Creating a Visual Novel!

HappyVainGlory

I applaud your patience in both writing out a VN script as well as pulling together all the assets necessary to make one. All I have to say in regards to this are two things:
  1. Character expressions are a pain to set up
  2. Flowcharts are your best friends if you're making branching paths

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
I applaud your patience in both writing out a VN script as well as pulling together all the assets necessary to make one. All I have to say in regards to this are two things:
  1. Character expressions are a pain to set up
  2. Flowcharts are your best friends if you're making branching paths
I had reserved many options, although, at the very least—opted to work through the script first before anything else. Limiting expressions also meant that I had to limit how I work my story, so in any case, I had to fully prepare them. In the sense where the "if-scenario" existed, then by means, it would be a pain to set them up.

Branching paths was inevitable for a VN, despite, some others using choices as decorations. Necessary for the development of the story, I, too, agree that flowcharts are my best friends.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
I definitely don't have much to say at this point. I am getting back at the track I wasted. Kinda will update any info on this thread about my progress on creating a visual novel. Gonna make it slow and steady, plain and normal. I was thinking of doing it back to Unity, but then I decided to head over Ren'Py. For the most part, I am learning what I've forgotten again—mostly basic programming. Once I am done with that step, I am gonna head over to Unity to try out different things or not. The bad news is that I can only program, write the script, and change the options and UI's. My skills in illustrating are almost as F-tier so I will pay illustrators whenever I am done with my training. Hope me well and good luck lol.

Edit (16/12/2021):
As supposed of today, I was going to take the holidays. But scratch that, holidays are for the weary. So to report my progress, I finished the Python(4h+) tutorial for basic programming—however, I've forgotten a little of it (the "for" and "while" loops, "def" and "if" which are essential for making different games)... which is justified since I wasn't really using these functions and that I started making a website first. How did I go from there to this? First of all, I've been meaning to make a website for releasing my games so I thought I should start from there. Second, job diversity is a thing in this world so I might as well learn everything related to PCS. Lastly, this is for making a project that will involve coding which hasn't happened yet. (lmao advanced thinking)

View attachment 10845
View attachment 10843

(This whole website is actually about Advocacy on Abolishing Poverty. It was my deciding theme for my very first website) I've already commented on all of my to-do lists as you can see here. After finishing the HTML(2h) tutorial, I finally am at the part of styling HTML which is also known as CSS. I thought it was gonna be hard which it wasn't. That's pretty GREAT I guess. I was doubting if I could ever make one, but it took only like a day to get used to programming (credits to stack overflow). There's more to the screenshot, but I think showing one is enough. I am not here to flex. :LOL: I still am not done with the website so I am gonna do it rn.

Anyway, I am gonna change the title to avoid misunderstandings! After this, I am gonna start making a 30-minute visual novel (which uses common assets and it's gonna be amazing! Cya! :s_wink:).
All the best.

But seriously, don't use Unity to make a visual novel. Ren'py is a great engine, just continue with that. Unity has high basic system requirements. Not only is it overkill, your visual novel will also suffer performance issues because you're using a 3D game engine to make a 2D game. There's no such thing as 2.5D engine. 2.5D is essentially a 3D engine that simulates a 2D environment while still being a 3D engine. If you use one of those visual novel engines offered on Unity, your performance will suffer even worse, as you're making games on an engine, built on an engine, that was also built on another engine, which was built on top of a high level programming language.

Motsu

All the best.

But seriously, don't use Unity to make a visual novel. Ren'py is a great engine, just continue with that. Unity has high basic system requirements. Not only is it overkill, your visual novel will also suffer performance issues because you're using a 3D game engine to make a 2D game. There's no such thing as 2.5D engine. 2.5D is essentially a 3D engine that simulates a 2D environment while still being a 3D engine. If you use one of those visual novel engines offered on Unity, your performance will suffer even worse, as you're making games on an engine, built on an engine, that was also built on another engine, which was built on top of a high level programming language.
Thanks. And yeah, Unity always had these performance issues and bugs that multiplies(which is difficult to fix unless the problems can be spotted immediately. I won't make a VN in Unity yet... If I start using Unity, I'll definitely start with small projects like tetris or snake. On the other hand, I've been progressing with the VN in Ren'py(had multiple revisions on the script and I am now making chaos on the UI's) while making websites from scratch (handling html and css is complicated... sigh, the path to web freelance is troublesome.

Keene

Squat Enjoyer and Programmer
I've never used or plan to use Ren'Py but if you ever want help with Unity (C#) and/or HTML/CSS/JS feel free to message me. If you ever want to learn a back-end language (Java, Kotlin or C#) then I can also assist. I have experience in all of these things.

