't really help the artist, but the reposter). Partly why I sorta don't like how people use 'nothing is original anymore' sometimes.

What they say may have a point (its the internet so people are going to copy anyway, nothing is original anymore, etc.), but how they go about using it as an excuse to defend the things they do and how so many do this sometimes makes me turn the other way. And that is why I strongly disagree. I've seen too many use it as some poor excuse to thinly veil the stuff they do..

I am not outright completely avoiding these kinds of people bc there's so many its hard to even tell, but if they do come up and get found out and it all goes back to this topic and the way they continue to defend their actions, I don't feel much supporting them either.

All I'm saying is respect another artist work as a fellow artist (writer, drawer, etc.). No one's work is sacred like holier than thu, but ask before use.

Last edited by a moderator:

AliceShiki

I don't think of art as holier-than-thou though. There are times where I get frustrated as well because there's not much of a good selection to choose from, the ones with alternative images. That said, I do get tired of seeing a lot of comments sounding like they're defending it and even supporting to just lift images off the internet. It may not be you, but I see quite a bit of these comments from time to time. A lot of times its more of I-don't-see-what's-wrong-with-it kind of comments and it in a way gives a nod that its okay for others to do it bc hey, everyone does it. To those that do stuff like this, hobby or not, all I'm saying is that its a bit ironic if you're fine with lifting others' stuff and defend that kind of action, then cry a river when someone does it to you. Its still shit and its still ain't right regardless whose work gets lifted, but its ironic and a bit of karmic cycle.

Perhaps I see more from the artist side of things than a person consuming/using content more. I've seen readers just lashing out against authors who tried Wattpad's program to monetize their work in trying to find a way to fund their writing hobby which takes up a good chunk of time they could use to better support themselves. The program had serious flaws, but man did those authors get a lot of flak from that (cussing, threatening, telling them to maybe just stop writing if you're gonna monetize it in a sense, etc.). That really opened me up to seeing how a lot of people care more about the content than the creator of that content itself. And you can see how sometimes that also bleeds into here as well, with how some writers feel burned by what readers expect from them.

Then there are things like where people defend that its the internet so if you don't want it to get shared/copied/stolen then don't post it (even if its true, people often do use this to defend their shitty actions a lot. And that's why I 'dislike' these kind of comments too. Case in point, artists who say do not repost their work, and then people just share it, sometimes not even crediting the artist until people try to dig up more information. And when people mentioned how the artist didn't want to be reposted, then the person who repost or took that artist work will say its the internet so if they didn't want to, they shouldn't have. When they say things like that, its disrespectful bc its only pretty for you to share, but the instant someone comments about it, you throw the artist who worked to draw on that under the bus. I've also seen some accounts got more followers than the original artist, and sometimes its hard to distinguish because you really want to find who was the original author, not the reposter. but you stick on bc maybe the reposter will say who the author is in the comments, but by doing so you give that reposter attention and perhaps even a follow for something that is not theirs. In the end it doesn't really help the artist, but the reposter). Partly why I sorta don't like how people use 'nothing is original anymore' sometimes.

What they say may have a point (its the internet so people are going to copy anyway, nothing is original anymore, etc.), but how they go about using it as an excuse to defend the things they do and how so many do this sometimes makes me turn the other way. And that is why I strongly disagree. I've seen too many use it as some poor excuse to thinly veil the stuff they do..

I am not outright completely avoiding these kinds of people bc there's so many its hard to even tell, but if they do come up and get found out and it all goes back to this topic and the way they continue to defend their actions, I don't feel much supporting them either.

All I'm saying is respect another artist work as a fellow artist (writer, drawer, etc.). No one's work is sacred like holier than thu, but ask before use.
Mmmmmmm, yeah, that makes sense... And well, the people that complain about someone trying to monetize their work are just crazy, geez... >.>

Like, it takes time to write/draw/translate, it's a given that many would try to earn money from it, geez...