Motsu

I've never used or plan to use Ren'Py but if you ever want help with Unity (C#) and/or HTML/CSS/JS feel free to message me. If you ever want to learn a back-end language (Java, Kotlin or C#) then I can also assist. I have experience in all of these things.
Thanks. I am still an amateur when it comes to programming since I just started this month. I haven't really continued the training since I was celebrating my holidays, whatsoever, I am getting back on track. In Web Development, I've been practicing patiently, slowly like a turtle, repeating every process to make the tasks natural. Right now, I am looking at website creation tutorials and templates to learn how and what is used to create a cool and great website. It'll take long, but after this, Game Development comes!

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Keene of all trades

Motsu

Mono#1422. I'd like to learn more about website development. Please teach me about HTML/CSS/JS or PHP/REACT/NODE if you know about them too! I'll wait until you have some free time available. Thank you very much!

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
PHP is for advanced maniacs.

PHP:
// A variable.
$var = "strtolower";

// Want to get a variable with a certain name?
$name = "var";
echo $$name;

// Stacks
$one = "two";
$two = "one";
echo $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$one;

// Calling a variable function
echo  $var("Hello");

Motsu

PHP is for advanced maniacs.

PHP:
// A variable.
$var = "strtolower";

// Want to get a variable with a certain name?
$name = "var";
echo $$name;

// Stacks
$one = "two";
$two = "one";
echo $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$one;

// Calling a variable function
echo  $var("Hello");
It looks like Python but uses different variables. I'll just take what is needed for me. Trying to take all types sounds a little too much than what it's worth.

Edit: There isn't really a good programming language, in my opinion, but I am not going for high levels yet. So, I think I'll just take HTML/CSS/JS because I still have to learn how to create a game.

Last edited:

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
It looks like Python but uses different variables. I'll just take what is needed for me. Trying to take all types sounds a little too much than what it's worth.

Edit: There isn't really a good programming language, in my opinion, but I am not going for high levels yet. So, I think I'll just take HTML/CSS/JS because I still have to learn how to create a game.
This shouldn't be demeaning of PHP, I use it myself for hobby backend stuff.

Just know what you're in for.

Of course there's no generally "good" language, but each has its strengths and weaknesses and thus applications it is more or less suited for.
I think Python is a decent start to get the hang of coding, but it requires increasing levels of workaround to its script nature as you get into classes, typing and modules.
At which point a look at a high level language might be in order.

Motsu

This shouldn't be demeaning of PHP, I use it myself for hobby backend stuff.

Just know what you're in for.

Of course there's no generally "good" language, but each has its strengths and weaknesses and thus applications it is more or less suited for.
I think Python is a decent start to get the hang of coding, but it requires increasing levels of workaround to its script nature as you get into classes, typing and modules.
At which point a look at a high level language might be in order.
I'll keep that in mind.

Keene

Squat Enjoyer and Programmer
Mono#1422. I'd like to learn more about website development. Please teach me about HTML/CSS/JS or PHP/REACT/NODE if you know about them too! I'll wait until you have some free time available. Thank you very much!

I strongly advise you to just stick with bog standard HTML, CSS and JS for now. Node is sort of antiquated now and sufficiently complicated and confusing for a newbie I wouldn't advise looking into it.

As you become familiar and comfortable with writing HTML files, styling with CSS and adding functionality with JS ( ~ 2-4 weeks) you can perhaps try make a simple JavaScript light novel engine that reads from a file. Perhaps make use of something like Bootstrap to prettify the website.

You could then choose to expand into PHP and JS libraries, React and React-Redux are good for state management and you could use PHP to add additional functionality, such as allowing users to upload their light novel script to your SQL database, processed by your PHP script.

Once you've got a basic understanding of the front end and touched backend code and databases you can proceed elsewhere because guess what, a lot of websites aren't actually programmed in HTML or Javascript. Instead people program a server to generate and deliver the appropriate HTML and JS to the client (the user). For example the URL of this page has threads/creating-a-visual-novel.7747 in. I assure you there isn't a creating-a-visual-novel.7747 folder in the servers directory with a index.html or index.php file in. Instead when you request this the server is using the URL to query a database and then builds and delivers to you the forum thread as you see it.

With this in mind you can make a light novel website in basically any language. With Java or Kotlin (my language of choice) you can write a ktor server. KVision is also awesome. If you like C# instead you can look into net core or Unity. Mentioned before, Node allows you to use Javascript (a front end language) as a back end server (I.E what you would use PHP for) but I wouldn't advise that. If you really, really love javascript you can look into Electron and other similar techs. Electron is what discord is written in.

To be clear, when I offered my help I didn't mean I would tutor you in all of these, I doubt you have, or are willing to spend the 6 figures I would charge you. :) And in all honestly I would not advise you to do that as there are an enormous amount of excellent courses on Udemy which will give you more than enough knowledge for your goals.

What I specifically meant is I will happily, in my spare time, give you a helping hand when you are stuck. "Why doesn't my JavaScript function do what I want it to do", "How do I do this in CSS" and so on. If you choose to learn a language like Java, C#, or Kotlin I will happily help you as I am very familiar with these languages.

Not python tho. I hate python.

Last edited:

Motsu

I strongly advise you to just stick with bog standard HTML, CSS and JS for now. Node is sort of antiquated now and sufficiently complicated and confusing for a newbie I wouldn't advise looking into it.
Uh-huh. Roger that.

As you become familiar and comfortable with writing HTML files, styling with CSS and adding functionality with JS ( ~ 2-4 weeks) you can perhaps try make a simple JavaScript light novel engine that reads from a file. Perhaps make use of something like Bootstrap to prettify the website.
Sure. Taking it slow and into naturality is the best idea. I'll try making your examples myself once I get the hang out of it.

You could then choose to expand into PHP and JS libraries, React and React-Redux are good for state management and you could use PHP to add additional functionality, such as allowing users to upload their light novel script to your SQL database, processed by your PHP script.

Once you've got a basic understanding of the front end and touched backend code and databases you can proceed elsewhere because guess what, a lot of websites aren't actually programmed in HTML or Javascript. Instead people program a server to generate and deliver the appropriate HTML and JS to the client (the user). For example the URL of this page has threads/creating-a-visual-novel.7747 in. I assure you there isn't a creating-a-visual-novel.7747 folder in the servers directory with a index.html or index.php file in. Instead when you request this the server is using the URL to query a database and then builds and delivers to you the forum thread as you see it.
That's interesting. Something along the line of a full-stack developer and how they do their work, I guess.

With this in mind you can make a light novel website in basically any language. With Java or Kotlin (my language of choice) you can write a ktor server. KVision is also awesome. If you like C# instead you can look into net core or Unity. Mentioned before, Node allows you to use Javascript (a front end language) as a back end server (I.E what you would use PHP for) but I wouldn't advise that. If you really, really love javascript you can look into Electron and other similar techs. Electron is what discord is written in.
To be clear, when I offered my help I didn't mean I would tutor you in all of these, I doubt you have, or are willing to spend the 6 figures I would charge you. :) And in all honestly I would not advise you to do that as there are an enormous amount of excellent courses on Udemy which will give you more than enough knowledge for your goals.
I was just expecting tips from a programmer, and surely enough, this was what I wanted. Spending money when there are a lot of free tutorials is contradictory. Learning of free will and appreciation is just what I am.

What I specifically meant is I will happily, in my spare time, give you a helping hand when you are stuck. "Why doesn't my JavaScript function do what I want it to do", "How do I do this in CSS" and so on. If you choose to learn a language like Java, C#, or Kotlin I will happily help you as I am very familiar with these languages.

Not python tho. I hate python.
If I ever have a problem, then I'll come to you for some solution. To be honest, I don't know how I went from trying to program a game to creating a website (but what I know is that HTML/CSS/JS can also be used to create web games). It's fun though. It diversifies my skill set for the near future. I won't try investing my time in advanced languages, therefore, the basics are enough for me. When the time comes, I will learn them. After this, I'll learn C#, C++, Java, and Python (sorry if you hate it lol).

Thank you very much, Keene!

MyukiMruieast

Departure of Motivation led me to want water
Here is someone making or starting a visual novel.

And here comes me who gave up animating.

Motsu

Here is someone making or starting a visual novel.

And here comes me who gave up animating.
That's just how life goes. You end up sacrificing something when you're trying to achieve something else. Don't worry, they do say we have enough time to achieve or do just anything.

MyukiMruieast

Departure of Motivation led me to want water
At least you can draw.
Yea, im thankful for tom and jerry in teaching me it. Still, I'm jelous of those who can animate and make comics— those two are my dream.

MorgueAnna

From one VN dev to another, I wish you the best of luck. Due to school and work, I worked on one of my projects off and on for about 8 years before finally getting it published, so don't get discouraged. I did end up helping others get their own VNs shipped during that time, so it was worth it. The VN community is pretty kind and helpful, if you get stuck. I'm currently retired from VNs but hope to get back into it in the future if my body allows it.